Are they really needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bmidkiff87

I?m about to replace the roof on my 30? TT and was thinking about removing the radio antenna and also the old tv antenna. We never use the stereo inside, or watch tv unless it?s a dvd, so is there any negatives to removing these from the roof?

I'm sure you'd prefer the experts to chime in, but sounds like a win-win to me.  Less weight and drag -well, a little anyway.  Unless you plan on selling it in the future and that may turn potential buyers off.

I think the improvement in 'drag' would be minimal. But be sure you seal the holes with appropriate sealant.

My plan is to completely replace the wood under the rubber roof, as I am replacing the entire rubber at the same time.

You'll do more good than harm !
On my old trailer the long thin arms of the TV antennae wore a hole in the rubber roof from the wind vibrating them. I had to seal it.
Needless to say I took it off and gave it away.
We never used the radio, so I had previously taken that off.

Jack L

I removed my TV antennae years ago.  It never got used, and I could see where it was beginning to leave indentations in the roof.
I tossed it before it caused a problem.  Don't miss it one bit.  The radio antennae however does get used.

Future resale value is about the only downside I can think of, and we are probably talking chump change unless the rig is less than 5 years old. I'm guessing that is not the case if you need a total roof replacement.

I am currently rebuilding ceiling joists and top plate on my fifth wheel.  Most of ceiling damage came from antenna leaking.  I believe the antenna leak happened only in freeze/thaw cycles. A lot of years with "sometimes leaks" equals a lot of dry rot.  Yesterday while still removing rotten stuff I found big wet spot.  Now I have to figure out where that leak is.  I don't want to get on roof until I repair the top plate and the ceiling joists.  As soon as I can get up there that antenna is gone.
I am going to use the antenna hole to bring solar feed wires into trailer.  I am wiring the coax from the outside to inside plug incase I stay at campground that offers cable. 

"future resale" is not at all in my reality.  I'll be lucky to pay someone to drag the old carcase away.

Mary

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom