Buying a generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Optimistic Paranoid said:
It's interesting that you think that two gennies running in eco mode will be quieter than one gennie running in non-eco mode.  I'm not sure that makes sense.

But it's been a few decades since I played around with a sound meter back when I was a rock n roll sound roadie for local bands, so I'm definitely not saying I'm right and you're wrong.

I would be interested in hearing back from you after you try it, or from anyone else here who has actual experience doing this.

I am not 100% sure about the sound/noise either.  It's definitely more quiet in Eco mode with one.  I saw a video where a guy had four parallel Honda generators in Eco mode running pretty quiet. 

The Honda noise range is 57 dB(A) @ rated load 48 dB(A) @ 1/4 load.  Two generators running at 48 dB(A) should be more quiet than one at 57 dB(A) I think...  I would guess that two running at 48 dB(A) is like one at 51 dB(A).  I am not sure what load Eco mode is.

Senator said:
I am not 100% sure about the sound/noise either.  It's definitely more quiet in Eco mode with one.  I saw a video where a guy had four parallel Honda generators in Eco mode running pretty quiet. 

The Honda noise range is 57 dB(A) @ rated load 48 dB(A) @ 1/4 load.  Two generators running at 48 dB(A) should be more quiet than one at 57 dB(A) I think...  I would guess that two running at 48 dB(A) is like one at 51 dB(A).  I am not sure what load Eco mode is.

I believe you're right.  Decibels are a logarithmic scale.  A 0 to 1 db difference between two sources should only add 3db to the total.

I stand corrected.

Senator said:
How large is your A/C? 

I am planning on putting in another EasyStart on the other A/C unit too.  I am guessing that very seldom with both compressors start at the same time.  The A/C only uses a large draw for only for a second or two.  And I will have an extra 400 watts over two 2000s.  I just have to purchase the second generator.  Even if only ione A/C at a time is the answer, the two should be on Eco mode and be quiet, I hope...
Standard Dometic 13.5k btu we think.  Elevation is an issue so if you are going over 5K feet you will probably need 2.... 

You need to do the sums....

I hooked up the Honda 2200 generator and ran my front A/C unit. The front  A/C unit is a bit smaller than the back A/C, and the generator ran flawless.  I am still going to get another EasyStart for the front A/C just to eliminate any future startup issues.  I may be able to run in Eco mode 100% of the time with two generators.

I also picked up another Honda 2200i so I am going to parallel them with the Predator parallel kit from Harbor Freight.  I can get the Honda's from Home Depot for $775 and ~$845 with tax included after a few discounts.  I cannot get a discount on the Honda 2200ic, so it's ~$300 more to get the companion generator.

I will be out of town for a bit, but I may try to see what I can run with the two A/Cs in parallel on the Eco setting when I get back and get the parallel cord.

Senator said:
I am still not sure what route I am going to take, but leaning towards the dual Honda 2200 watt parallel option.  It would be nice if I could add a third one if needed.

Don't tell anyone, but there's no obvious reason why you can't parallel three Honda EU series generators.  Or more than two of any of the other the other parallel capable generators.  You'll have to make your own cables but other than that it should work.

Problems arise when you try and mix and match different brands that don't have the same voltage vs. load curves, i.e. trying to parallel Honda and Yamaha 2 Kw generators won't work because they don't load up the same.

I haven't tried it, but there's at least one guy on YouTube who has and says it works fine.  And YouTube wouldn't lie, right?  ;)

Lou Schneider said:
Don't tell anyone, but there's no obvious reason why you can't parallel three Honda EU series generators.  Or more than two of any of the other the other parallel capable generators.  You'll have to make your own cables but other than that it should work.

Problems arise when you try and mix and match different brands that don't have the same voltage vs. load curves, i.e. trying to parallel Honda and Yamaha 2 Kw generators won't work.

I haven't tried it, but there's at least one guy on YouTube who has and says it works fine.  And YouTube wouldn't lie, right?  ;)

After I posted that, I saw a guy with four Honda's in parallel mode on YouTube.  There is probably no real limit.

Lou, actually the problem is Honda and Yamaha use opposite sync signals, one syncs on rising wave, the other syncs on descending wave.

We've used the Honda 3000is for more than a decade now - love it.  It's secured under our camper shell in the back of our truck making it very quiet to us and any neighbors we might have. 
We have 2,700 trouble-free hours on it now and it still runs like new.  When/if it finally dies, we'll buy another one...

Are you sure you need a generator!  Its how you travel that helps decide that such as will you be boondocking alot, if so then yes you need one, if not and you will be staying at RV parks then you dont need one.

I would not recommend a champion generator.  I got one when i got my RV, the first day i got it it broke, it was short cycling and every time the AC came on it would die.  The MFG/Home Depot was really good about returning my money and i ask them to let me know what was wrong with it because their tech or the local shop could not figure it out.  They said they could not let me know and they said they would just sell it as used to some aftermarket company.  That is when i totally lost faith in them because they dont fix the issue they just pass the issue on to some unlucky person who gets it. 

Go with the market kings and one of them is honda, they are king in the market because they are good, very expensive but good. 

Be sure you get a quiet one, if it does not have a enclusure around it, dont get it because it will be way too loud and you will tick people off.

Best of luck...

I bought Honda?s three years ago because I knew I was going to put a lot of hours on them and based on advertised spec?s at that time, the cheaper to purchase generators would cost me a lot more in fuel to operate. Now over 1700 hours on these units and no issues.

I did get another EasyStart unit and tried to run 2 ACs on a 20A shore power cord.  The ACs ran for a bit, so I left.  When I went back out about an hour after I started them both up, the circuit breaker was blown.

I really did not expect them to ruin too long on only 20 Amps, but I wanted to test it.  Once I get my parallel cord, and hook up two Honda 2200 generators in parallel, I will post the results.

Of course, running over the shore power 12 ga. 100' extension cord with the riding mower did not help matters...

My vote would be Honda.

I've done light & sound for a music festival for 40 something years.  Only the Hondas last.  I have two.  One is 25 years old (EM650) and it runs perfectly.  I replaced the spark plug once and had to make my own air cleaner.  The other is an EU2000i I've had for about 10 years.  I had an even older one I gave to my son.  It's probably 30 years old, an EM350.  I replaced the fuel petcock on it.  Still runs.

We tried some other brands.  (Champion, Coleman) They were loud, unreliable, and failed completely in no time.  They used more fuel too.

I second the vote for Honda.  I have a Honda EU1000i I purchased in 1999, before the EU2000 was available.  It still works fine and starts on the first gentle pull ... maybe the second if it's been sitting for more than a few weeks.

I don't understand the attraction of the Companion generator.  All it does is put a twist lock outlet on the generator itself.  You still need the paralleling cord, and if you're going to get the cord you might as well get this one with a 30 amp RV socket in the middle and eliminate the twist-lock adapter.

Having the 30 amp socket on the generator means you'll use it more than the other generator, unless you buy two Companions.  But it seems just as easy to get the paralleling kit with the 30 amp socket in the middle so you can equalize the usage between the generators when you only need to use one generstor.

Lou Schneider said:
I second the vote for Honda.  I have a Honda EU1000i I purchased in 1999, before the EU2000 was available.  It still works fine and starts on the first gentle pull ... maybe the second if it's been sitting for more than a few weeks.

I don't understand the attraction of the Companion generator.  All it does is put a twist lock outlet on the generator itself.  You still need the paralleling cord, and if you're going to get the cord you might as well get this one with a 30 amp RV socket in the middle and eliminate the twist-lock adapter.

Having the 30 amp socket on the generator means you'll use it more than the other generator, unless you buy two Companions.  But it seems just as easy to get the paralleling kit with the 30 amp socket in the middle so you can equalize the usage between the generators when you only need to use one generstor.

I bought two regular Honda 2200i, and did not buy a companuion.  I can get the regular 2200i at Home Depot for ~$775, and the companion I would have to order to get it at closer to $1,175.  Almost $400 difference.  I will use a Predator parallel cable, with a 30 amp outlet in the middle, which I have heard works fine.

Back
Top Bottom