Flushing the Fresh water tank prior to first use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sonar_91

Hello everyone,
                I apologize in advance as this question may already have an answer somewhere in these forums, but here it goes.

What do I use to flush and sanitize the fresh water tank on my travel trailer? It is a new trailer and I am a new owner. I want to get rid of the plastic taste that is in the lines before hunting season, and before it goes back to the dealer to fix discrepancies discovered after purchase.  I have heard that I should use a vinegar/water mix, but the ratio has been elusive. I have a 79 gal fresh water tank. Not worried about using a dump station after this as it is just water and vinegar and can be drained in my driveway.

To sanitize potable water tank, the accwpted method is bleach, about a quarter cup per 10 gallons of water.  Pour bleach in, fill tank, turn on pump open faucets one at a time until you get a strong bleach smell.  Turn off.  Repeat for each faucet including toilet and hot water taps.  Turn pump off.  Wait at least an hour.  Drain water tank.  Fill with clean water and repeat minus bleach.  Drain and repeat until bleach smell is totally gone and water tastes OK.  Your done.  Do this once a year to protect your potable water system.

thankyou donn, as per Murphy's Law, I found that very same link after I posted my question...lol

One other thing to make sure of is run the bleach solution through the low point drains and anywhere else that holds water. It only takes a small amount of bacteria in an untreated line to start growing a bigger batch of bacteria. And don't forget the outside shower if you have one.

I think 1/4 cup for 10 gallons of water is a little strong although it will work.  Typically, it's 1/4 cup for every 15 gallons of water.
In your case, you'd use about 1-1/4 cup of bleach. What I usually do it fill the tank and run all the faucets. Then I add another 1/4 cup and top off the tank again. An easy way to add the bleach is just pour it into a empty water hose then turn on the water spigot and fill the tank.
Other areas are the outside shower, washing machine and ice maker if you have one.  Good idea about the low point drains. I never use to do them but I will from now on.

Back
Top Bottom