Murphy Beds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pip

Anyone have one? 

We just spent the weekend with our in-laws in their bunk house.  During this trip, we came to the conclusion that it's time for us to have our own space on these trips, and go places with our kids that they might not want to go. Since the kids have been in bed, we've been online looking at different floor plans and models.  We came to a few conclusions:

First, their 28' is too big for just the 4 of us.  Our kids are only 1 and 3.  Between this, and only having a 1/2 ton I want something well within limits.  The in-law's 28' on paper is within my truck's spec, but right at the edge when loaded.  I need something I can handle easily by myself while my wife is tending to the kids during set up. 

Second, I've asked about hybrids in another thread I started, but those are out.  We both grew up in pop-ups and have nightmares of drying canvas before stowing or having to dry out in the driveway after a trip. I want to eventually travel west, and many campgrounds also restrict soft-sided trailers because of bear issues.  See also, reason one for ease of set up. 

This brings us around to 3.  Our neighbors this past weekend had a rockwood mini light 24' that we liked from the outside and started exploring more online.  They have a bunkhouse floor plan with several features we both like, but it has a murphy bed which is something we hadn't previously considered. We see several pros such as added floor space for those rainy days where the kids are stuck inside, being 5' less in length means I have an easier time setting up, and the weight is far below my max (and maybe even acceptable with my P-rated tires so I don't have to go spend money on a second set for travel).  So how are the murphy beds?  Are they comfortable?  Is anybody using one?  Any pros/cons you've experienced?  This looks like a viable option to address many of our hang ups on other models.  Thanks for your time. 

You truck has a max cargo limit. That is your limiting factor in most cases.

Many if not most 1/2 tons have P rated tires, they are designed for the intended load, ride, mileage etc. by the truck maker.

Floor plan is the key TT factor, you have to live with it when all else has been resolved.

So, if your family, loaded TT tongue weight, toys and camp gear are within your vehicle's max cargo capacity and you like the floor plan, you are good to go.

We have Venture Sonic 200VML with a Murphy Bed.  We're new to RVing (this is our first RV) and we've only had it a couple of months, but we've slept in it a total of 16 nights (over 3 different trips), and so far we love the Murphy Bed.  The mattress is a firm memory foam, and both my husband and I find it comfortable, but we also have a firm mattress at home.  I've heard other owners of the Sonic find the mattress too hard and add a memory foam topper to their murphy bed to make it more comfortable for them.

Our murphy bed is very easy to put up and down, and you can leave the sheets, blankets, pillows on it when you fold it up (so it's already made when you fold it back down). 

I believe the Rockwood is a different manufacturer than the Sonic (Venture is owned by KZ, which I think is owned by Thor.  I believe Rockwood is Forest River) so I don't know how the murphy beds compare, but we really love ours.

My first camper was a Forest River Rockwood Mini Lite with the Murphy bed.  It is just as comfortable as any typical camper bed but does have that nice advantage of being up and out of the way when not in use.  We did add one of those "egg crate" things to it which helped.  The "egg crate" thing is still with us on our current camper mattress. You are smart for staying well below your truck's maximum towing capacity.  It is scary how many folks do not know or care about that.

Thanks all,

I tow a couple dozen times a year.  And I've towed the father in law's 28' with my F-150, and his 250.  It's been on the scales with his truck, and my truck has has been on the scales so I know it's within my truck's specs.  However, I'm going to be setting this thing up solo most of the time. My kids are 3 and 1 1/2.  After a long drive, the wife will likely have them at a playground, or on a walk.  Having a trailer that's 27-28' hitch to bumper vs 33' will be easier to maneuver, and I'm looking at a Rockwood mini lite 2509S which has a 900lb lower dry weight than the father in law's jayflight slx 287BHS. I currently have P-rated tires, and would like to stay that way but if needed, I'll buy a second set of wheels and mount up some LT's but that's a cost I'd like to avoid.  The truck is my daily driver and I like getting 20mpg on my drive to work.

The rockwood floor plan gives nearly as much space for the kids when the bed is up as the jayflight, which may be important on rainy days where we're stuck inside.  I also like the external storage, and the fold up bunk on the rockwood because our bikes will likely be carried in the truck bed (already have fork mounts on my tool box) and the kids' trailer will stay in the trailer because it's a bit bulky even when folded up.

As RGP said, the floor plan is the most critical issue.  You MUST love the floor plan!  I believe the Murphy Bed may help with that perfect floor plan.

Note that a Murphy is a regular bed the folds up as one piece and without bending the mattress.  It should sleep like a regular bed.  This can not be said of fold out beds or jackknife sofas. 

When we bought our camper, the PO described the sofa bed as "the perfect bed for guests who have outstayed their welcome".  He was right!

Yeah, I'd prefer sleeping out on the gravel than most of the jackknife sofas I've been on. 

We've laid on the bed real quick while shopping a bit.  It felt like a typical RV mattress.  A memory foam topper will likely be the first upgrade!

We have found a way to integrate a murphy bed like the cabinet murphy bed mentioned from the user above. Murphy beds are a way better sleep than usual RV sleeping.

We had a Mini Lite with a Murphy bed. It was a smaller unit, a 22 footer, and the sofa was the only comfortable seat. If one of us needed to lay down, the other had to sit on the dinette. Not comfy at all! Got the camper in my signature and love it. With the more comfortable dinette you will still have a bed for two small ones. We have the theater seating but a friend has the dinette and it is something that can be comfy for an extended time.

Having a Murphy bed is actually a very good option IMO.
Our small trailer had a regular bed and since I wanted the added seating space I converted it myself to a Murphy bed, ditched the mattress that came with it and built a new one, and made new seating cushions. We are happy with the outcome

20220508_123227.jpg20220508_123417.jpg

Back
Top Bottom