unable to get LP gas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kitekitten

I need help.  I have an older unit that I am remodeling, 92 Bounder.  I could not get the gas to come on so I did some research and replaced my CCI unit with a Safe T Alert 30 series.  I connected to red line to the aux battery, capped off the engine red wire and the light comes on.  I still can not get gas to flow to the stove.  I turned the hot water heater on and it clicked but never fired up.  My drive way is on a slop so can not test the refrigerator.  I'm guessing that the solenoid is the issue.

Thought?    Should I bypass it or replace it???

Please remember I'm a gal and not as savvy as some of you maybe, so if your response is technically over my head I will ask for clarification.  I am a can do girl, just need to know how.

Cheers,
Machelle

Thank you Dutch,

So I just remove it and reconnect the line?  Anything special to keep the lines from leaking (like the white tape used on plumbing)?

Rookie I know,
Thanks
Machelle

Yes there is a special tape for gas lines, I believe it is yellow in color IF I remember correctly.  It has been a few years since I worked on gas lines.  This is not true if the fittings are the flared kind though.

Jim
Kitekitten said:
Thank you Dutch,

So I just remove it and reconnect the line?  Anything special to keep the lines from leaking (like the white tape used on plumbing)?

Rookie I know,
Thanks
Machelle

If you have flare fittings DO NOT tape them.  Drive the coach to a Propane bulk Plant and ask for help with making sure you system is leak proof,  pipe thread fittings can use yellow gas tape.

If it is old / original you should also replace the propane regulator, they have a rubber diaphragm in them that is prone to developing leaks as they age, a good rule of thumb is to replace them every 10 years or so.  It is also possible for them to fail either open or closed.

You must remove the gas line solenoid because it is normally closed (no gas flows). Without the old LP detector to force it open, you cannot get gas.

Yes, just remove it from the gas line. Whether you need teflon tape or not depends on how you make the connection, i.e. the type of fitting employed.  Make sure you get a fitting suitable for a gas line and knowledgeable advice on how to use it.  If teflon tape is required for the fitting, ask for the type rated for gas use - it is almost always yellow instead of the white rated for water lines.    However, it's not a gas safety requirement.  The yellow "gas" tape is simply double-density and is used solely because it is less likely to let a shard of tape split off and get into the gas line and clog something up.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The yellow "gas" tape is simply double-density and is used solely because it is less likely to let a shard of tape split off and get into the gas line and clog something up.

And today I have learned yet another little thing to file away for future use. Between these tidbits and the mistakes I've "learned from", if I live long enough I'm going to be one smart dude.  ::)

Thanks everyone.  I really appreciate it.  I have a friend who might stop by tonight and help.  He is good at this stuff and I will share with him your words of wisdom.  I'll update you as it goes.

Thanks,
Machelle

The Teflon tape for gas is pink, not yellow.
No really.  The yellow tape is double density and the pink is triple density.  You can use any of them, but the denser tapes are less likely to shed slivers of tape into the piping if not carefully applied.

Y'all are complicating things for me now. I knew about the plain 'ol Teflon tape like for using on an airline, and the pink for gas service, but not the others. Learn new stuff here all the time. Thanks guys and gals for the continuing education.

For the most part anything other than white should be safe for propane use.  Green for example is petroleum free and Oxygen safe for use in pure oxygen applications where regular teflon tape may spontaneously combust under high pressure.    Though be wary of anything metallic (like copper) as it can be a thread lubricating tape used on stainless steal, etc. not a thread sealing tape.

I had a friend help and he removed the solenoid.  I have gas and all works well.  I do have a new sensor in to detect leaks so all is great.

Thank you all again for the guidance.  I now have a new issue but will post a new thread when I'm ready to attack that problem.

Cheers,
Machelle

Back
Top Bottom