Shattered escape window

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimnade

We've towed our '92 Alpenlite a zillion miles without any window failures...until now. Pulled into an Oregon State Park and realized our large exit window on our slideout had shattered to a billion itty-bitty pieces. Errrgh! Apparently, auto glass repair people can't help. Has anyone had similar experiences? It appears I may have to order a complete window and frame??? I thank you all for any reply and suggestions you may offer. Jim

Call your insurance company, ask if they cover the damage, and ask for recommendations on glass shops. When I did that, I was referred to an mobile auto glass shop that replaces high volumes of auto glass for rental companies.

Rene....I've contacted 3, the most notable was Safelite. We do have insurance, however, the $500 deductible has led me to searching for replacements that we could install ourselves.

Tom...thanks for the reply. As is most often the case, we never thought replacing a window could/would be so costly. We thought the glass could easily be replaced, far below our $500 insurance deductible. Errgh!

The glass is tempered safety glass, and cannot be cut, and that is the reason a glass shop cannot replace your exact glass.  It is just like the glass in your side window and rear glass in your car/truck.
With out knowing the glass thickness, it is not an easy question to answer.  Since (I assume) it is your own personal MH/Trailer, you have a possibly a few choices.  the obvious, find a dealer and see if they are able to locate a replacement.  A 1992 automobile, had 6mm (1/4") glass in side and rear glass, and if your trailer has this thickness of glass, you are in luck -----.  If you are handy, you could remove the frame and take it too a glass shop and ask them to install 6mm laminated safety glass.  This is the same glass as used in your windshield; other than the laminated glass that most dealers carry, only has a .015 vinyl between the glass, whereas windshields have .030 vinyl.  If the original glass is 3mm (1/8"), you could have a glass shop install regular window glass, embedded in butyl tape or silicone, to absorb movement and cushion it from breaking.  I would then apply a clear sheeting, similar to what autoglass shops apply for tinting glass in side and rear glass in vehicles.  This will offer somewhat of a scrim backing that you see on the back of closet mirror doors, preventing the mirror from coming apart, in the event of it breaking.
The obvious, as I stated, is find a dealer to locate a replacement.  Good Luck

Rene T said:
I wonder how a piece of lexan would work!!!  :eek: ::)

or a piece of laminated glass. I had both sides of my step van replaced and if I remember right it was only a couple of hundred $$ and that is a big windshield X2

Rene T said:
I wonder how a piece of lexan would work!!!  :eek: ::)

Lexan would work if the frame's rabbit is deep enough to facilitate the flex involved when using Lexan. 

Although Lexan would probably work, not matter what they say, it is not as durable as glass and WILL scratch and yellow over time.

Murphcrud said:
Although Lexan would probably work, not matter what they say, it is not as durable as glass and WILL scratch and yellow over time.

I mentioned it only as a cheap alternative until they can find a glass company to replace the window or locate one from a salvage yard.

I have ordered tempered glass to a specific size befire. It was for construction project not automotive though. They even offered it in a tint if I needed it. Not sure why they said it can't be cut.

Yes, you can special order almost any size of tempered glass, but before it is tempered, it has to be cut to size.

I might add, most glass shops do want to bother with small orders that require special attention. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom