Best Route from Reno to Jackson Hole?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sadie greypaws

Howdy, we are new to the RVing lifestyle and would like to ask the forum for some advice.  Our first adventure will be from Reno to Jackson Hole.  Is it best to go up through Idaho or over through Salt Lake?  We're thinking of RV-friendly roads and also of up & down steepness of inclines.  Much appreciate any advice! 

Having taken different routes, we prefer I-80 to SLC and north on Hwy 89, while towing a Suburban behind our 38 foot coach en route to our summer retreat in the Star Valley (50 miles south of Jackson). You'll go over Salt Pass, which is not a tough climb, and up through Star Valley, then follow the Snake River. We've found that any increase in distance is offset by 'easier' roads. OTOH several folks have told me they prefer the ID route  because they "miss SLC traffic".

If your interested....you could go thru the Kemmerer ( an old coal mining town)area. Your only, steep climb... would be Parley’s Canyon going east on I-80 out of Salt Lake! Kemmerer,Wy. Was where JC Penny, got his start. The “Mother Store” is there and still operating.His home, is still there and you can do a walk-thru.  There is a pretty good museum , with lots of area history. Kemmerer was very active in the “bootlegging” business during  “prohibition”. Just west of Kemmerer, on Hwy. 30, is the Fossil Butte National Monument....world renowned for it’s sea life and fish fossils. Lastly, just south of town, is an “open pit” coal mine....was once the largest in the nation. Not sure now.....but once offered tours. It is “one very big, very deep hole! The pit and some of the massive equipment....really is something to see!
If, you go thru Kemmerer, contine north, up and thru the Hoback Canyon....you’ll cross the Snake River, just south of Jackson, Wy.

Some places to visit next time we go through Kemmerer.

Tom said:
Some places to visit next time we go through Kemmerer.

Tom, Just another ?tidbit? of Kemmerer info, Jerry Buss (now deceased), owner of the LA Lakers...spent his teen years growing-up in Kemmerer.  Moved there when he was 12.

If you go through Idaho as Seilerbird suggests, check out Craters of the Moon National Mounment.  May be a side trip, but well worth it IMHO. 

Back
Top Bottom