Tires on Toad wearing out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudshark

Hi All
Just hit the open road a week ago. Before we left, traded the Rav4 for a used Jeep Wrangler. Towing the Jeep for the first time and we are 600 miles from home. Noticed that the front tires on the Jeep are wearing out on the inside of both tires. The tires were at about half life. Now the fronts have to be replaced. Any ideas on what's going on?
Thanks

Sounds like needs toe adjustment. If it?s toed out enough to wear tires that rapidly, should be noticeable to naked eye. IMO toe adjustment is a DYIer if you're handy. No magic there.

jubileee said:
Sounds like needs toe adjustment. If it?s toed out enough to wear tires that rapidly, should be noticeable to naked eye. IMO toe adjustment is a DYIer if you're handy. No magic there.

I would think that toe in or out would cause even wear across the width of the tire as long as the camber was good.  I was thinking the camber was off. I found this online:

What causes wear on inside of front tire?

There is excessive camber in the front suspension, causing the wheel to lean too much to the inside or outside and putting too much load on one side of the tire. The car may simply need the wheels aligned, but misalignment could be due to sagging springs, worn ball joints, or worn control arm bushings.

Hi Guys
I did have an incident where the steering locked as I pulled out of a camp but it was evident very quickly within 100 yards so I am aware of that.
I will have bald fronts when I get to the next camp. Will have to get new fronts and have it aligned. Was thinking of having the back tires put on the front, new on the back. Thoughts?

Rotating the older rears to the front might be a good idea until you know the problem has been fixed, but I normally want the newest tires on the front for the best traction on turns. And of course regular tire rotation will help equalize the overall wear.

Since this is a new vehicle for Mudshark, we don't know if the problem existed beforehand or not. It could be that the toad has alignment or tire issues independent of towing, or it could be that towing induces the tire wear problem.  Tire wear on the inner edges can be either camber or excessive toe-out.

Occasionally the act of towing alters the way the toad alignment performs. This can happen if the tow bar tends to lift or hold down the toad front end, thus changing how the toad tires interact with the road.  More rarely, the toad front end reacts poorly to being pulled rather than pushed by the toad drive axle. This is probably a combination of several factors, i.e. toad alignment plus tow bar mounting and angle plus tire tread pattern. Sometimes the combination of various adjustments and conditions just works out poorly.

I would start with a toad front end alignment and would also make sure the tow bar angle was well within the recommended range, preferably dead-level (so that it neither lifts nor pulls down).  Since you are replacing tires, avoid aggressive tread patterns or oversized tires, both of which tend to push the steering & suspension toward their limits.

Thanks Guys
I didn't see any excessive tread wear when I bought the Jeep The tires although about half life the tread wear was even. It definately from towing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom