Time to replace our Suzuki

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thebrits

Are there any 4 wheel drive cars that can be towed without a dolly. The Suzuki came equipped with a transfer switch so no problems towing. Just don?t know if any cars currently on the market are similarly equipped.  Thanks for your input.

You really need to do as Tom suggested.  Don't assume it's towable.  Example, all Honda CRV's were towable until either 2015 or 2016.  As far as I know, they can no longer be towed 4 down. 

But there are many that can.  Check the lists at both FMCA and Remco.

New or used, and what size range?

GM has some towable 4WD SUV models and in different size ranges.  Acadia/Traverse/Enclave and Cadillac SRX for the larger crossover SUVs, Tahoe & Suburban in the larger truck-frame SUVs. None of the smaller ones, though.

Ford has the Edge, Exlorer and Flex AWD models, plus the bigger Expedition too.

Jeep Cherokee, Compass and Wrangler are all 4WD towable.

Most any US brand 4WD pick-up truck will be towable, whether mid or full size and Ford, GM or Ram.

Suggest you peruse the Dinghy Tow Guides from FMCA or Motorhome Magazine for ones that might suit your wants and needs.

http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

Thanks, Gary. Do these models come with the built in transfer switch like the Suzuki, or must you add an after Market gizmo?

Not sure what you mean by transfer switch?  Did you Suzuki have electric-activated locking hubs?  That's pretty much old technology and no modern 4WD or AWD vehicle that I know of utilizes that sort of thing.  A few have a manual transfer case you engage from the driver seat, but many are now electronic and you just push a button to change 2WD/4WD/Neutral, or its fully automatic AWD.  Owner manuals give deatils for each type of draive train.

I engage it from the driver seat. Put the car in neutral. Toggle a switch until I hear a beep, then put in Park and turn the ignition to accessories.  Sounds as if it?s simpler these days. I?ll go take a look at the Fords.

As garyb1st indicated, not all years of some models are necessarily towable 4 down. e.g. the Chevy Traverse, which we looked at, is towable through model year 2017, but not 2018.

FWIW one Chevy dealer recently gave me the attached cross-reference of their models showing which are 'designed be flat towed', which require a dolly or trailer, etc. One caveat - I can't speak for the credibility of this document, because I don't where it came from. But it does indicate that you need to be careful about your choice of toad.

Attachments

• Chevy_flat-tow.jpg
    Chevy_flat-tow.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
A manual (lever operated) transfer case doesn't guarantee the car can be towed 4 down.

It depends on how the gears are arranged inside the case.  Many Toyotas, for example have manual transfer cases but cannot be towed 4 down because the engine shaft, not the output shaft is the primary source of lubrication, so the gears run dry unless the engine is running.

[quote author=thebrits]I?ll go take a look at the Fords.[/quote]
The 2018 Ford Explorer is flat towable, but it might be on the big side for you.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Not sure what you mean by transfer switch?  Did you Suzuki have electric-activated locking hubs?  That's pretty much old technology and no modern 4WD or AWD vehicle that I know of utilizes that sort of thing.  A few have a manual transfer case you engage from the driver seat, but many are now electronic and you just push a button to change 2WD/4WD/Neutral, or its fully automatic AWD.  Owner manuals give deatils for each type of draive train.
Suzuki Vitaras and Grand Vitaras used an electric solenoid to shift the real transfer case from 4H to 4x4hi to 4x4lo.
Jeep wrangler would be your best choice if tou do any off roading.

I towed two Suzuki Grand Vitaras, so an familiar with that. However, the old Sidekicks had locking front hubs that had to be disengaged for towing. Older ones were manual, but electric hubs were added in later models.The transfer case was separate.

You mentioned 4WD. Do you need off-road capability, or just 4-down towing?    I recall you used to do some off-road, but that was years ago!  We gave it up back in 2006 and went for a 2WD toad instead.  We rarely left pavement any more and comfort and convenience was the larger concern.

If it doesn't have to be a new vehicle, there are more excellent options available, e.g. a Honda CRV up thru 2014 or a Chevy Equinox to 2015.

Personally I wpuld do some maintenance and keep the Zukie.  Were on our second one and other than road noise and one fuel pump the GeeVee has been outstanding. 

LOL.  After putting over 120k miles on our two Grand Vitaras, we were so accustomed to the road & wind noise, the pitching ride of the really short wheel base and the mediocre sound system that we were in awe when we replaced it with a GMC Acadia.  ;)  Never had any mechanical problems, though.

Thanks everyone for all the input. On reflection we?re leaning towards keeping Suki for our toad and getting a new car for daily use. Won?t be beating up a newer model and we can still go off roading on the rare occasions we want to.  The only snag is the ridiculously high liability insurance costs in Nevada.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom