Pet gates/doors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iheartvols

Every time we open the door to our trailer, our dog tries to escape.  I have searched for "doggy doors" for campers but haven't found anything.  Any suggestions?

I had an Old English Sheepdog named Teiler (Teiler Seiler was his registered name). The first thing I did when I bought him was to enroll us in obedience class. One of the first things he was taught was to stay. He quickly learned that he could not pass through an open door without permission. And when he came into the house he had to stay at the door until I wiped off his paws before he could come in. If you make rules and stick with them any dog will obey.

I don't know what kind of dog you have, but some dogs just don't like being told what to do.  I agree with Rene and Seiler -train the dog.  It may be easier than you think.

Our Doberman would bolt out the door if she saw something or someone she viewed as a threat, so we would take the precaution of leashing her up BEFORE we open the door and giving the "sit" command and "stay" then open the door.  She is only a little over 2 years old but it didn't take long to train her to sit and stay until we either close the door or give her the "out" command.  Now we do not have to leash her up if we are just going out the door without her.

Time and patience is the key. 

Tom--Do you have your cats trained the same way? or do they have you trained the same way?

We have a hinged baby gate that we added some sections of wire shelving on the sides.  We put it up behind the cockpit on our class A to keep the dogs from running out the door.

We have managed to successfully train our very stubborn Shih Tzu to sit and stay when we open the door.  She knows she can go out the back door to a fenced yard but the front door is only Sit - Stay.  Definitely not trustworthy.  She is a nonselective eater (anything on the ground is seen as food) so we have to  trick her to get something not good out of her mouth.  Favorite is mulch which she seems to think make good tooth picks but I am far off topic.

Bill

Bill N said:
We have managed to successfully train our very stubborn Shih Tzu to sit and stay when we open the door.  She knows she can go out the back door to a fenced yard but the front door is only Sit - Stay.  Definitely not trustworthy.  She is a nonselective eater (anything on the ground is seen as food) so we have to  trick her to get something not good out of her mouth.  Favorite is mulch which she seems to think make good tooth picks but I am far off topic.

Bill

We asked our vet about our Dobie grazing on grass because we thought dogs only did that when they were sick and the vet said some dogs graze like a horse (ours does) on green grass and it's no big deal.

Sorry, less of a hijack if I say we use something similar to this (https://www.wayfair.com/baby-kids/pdp/regalo-extra-tall-home-accents-walk-thru-gate-safety-gate-vqu1047.html) in our house but I'm not sure if it will work in your RV?

wackymac said:
Tom--Do you have your cats trained the same way? or do they have you trained the same way?

I know that this was intended as humor, but cats really can be trained. The understand a good deal of English, but most of them are good at pretending tha don't understand a word.

Our two like to come out and sit around the camp site with us. If I call out "Who wants to go out?" the both run to the door. They very quickly learn the boundaries of each new site, and stay within the site.

When it's time to put them back, I tel them "Go home!" One will obey. The other one makes a game out of it. She dashes under the 5er and refuses tj come back until I walk around to get her. As soon as I get there, she dashes back under the 5er, and will be sitting on the top step waiting to go in, and looking smug.

Joel

FenderP said:
I don't know what kind of dog you have, but some dogs just don't like being told what to do.  I agree with Rene and Seiler -train the dog.  It may be easier than you think.

Actually, no dog really likes to be told what to do.  There are two rules to dog training, for any dog.  Kids too for that matter.

1. Never ask a dog to do anything, you tell it.
2. Never tell a dog to do anything you cannot enforce.

I can walk my dog at heel, unleashed, and if a chipmunk is 3' away, she will not go off heel.  If I send her after it, and in mid-chase I call her back, she comes back.

I can walk my dog at heel, unleashed, and if a chipmunk is 3' away, she will not go off heel.  If I send her after it, and in mid-chase I call her back, she comes back.

Id love to see you train Mister Hank to do that. Hes failed two obedience classes because of his distractibility.

A good recall is life saving. My retriever found a rattlesnake on a walk in the woods, and luckily, I realized what was happening before it bit him. "Leave it!" is also very helpful.

Our new Shih Tzu is one stubborn cuss totally different than her 17 year old predecessor.  She is now at the point where she should have been at about 3 months old. She has not yet mastered the steps out of the motorhome and requires carrying but can make it up two of the four when reentering.  She obeys every command BUT only when she is on leash as that is how she was trained.  Most dogs just learn the meaning of the word but this one thinks on leash vs off leash mean two different things.  Anyway I am not contributing much to the thread.  Just a new day after a fireworks war night in a crowded campground.

Bill

Jim18655 said:
A good recall is life saving. My retriever found a rattlesnake on a walk in the woods, and luckily, I realized what was happening before it bit him. "Leave it!" is also very helpful.

Amen to the "Leave it!" command.

This campground where we are hosting this year becomes a ghost town during the week.  I'm in the habit of taking our dog out for his walk without leashing him during the week.
The other day we went out.  The dog headed towards the rear of the motor home, where he likes to "go".  As I watched him, I saw his ears perk up and he was gone like a shot past me.  As I turned around I saw a skunk, about 6' from the RV door.  I called the dog back and he backed off, but headed past the skunk, for the RV door. 
The skunk didn't spray(or if he did, he missed the dog), but the whole area stunk for a couple of days. 
Our dog is a 3 time rescue, so we don't really know his history, but it's fairly obvious to me that he's seen a skunk before sometime in his past.

Back
Top Bottom