To camp or live in a war zone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gwbeech said:
Never heard so many old cronnies in my life whinnying about fireworks one day ayear
Boo hoo just turn down your hearing aid.lucky I don't live next door

What? You don't care about the effects it may have on peoples pets?

Just to be clear, we have a modest stash of legally purchased fireworks ready for this weekend. Unless we get some rain in the next couple days, it's a no go.
That said, we live on a lake and with a north wind we will consider it as they will explode over water. That decision is my BIL's call as he is a fireman.

Gwbeech said:
Never heard so many old cronnies in my life whinnying about fireworks one day ayear
We have 11 wildfires going right now in Colorado, one is over 56,000 acres, and another is well over 30,000 acres. Many homes have been lost (over 100 that I've heard of so far). Colorado is a tinderbox from the drought, and many, many cities have canceled their annual fireworks displays. And that's just this year. A few years back, over 300 homes were lost in one (of many) fires. There are MANY concerns beyond noise (though it's often valid too).

I agree with your last statement, though: "lucky I don't live next door"

Gwbeech said:

Yes you are lucky you don't live next door to me. I would be on the phone every five minutes to the police until they came to take care of the problem.  It sounds like you wouldn't care if their were newborn babies living next door to you or maybe a 100 year old woman with serious health issues. You have rights that allows you to celebrate as long as it doesn't bother the health of neighbors. They have rights too. 

Gwbeech said:

You are welcome to participate in any conversation, but if your goal is to be an antagonist, then your comments are unnecessary.  Further remarks of this type will be removed. 

One towns take on the subject. Note the date.

July 4, 1918

The following petition is self explanatory:

Whereas, The City Council of the City of Anacortes, Wash., has passed a Resolution condemning firecrackers, fireworks or any other article containing powder, by the merchants of said city of Anacortes or the use of the same by any person within said city, for the celebration of the fourth of July, 1918, and has declared the sale or use of any firecrackers, fireworks, or anything containing powder for the celebration of the fourth of July, 1918, to be an unpatriotic act;

And, whereas, All merchants in said city have complied with the said Resolution, excepting S. E. Kerney, who has refused to comply with the provisions of said resolution, and has sold firecrackers and other articles containing powder, since the passage of said resolution, and has refused to comply therewith upon the request of the Mayor and Councilmen of said City;

And, whereas, Owing to the long dry spell there is great danger to the homes, and lives of inhabitants of said City, and to manufacturing plants in said City from fire as a result of the use of firecracker, fireworks or the celebration of fourth of July;

NOW, THEREFORE, IN THE INTEREST OF THE PUBLIC, we the undersigned do hereby subscribe the amounts set opposite our respective names for the purpose of purchasing for $33.24 the stock and supply of firecrackers, fireworks or other articles containing powder from said S. E. Kerney and thereby prevent the sale of the same to the public, and thereby prevent the use of the same by persons within said City, and therefore prevent danger by fire.

Gwbeech said:

Nope, I'm the lucky one, you don't live anywhere near me...

I don't suppose Mr. Beech could possibly understand what fireworks going off in close proximity do to someone that has issues caused by dealing with the real thing in combat situations. We make our reservations for the July 4th week at a rural NY State Park where fireworks are prohibited the minute the reservation window opens each year.

My town has an ordinance against personal fireworks except things like sparklers. As you can guess, there are aerials going off all over the neighborhood. ? I am definitely not a happy camper. If I knew everyone was going to ignore the laws, I would have tried to go somewhere like a state park where fireworks really aren?t allowed. The air stinks, the cat is not happy, and I bet I will have the devil of a time getting to sleep tonight. Poor police must be overwhelmed.

Oh, and some people just like to be argumentative.

Well since I started this thread I should put a cap on it.  Today is July 5 and we have been camping since July 2nd.  We had to go to a different campground this year because our favorite was full and we tried reservations too late.  The new one is large, on a river and has a lot of amenities - boat rentals, fishing docks, cabins, guide service, etc - none of which we used.

I need to amend the title of this thread.  It is now 'To camp AND live in a war zone' because that is what this campground turned into last night.  There were a couple of city and business fireworks shows close by but they were very organized and confined to specific times.  But it seemed like all day yesterday and until the wee hours of this morning all that could be heard was fireworks.  The cats settled behind the couch for the duration and the dog was not affected too bad when she was inside.

But late last night when I took the dog out on her last chance walk I noted that the smoke was so thick you could almost cut it. 
Seems every fire pit in the campground was going full blast so my old COPD took notice immediately.  Back inside the coach and hunkered down for the evening with cleaner, cooled air.....lol

Thanks to all who addressed the post of the antagonist.  I guess you find one like that on every board.  Hope all had a great holiday.

Bill

Compared to past years, we had a relatively quiet night last night. We may have heard 20 or 30 firecrackers going off at a distance and a couple of real loud one's like maybe M-80's. 

I can?t remember where it was since we have lived so many places, but the city designated an area of town, maybe an empty lot or big field, where folks could set off their fireworks. It was the only place in town where fireworks were allowed. If my memory serves me right there was EMS, Fire and Police on scene.

This year we had multiple neighboring  families, some part-timers and some renters, setting off some very loud bangs. They started early, and went on for a long time. One of the doggies hid under our bed, and the other was shivering and hiding close to me. I decided to crash at 9:30pm, with one doggie snuggled up (and shivering).

If the city passed a resolution prohibiting the sale of fireworks I would hope that they can enforce that resolution by charging the non-compliant retailer like 3 times the grosse of what he sold.

The money to be used to fund the fire department and EMS.

Personally I have no issue with fireworks, especially on the 4th.  Clearly nothing that leaves the ground should be used in close proximity to neighbors, or in towns/states with ordinances/laws against fireworks.

In Pa, we just legalized fireworks, and I expected a lot of noise this year.  Shocked that I heard nothing out of the ordinary.

[quote author=Gods Country]Personally I have no issue with fireworks, especially on the 4th.  Clearly nothing that leaves the ground should be used in close proximity to neighbors, or in towns/states with ordinances/laws against fireworks.[/quote]
Neither do I, but these houses are close together, and all (including ours) have multiple boats moored in the back yard. Meanwhile, I re-roofed this house after we bought it, to eliminate the shake roof which was a fire hazard. Meanwhile, fireworks are illegal to use or buy in this community, and I expect the folks brought them in when they came for the week. There were numerous public fireworks shows in nearby towns.

Tom said:
Neither do I, but these houses are close together, and all (including ours) have multiple boats moored in the back yard. Meanwhile, I re-roofed this house after we bought it, to eliminate the shake roof which was a fire hazard. Meanwhile, fireworks are illegal to use or buy in this community, and I expect the folks brought them in when they came for the week. There were numerous public fireworks shows in nearby towns.

I understand and completely agree that in towns and developments, etc, is no place for most fireworks, even if legal.

Winchester Bay was pretty loud all night. Big stuff. A local show in the park, but was controlled and time limited. But the surrounding stuff was plentiful and loud. Dog was terrified most of the night. Diane had some good stuff to give her to help calm her, but she still paced and whined.

Then to top it off, at 3 AM what sounded like a Tsunami warning siren went off for about a minute. That completed my night. Nice park, but not sure if I would do the 4th here again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom