2014 Ram Mega Cab 2500 Cummins Tow Rating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pagraham

I'm looking to upgrade from our Carriage Cameo 02-F29CK3, just uncertain of what I'm capable of towing. Door sticker on the truck says combined weight of cargo and occupants should never exceed 1782 lbs. Literature on 02 Cameos says that approx. hitch weight for a f29CK3 is 1730 lb., trailer weighs 9990 lb. dry.
I would like to upgrade to an Carriage Cameo 08-F35SB3, dry weight is 11,980 lb. hitch weight is 2,105 lb. just wondering if my truck can handle it.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Paul

I think you answered your own question max payload is that 1782 lbs ( thats pin weight, hitch, you and the misses, dog, wood bikes, tools etc etc.)if you try to load up that Cameo that you have now your already overloading your truck why would you want to try adding another 400lbs min. And thats dry weight you should be driving a 3500 now

2500 mega cabs never had much tow rating and really low load carrying capacity.  Dry weights are totally useless.
Trade the truck for a dually, then you would have no problems with the trailer in question.

Agree with the others - you are already overloading the 2500 with that 2002. 5W hitch pin weight is 20-25% of the actual trailer weight, so a 9,990 lb coach puts something north of 2000 lbs on the truck. The bigger one will be more like 2500.  The factory pin weights are meaningless, based on the dry trailer weight as it is delivered.

Plus, you haven't accounted for the weight of passengers and gear in the truck.

Dang, I was thinking I was already at capacity.
The truck barely squats when I hook up so I thought maybe there was something I didn't know about tow ratings.
I guess I won't up grade trailers now, truck will be the next upgrade.
I don't want to drive a dually, could go for a 3500 SRW.
Thanks
Paul

DRW really isn't that bad to drive everyday. I used to do it. The added stability is well worth the payoff. Extra cost of tires really wasn't a issue. I usually didn't rotate and would have to replace front before rear. Then I only bought 2 or 4 at a time.

pagraham said:
I don't want to drive a dually, could go for a 3500 SRW.
I'm also possibly looking at another pickup down the road, probably crew cab 3500 gas SRW. I've looked at ads and Kelly, but would be interested in real world experience. Anyone bought this specific truck recently or known someone who has and what they paid? Just checking on how accurate the Kelly numbers are. I'm not asking DRW vs SRW, gas vs diesel etc, just curious about real world numbers on a 1 ton SRW.

1 ton diesel trucks all command really high prices.  Especially if their a 4x4.  Unfornutately people have been brain washed to believe you must have a 4x4 to tow with.  4x2s although not desirable to people make excellent tow vehicles. 
I much prefer a 4x2 for the lower entey height, better fuel economy and better ride.
Mine is currently for sale and listed here on the forum.

donn said:
1 ton diesel trucks all command really high prices.  Especially if their a 4x4.  Unfornutately people have been brain washed to believe you must have a 4x4 to tow with.  4x2s although not desirable to people make excellent tow vehicles. 
I much prefer a 4x2 for the lower entey height, better fuel economy and better ride.
Mine is currently for sale and listed here on the forum.

Your point is well-taken. Unfortunately I will need a 4x4 for some snow driving I will be doing, along with some planned camping down some dirt roads that may have soft spots so I'm going to have to take the hit price-wise

It depends where you look try looking at slightly used trucks in Idaho or Wash or Montana . Lots of short term lease returns from Canada show up just over the border. Like Ltz Chev 3500 duallys with 3000 -5000 miles that some exec drove

I recently traded up from a 2005 Ram 1500 hemi quad cab to a 2015 3500 Cummins SRW crew cab.

The new truck weighs lots more than the 1/2 ton but gets better fuel mileage.

Example from a month ago... I towed a 7000lb trailer over two days into the city then out 25 miles west to weigh it. I got 13mpg overall compared to the 6-7mpg I got with the gasser. Empty, I get over 17mph around town and 20 on the highway. The old truck got 13mpg on average empty.

That is better than 30% improved mileage and diesel doesn?t cost anywhere near 30% more $$.

Oh, and I hardly noticed the 7000lb behind the 3500 though the chucking while pulling with the 1/2 ton was very noticeable.

I watched the used adds on Autotrader, Carfax, AAA and others for 3 months before finding the right truck. I did drive 1200 miles to get it but made a nice little vacation out of the trip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom