my get home bag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jr brown

I have been a firefighter for over 40 years and never once had I ever thought about my own personal well being.  My little retired navy seal buddy told me I should make myself a get home bag just in case. So with his help we have a get home bag with us anytime we leave the house. He has taught me many life skills that I would have never thought of.  My friend has been to 3 schools on survival so he know how when and why about life saving survival skills and I have been blessed to have him pass these skills on to me. I would recommend everyone that travels to have a get home back with them and the skill to survive. Its been fun this last winter going out with my friend and learning how to start fires without a lighter or matches and how to spend the nights in the elements and to be comfortable. The bags is easy to make without a lot of cost . You tube have a lot of good videos . Be safe my friends and learn to take care of yourself and family.  Chief

Good post Chief! Most folks think their RV....is their “ get home bag”! When/if “IT” happens...the “last” place I want be be is “trapped” on a highway with hundreds to thousands of panicked, desperate people. If the situation appears to “very” long term, a backpack, with survival essentials.... and we’re on our way home. At home, we are better prepared for “IT”! Whatever,”IT” is! We will either die on the trip home, or arrive in “much” better shape! For us....it’s better than sitting in an RV, waiting on the end!

Sounds similar to ?Go Bags? that are popular in earthquake country. Many people I know in Utah had backpacks with survival gear, food, clothing, etc ready to grab and run if an earthquake hit. Kevin was a Community Emergency Response Team member and also had markers and some other stuff in his. No matter what the stuff is in the bags, the skills to use it are important.

My "get home bag" is a cell phone and a VISA card!  Won't do me any good for the apocalypse, but works under all other situations. :)

Cheers,

Dan K.

Ok Jackiemac  lets say you are traveling home and you have a accident and you are unable to call anyone and you are miles from help. In my get home bag I can make a shelter start a fire have MREs to .  eat If my 5th wheeler is destroyed I can survive.  The gentleman that said he has his credit card and a cell phone is in for a rude awaking.  Yes you do need the skills to use this bag . I train every month using these skills and iam passing this on to my grandkids.  There are schools that teach this type of survival skills. I have been lucky to have been able to train with a friend who retired as a navy seal.  The navy seal has been to and passed 3 survival schools . What a great teacher .

jr brown said:
Ok Jackiemac  lets say you are traveling home and you have a accident and you are unable to call anyone and you are miles from help.
My solution is not to go anywhere where I am unable to call anyone. My cell phone saved my life five years ago when I called 911 and passed out. The EMTs found me because of the location signal found on my cell phone. I am 70 years old now and I always have my phone in my possession.

jr brown said:
I have been a firefighter for over 40 years and never once had I ever thought about my own personal well being.  My little retired navy seal buddy told me I should make myself a get home bag just in case. So with his help we have a get home bag with us anytime we leave the house. He has taught me many life skills that I would have never thought of.  My friend has been to 3 schools on survival so he know how when and why about life saving survival skills and I have been blessed to have him pass these skills on to me. I would recommend everyone that travels to have a get home back with them and the skill to survive. Its been fun this last winter going out with my friend and learning how to start fires without a lighter or matches and how to spend the nights in the elements and to be comfortable. The bags is easy to make without a lot of cost . You tube have a lot of good videos . Be safe my friends and learn to take care of yourself and family.  Chief

Memtb said:
  Good post Chief! Most folks think their RV....is their ? get home bag?! When/if ?IT? happens...the ?last? place I want be be is ?trapped? on a highway with hundreds to thousands of panicked, desperate people. If the situation appears to ?very? long term, a backpack, with survival essentials.... and we?re on our way home. At home, we are better prepared for ?IT?! Whatever,?IT? is! We will either die on the trip home, or arrive in ?much? better shape! For us....it?s better than sitting in an RV, waiting on the end!

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

Same for us.  We have "go" bags at home and are always prepared for on the road.  Never leave home without fire, water, food, fire power, portable shelter, and a means to fish/hunt.  At the very least 100% of the time I have on my person my "Friendly Swede Grenade", Zippo, two knives, and my .40.  To each his/her own, but that is what me and mine do.

I always ask...Where would I go? If the country is in that deep, I am on a well, and septic system, I have a 20 Kw generator diesel at my immediate disposal, and an emergency food source for my family for a year. So, where would I go?

John Beard said:
I always ask...Where would I go? If the country is in that deep, I am on a well, and septic system, I have a 20 Kw generator diesel at my immediate disposal, and an emergency food source for my family for a year. So, where would I go?

The hope is that you wouldn’t have to “go” and it sounds like you are set up well. But, nobody really knows what the circumstances may be. Those who survived economic crashes in South America say they were better off in their neighborhood surrounded by people that would look after each other and those who were set up on a rural farm/ranch were the ones who suffered more at the hands of folks taking their stuff, etc. that’s the opposite of the mentality here in the U. S.

Fernando “Ferfal” Aguirre has written an excellent book on his experiences in the Argentina collapse.

As the saying goes, prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

FenderP said:
The hope is that you wouldn?t have to ?go? and it sounds like you are set up well. But, nobody really knows what the circumstances may be. Those who survived economic crashes in South America say they were better off in their neighborhood surrounded by people that would look after each other and those who were set up on a rural farm/ranch were the ones who suffered more at the hands of folks taking their stuff, etc. that?s the opposite of the mentality here in the U. S.

Fernando ?Ferfal? Aguirre has written an excellent book on his experiences in the Argentina collapse.

As the saying goes, prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

We?re kinda like John B., if/when ?it? happens....I want to be home or do my best to get there. We?re a little rural.... 90 miles to the nearest Wal-Mart, 160+ miles to the nearest large city (50 K people), a little over 100 miles and a mountain range to the nearest interstate (cities and interstates jeopardize your long term existence), water on two sides of our place, lots of hand tools, and pretty well prepared for hard times.  So....getting home is our first priority!

Memtb said:
:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

We?re kinda like John B., if/when ?it? happens....I want to be home or do my best to get there. We?re a little rural.... 90 miles to the nearest Wal-Mart, 160+ miles to the nearest large city (50 K people), a little over 100 miles and a mountain range to the nearest interstate (cities and interstates jeopardize your long term existence), water on two sides of our place, lots of hand tools, and pretty well prepared for hard times.  So....getting home is our first priority!

?A little rural?.  Like water is a little wet.  Haha. I?m jealous of your spread!  :))

Thanks! Our area isn’t real pretty (very dry) to look at.....but it ain’t crowded!  ;)  Our place borders the Big Horn River, We’ve also got a 300 yard range (and it’s “not” a driving range ), right out the back door! We’re a little too close to a paved road. If the wind is from the north....sometimes you can hear the traffic!  :mad:  “It ain’t heaven...but it ain’t bad”!

Memtb said:
    Thanks! Our area isn?t real pretty (very dry) to look at.....but it ain?t crowded!  ;)  Our place borders the Big Horn River, We?ve also got a 300 yard range (and it?s ?not? a driving range ), right out the back door! We?re a little too close to a paved road. If the wind is from the north....sometimes you can hear the traffic!  :mad:  ?It ain?t heaven...but it ain?t bad?!

". . . it ain't crowded!"  -Bingo!  We live in a small town, but we still live in town.  Decent neighborhood, we all look out for each other, but I'd rather them all be at least three miles away. hahaha

There was a problem with packages being stolen off porches on our block, including ours, I was going to put up a sign saying "if I catch you, I will shoot you", but, my lovely bride, the sweet smart person she is, came up with the idea that we'd put a package out on the porch with a note inside that said, "If you're shot and killed stealing packages, where would you spend eternity?" under the note was a bible.  There hasn't been another stolen package on our block since.  :)

Re: my get home bag
? Reply #17 on: Today at 10:14:28 AM ?
I saw a sign next to a driveway the other day that said  "We have guns and shovels".

:))  ;D    Another benefit to being rural,you don’t need a shovel....if ya got hogs!  Shovels are for gardening!

Back
Top Bottom