How long does it take to bleed a 27 gal propane tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jwhite

My LP tank has a defective solenoid vale. The LP tank has to be empty
to replace it. How long will it take to bleed it off?
Thank you,
JWhite

Jwhite said:
My LP tank has a defective solenoid vale. The LP tank has to be empty
to replace it. How long will it take to bleed it off?
Thank you,
JWhite

1st, welcome to the forum. Unable to answer that without knowing how much is in the tank. Just make sure, all ignition sources are off, disconnect the battery, disconnect shore power and you park the RV far away from any structures. It shouldn't take long even if it's full. Let it bleed off slowly and don't smoke.

I'm sure I'll get blasted by some members on this procedure. 

One gallon of liquid propane makes 270 gallons of propane vapor, so you'll be venting a large amount of gas.

Don't vent into calm air, unless the gas can adequately dissipate you'll create pockets of propane gas in any low spots.

Are you getting the valve replaced by a propane distributor?  If so they may drain the tank for you.

To help dissipate propane vapors, you can use a garden hose with a wide fog pattern placed near the tank. The flowing water will also create air flow, which can help move vapors away from the RV.

As Lou mentioned, it?s much safer to do this on a breezy day.

This depends on the tank and the bleeder. But first if it's a solenoid valve can you not shut off the MANUAL valve?

IF there is no MANUAL valve  Visit a Propane Re-certification place. they can "SUCK" it empty way faster and safer and possibly even recover the propane.. (not sure on that). but that's the place to go.

If this is the LP detector solenoid, there should be a service valve at the tank that will isolate the solenoid when shut off without the need for emptying the tank.

As mentioned above the service valve should be upstream of the solenoid so should not need to empty the tank to replace solenoid. Also the solenoid is not mandatory so can usually be bypassed

"Bleed" can cover a wide variety of flow rates.  If it is safe to discharge the gas at all, there is no particular reason to bleed really slowly. At a guess, anywhere from 12-36 hours depending on the bleed speed and how much is actually in the tank.

An alternative is to burn it off in appliances. That works especially well if you have a propane genset, but a water heater and furnace can gulp fairly fast as well. Let the hot water run slowly so that the heater stays on continuously and fire up the furnace with the windows open. Still gonna be a day or so, probably.

NY_Dutch said:
Have you priced a 27 gallon permanently installed ASME RV LP tank lately? I didn't find a 27 gallon tank with a quick search, but here's a 29 gallon for $533.

https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-YSN293-Horizontal-29-3-Gallon/dp/B00I8IY6FQ

Oh okay im sorry i thought it was a regular portable tank. Here in Canada proprane powered vehicles are making a huge comeback after becoming almost obsolete for many years. Good luck fixing your issue

I followed the instructions from Rene on this site. It took me 2 1/2 hours to bled the 27 gal. LP
tank that was 1/3 full. I am so grateful to him and all of you. It sure beat my other option of
buying the new tank quoted to me for $776.00 plus shipping.
The happy new comer,
J white. 

Can you post a photo of the hookup area on this tank? I'm really surprised that there's no service valve at the tank so it can be shut off without having to drain it to service the downstream fittings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom