Tennessee domicile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdbgoat

I see a lot of recommendations for Fl,  SD, Tx, etc., but what about Tennessee? No income tax, but what about the rest of the desirables? Stuff like vehicle registration, ease of getting a domicile set up, mail forwarding, that type of stuff? The only drawback I see with Tennessee is fairly high sales tax at stores.

It's a very personal decision based on your particular circumstances.  For example, if you are buying a new RV in the near future, a high sales tax can be a major deterrent. If not, maybe of little import.  Tennessee does have a tax on non-retirement investment income, e.g. interest & dividends, so that may be of importance.

You can look up the vehicle stuff as well as I can, so I'll leave that exercise to you.

I was wondering about"moving" there from out of state,and keeping the vehicles I have now. Just didn't know if anyone here has done that.

I think most people end up taking the path of least resistance.  Since "everybody" recommends FL, SD, & TX; almost everybody ends up using one of those three.

Keep in mind that the various govt. people in those three, motor vehicle, voter registration, etc. are USED to dealing with RV'ers.  To them it's no big deal.

Even if the laws in TN look like they're going to work for you, if the govt. people only deal with it once in a blue moon, it may get confusing and frustrating trying to actually do it in the real world if they don't really know what they are doing.

Do you have a particular reason for wanting TN?  Family there?  Hoping to buy land there? 

Things to look at:

Driver's License and Vehicle Registration renewals by mail?
Annual vehicle safety inspection required?  Emissions inspection?
Cost of vehicle insurance there?

Cost of health insurance there?

Your will is going to be probated in your domicile state.  Estate taxes?

If you are buying land there, what are the Property taxes like?  School taxes?

Back
Top Bottom