Shopping for a CB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

I already have one in the coach, one of the all-in-the-microphone Cobras - works OK. I'm going to Bonneville in August and need one for the truck. Most of the driver/pit communications are by CB and I'll be taking the truck out on the salt. I've been doing some looking and while Cobra and Midland seem to be the top two (and have been for what, 100 years?) there isn't enough detail to be certain I'm getting what I want, which are these two items:
  • Number one need, the ability to switch the CB to an external speaker. We'll be sitting next to the truck and want to hear it from there. I presume many/most/all of them have a 3mm speaker plug since I see so many external speakers for sale, but I'd like the ability to switch between PA/outside speaker and built-in speaker. If I can't find one that has this feature I'll just unplug/replug
  • Side band capability. I don't think it's necessary for this event but seems goofy to not spend a couple bucks more and get it
It would be nice to find one that did a good (or at least better) job of squelching background static and noise without reducing the ability to receive modest real transmissions - I realize everyone's wanted this in CBs for decades but can't hurt to ask.

Anyone have model recommendations?

Also, re external speakers looking for recommendations there as well. I'd like one that is clear and has substantial output (volume) for loud outdoor environments, so amplified if necessary (and if there is such a thing). Most "external" speakers I've seen are not for outside use (for example, behind a grill, in an engine compartment, etc). I am looking for a true external/outside speaker.

The plan is to leave a 3' Firestick mounted for day-to-day, and swap for a 108" whip for this event (and any other time I needed to pull in everything possible). For this event will generally be approximately 2-3 miles over flat, open ground from where most transmissions will emanate

Thanks

Oh, how I miss Radio Shack.

I had a trumpet speaker behind the grill of a pickup and our MH for years. Never had a problem. Here is one on Amazon.

The last CB I had (went with the MH) had a PA switch on the front. I could either listen to the CB over the external speaker or use the unit as a PA. I don't remember how I switched back and forth between internal and external speaker.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
Oh, how I miss Radio Shack.

Me too!  :(

Alaskansnowbirds said:
I don't remember how I switched back and forth between internal and external speaker.

I guess what I'm looking for is a "CB inside"/"CB outside"/"PA" switch on the CB but no luck so far. I imagine there aren't a lot of dollars being spent developing new CB features these days. Probably a waste of time looking especially for as often as I'll use it. Probably just leave the speaker plugged in to PA, then swap to speaker for the rare times I need it for that.

Thx

I was browsing and came across a used COBRA thought I recalled where but alas. NOt.

IN the old days the big guns were Cobran and Johnson,. Johnson I don't hear much about but the top end Cobra's are still there as sare Midland both are very very good lines.

Mine is a Cobra

Now. in the old days Radio Shack had some good CB's basically RS-Top was Cobra/Johnbson #2 but priced as C/J #3 (Lower in cost so more band for buck)

But alas Radio shack has not been "Radio" for a while  likely why they are all but gone..

I was in Las Vegas the other day picking up Renae and had a few hours to kill and I saw a Fry's Electronic store near the airport.

I grazed the aisles and was reminded of the multiple small electronic components at the old radio shack stores.

I will admit to buying a few things that I did not need.

Sorry to have hijacked your thread but I was reminiscing.

Larry N. said:
Scott, you might look at the Cobra C148GTL, which has SSB, switchable PA, and "Receiver signals can also be monitored through PA."

Looks like exactly what I?m looking for but apparently they?re not made any more. Looking at a couple on eBay. Thx

Larry N. said:
I had checked the Cobra site, and they don't seem to make any SSB anymore.

I guess that's why they're referred to as "vintage" on eBay. Boy am I feeling.... "vintage"  :-\ .

CB's are not like they used to be since these sophisticated two-way radios; AKA: a Smartphone!! But i BET IF YOU STOPPED AT A FEW TRUCK STOPS, SOME HAVE CB REPAIR SHOPS AND MAYBE SOME OLD CONNEXES OR SSB  COBRAS, UNIDENS, ETC. FOR SALE!  8) 8)

these sophisticated two-way radios; AKA: a Smartphone!!

Although your statement is true to some extent, other things (different travel modes, different interests such as playing on the internet, etc.) also affect that reduction in use.

They are two-way radios, of course, but not in quite the same sense as a CB. A CB talks direct, while the "sophisticated phone" must go through a central office and switching process first. And with CB you don't need an address (i.e. phone no.), but with the "sophisticated phone" you do. And CB even gives you an automatic "party line."

I realize that most folks know this at some level, but all too many folks don't consciously recognize these important differences between the two device types.

Yeah, the old radio shacks had much more in the way of pieces and parts, connectors, etc... then what they had become in the last couple decades...

CB.... a while back I was pit stopping at a truck stop and noticed the CB radio cabinet.  I had a laugh because they looked just like the old ones dad used to have in the 1970's.  I used to go out and sit in the driveway and listen and flap my jaws on them... Anyway, i was surprised that they haven't modernized much at all.... well at least the ones they had for sale anyway.

Irover said:
My point is capitalized that  Sun2Retire could possibly find one at Truck Stops! Thanks!

Point taken, a way to see the radios in person since our beloved Radio Shacks are gone.  :( Thx for the idea

My first one was tubes and had all of 4 channels (an RCA). I had wired two of the crystal sockets outboard so I could plug in different frequency crystals for different channels without having to disassemble everything each time!!

Alfa38User said:
My first one was tubes and had all of 4 channels (an RCA). I had wired two of the crystal sockets outboard so I could plug in different frequency crystals for different channels without having to disassemble everything each time!!

Holy smokes. Is your last name Marconi?

Irover said:
Geesh! I"m pleased you stepped in as I would have never known! My point is capitalized that  Sun2Retire could possibly find one at Truck Stops! Thanks!
Ease off, Irover. I was replying to Brad as a joke (see the smilies? see how I addressed him in the text?), so please get that chip off your shoulder.

Back
Top Bottom