AC issue 2016 Jayco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fdnavy

I have a 2016 Jayco 264BHW travel trailer with what I believe is a Coleman Mach 15. It does not cool well  at all. The compressor kicks on and runs for a few minutes with nice ice cold air and then promptly turns off. The air, when running is cold. Today I measured it at 42 while the compressor was running and the outside air temp was around 70. I opened up the unit and found the foam divider separating the cold air and the return was knocked over. I fixed that and  taped it with aluminum  tape hoping that was the cure. No luck. Compressor still runs for only a few min at a time and never really cools the camper. Any ideas as to what would cause this? I also cleaned the outside condescor coils. They weren?t all that dirty. I really hope there?s a fix for this.  The unit is ducted only and there is no wall mounted thermostat just knobs on the ceiling return.  Also can anyone tell me the bast placement for the thermostat wire?

An A/C compressor cycling on/off prematurely can be caused by a faulty thermostat (out of calibration) or an overheated compressor that is being shut off by the compressor thermal overload switch.
Dirty condenser coils can cause a compressor overheat condition, but you said you cleaned them. With the outside cover off, and the AC running, CAREFULLY put your hand on top of the compressor and feel the temperature. If you can keep your hand on the compressor for a few seconds, then the compressor is not overheating. If the compressor is burning hot where you can't lay your hand on it for a second or two, then there is likely a compressor problem.

If the thermostat is turning off the compressor prematurely, see if you can locate the thermostat bulb on the evaporator coils and try to detach it. If you can detach it and the A/C runs cool without shutting off or runs for a longer time before cutting off, then I'd suspect a bad thermostat assy.

Good Luck,

If it is a wall mounted T-Stat. then placement can do it. IS the A/C blowing on the thing?

If it's a "local control" (Knobs in the grill) then above the filter is a Temp Sensor.  THe Installer MAY have thought "Frost sensor" and stuck it in the eaporator coils.

There is no frost/freeze sensor on ceiling control Colemans (I know I have one) the sensor needs to be in front of the evaporator.

Downside is it can (and mine has) Freeze up

Back
Top Bottom