Registering rv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7627duncan

Hi, I'm new on here. I'm in the process of purchasing an RV in new york state. I'm a UK citizen and plan to bring it to Europe eventually. I first want to spend a few months touring the states. Does anyone the know the best procedure for me to register the rv in the states legally for a few months before I ship it. Any help would be great thanks. I've heard North Carolina may be a quicker place to register it

Your best bet would be to register it in Florida if you can get down here. It is easy to register an RV. Take the sales contract and pink slip to any DMV and pay them money.

Vehicle titles and registration tags are handled by the individual states in the US and procedures differ in each.  As Seilerbird says, Florida gets a lot of visitors and has well-grooved procedures for handling their vehicle needs. Big Florida RV dealers such as Lazy Days and North Trail know all the ins and outs and can help if you buy there. 

You will also need liability insurance on the RV while here and that can be messy (and expensive) for a short term visitor. Again, the larger dealers can usually help find an insurer.

Irrespective which state you register the RV in, check out our Guide for buying an RV in the USA. There are rules affecting shipping your RV back to the UK, including the minimum duration of ownership and how it affects VAT. Check out how one Brit dealt with the entire process in this forum topic.

Just curious, are you buying a new RV or used (second hand)?

To get out of New York state is going to probably cost you a lot of money. You will likely have to pay sales tax, license tax, plus what ever else NY state can suck you for.  You would be far better off buying someplace else, someplace that is more people friendly.

Back
Top Bottom