Resealing windows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Richele

What is the best exterior, paintable sealant/caulking for the windows? Thanks for the input.

Elaborating on darsben's reply, there are two "seals" on an RV window.  The primary seal is between the frame and the sidewall, usually butyl tape.  The visible external sealant around the edges is an assist only, intended to help water run away rather than possibly collect  in a gap and work its way through the primary sealant.  It is generally along the top edge and part way down the sides, but not on the bottom (where you want any water to fall away).  Most manufacturers use a clear silicone sealant for that, but silicone is not paintable.  You can use any sealant  that is suitable for metal or glass surfaces.  Geocel Proflex RV is one excellent alternative that is paintable, but you can find a variety of others at any hardware store or home center.

Thank you. Darsben I am going to remove and reseal all the windows I just wanted to know the second step that Gary answered for me.  The window that is giving me trouble is the front one it is not the typical RV window it is specific to the Award travel trailer it is a special type of modeled"plexiglass" and therefore oes not screw in like a normal window.  Still trying to figure out how to get it off.  Any ideas will be appreciated.

Sorry, not familiar with that special front window you have. Plexiglass vs real glass isn't a factor, but the type of window frame would be. Front windows on trailers are typically built into the front cap rather than the clamp-on style used on sidewalls. The exact manner of sealing will depend on the Award construction, but rarely is it just a bead of sealant around the outside.

There is an Award owner group on Yahoo Groups and I suspect that other owners have experienced the same problem. You can perhaps get some model-specific help there.  Front windows on trailers and Class C's are notorious for leaks because of the stresses & flexing that occurs there. Many models have eliminated that window for just that reason

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/award2/info.

Back
Top Bottom