Do people leave their dogs in a motor home while traveling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never seen inside or outside spelled out in any campground rules. Unattended means unattended.

HappyWanderer said:
I've never seen inside or outside spelled out in any campground rules. Unattended means unattended.

Try asking the park management to clarify the rule. Every time I did that the answer was always the same, "Unattended outside". With around 50% of RV'ers having pets on board, most parks are not going out of their way to make things more difficult than necessary for their guests.

NY_Dutch said:
Try asking the park management to clarify the rule. Every time I did that the answer was always the same, "Unattended outside". With around 50% of RV'ers having pets on board, most parks are not going out of their way to make things more difficult than necessary for their guests.

Maybe not. We run into places that don't allow any animals.

Right now, there is only one campground in York Beach, ME that still allows dogs. They find a dog left unattended, inside or outside, and you're outta there. It's just a matter of time before that door closes as well.

Irresponsible pet owners aren't doing any of us any favors.

I have a wifi enabled "Nest" camera that I can check on the interior of  the rig while I am away. Usually I see my dog sleeping under the dining table, or not at all so she is back in the bedroom. She really doesn't seem to have "separation anxiety" when we leave the rig.

NY_Dutch said:
Most parks that have a "No unattended pets" rule only apply it to pets left outside the RV, not inside, if you ask them. The few that don't allow unattended pets inside or outside, usually spell that out in the rules. In many years of RV'ing, the only park I recall having such a rule was on Cape Cod, and we chose not to stay there. I have heard of a few others, although they're not the norm by any means.

What is "wrong, inconsiderate, and unsafe" about leaving a well behaved dog at "home" for a few hours? I assume you're not a fulltime RV'er, so do you ever leave your dog at home in your sticks and bricks for a few hours? Is that really any different than leaving it in your home on wheels?

If ?unattended? confuses you, you can Bing the definition.

FenderP said:
If ?unattended? confuses you, you can Bing the definition.

The word does not confuse me at all. When it's intent is not spelled out in the park rules though, I'm intelligent enough to ask for clarification from those who enforce the rules. And I know what those people have always told me what they're intent was by listing the rule. Parks that want no unattended pets left inside an RV at times, would be better served by a "No pets" rule, since otherwise, they can likely expect the rule to be routinely broken. Of course that would turn away about half of their potential guests, exactly why there are so few parks with a no pets rule. From a safety aspect, I would much rather risk leaving a pet in my RV in hot or cold weather than risk leaving it in my car while shopping, dining out, doctors visits, etc., in those conditions. Having your pet with you 100% of the time is neither practical or even possible.

Tell yourself whatever you need to in order to justify your irresponsible actions, bro.

So if the park management tells me the rule means no unattended pets left outside an RV, you think I'm irresponsible by leaving my pet unattended inside my home at times? Really? Wow...

Dutch, please forgive me for being brash. There has been many times when I wake up at 0800 and the neighbors are gone and their dogs are yappin. 2000 and still no people. Twelve hours, man and those poor dogs need to potty and walk and just companionship. It’s just wrong and I believe why the parks say no “UNATTENDED” pets. I get the feeling you ain’t those people, but because of them the rest of us have to pay. Get what I’m saying?  I’m sorry for being a bit of a jerk. I love my dog and hope others do to. It sucks to see pets neglected.

I've found that CGs clarify "outside".  Pets are very popular and people want to bring Fido along.  But they want to go use the amenities or site see a bit.  Who would want to spend their whole vacation stuck in the rv?

No need to split hairs over what "unallended" means.

Pugapooh said:
I've found that CGs clarify "outside".  Pets are very popular and people want to bring Fido along.  But they want to go use the amenities or site see a bit.  Who would want to spend their whole vacation stuck in the rv?

No need to split hairs over what "unallended" means.

:)). Agree. I fully understand that there are people that blantanty abuse animals, but some people really get carried away with protecting them.  Animals have lived outside for thousands of years and make out fine. No, don't leave pets in a vehicle when shopping, that's common sense, but having the state rule one can't leave a dog outside in the winter is stupid. Yes provide a sensibly sized shelter with clean bedding and oost will be fine. no. a miniature poodle won't be handle it, but many dogs desire being outside. A lot has to do with the individual dog. As far as leaving them in an RV,  unless extremely hot out,, open the windows and turn on the fans, keep a small fan blowing whee the pet can lay in front of it if it were wants. It will feel be fine. Don't forget to keep fresh water available.

There is absolutely nothing irresponsible about leaving a pet unattended inside a motorhome if the pet is not making loud noises. I live with three cats and I usually left them for many hours every single day. I fail to see how this is irresponsible. They are 8, 7 and 6 years old and all in perfect health. Never have had a health problem. All three love me dearly.

FenderP said:
Dutch, please forgive me for being brash. There has been many times when I wake up at 0800 and the neighbors are gone and their dogs are yappin. 2000 and still no people. Twelve hours, man and those poor dogs need to potty and walk and just companionship. It?s just wrong and I believe why the parks say no ?UNATTENDED? pets. I get the feeling you ain?t those people, but because of them the rest of us have to pay. Get what I?m saying?  I?m sorry for being a bit of a jerk. I love my dog and hope others do to. It sucks to see pets neglected.

I'd say you may be part of the problem. You should have contacted the CG at 0805 if there was a barking dog and the owners were gone for the day. You don't have to put up with it.  If the CG isn't aware of it, they can't fix it. The dog owner will continue to get away with it if no one says anything. If the CG turns a blind eye, then don't go back. It only takes one irresponsible camper with out of control pet to make the responsible pet owners take the heat.

FenderP said:
Dutch, please forgive me for being brash. There has been many times when I wake up at 0800 and the neighbors are gone and their dogs are yappin. 2000 and still no people. Twelve hours, man and those poor dogs need to potty and walk and just companionship. It?s just wrong and I believe why the parks say no ?UNATTENDED? pets. I get the feeling you ain?t those people, but because of them the rest of us have to pay. Get what I?m saying?  I?m sorry for being a bit of a jerk. I love my dog and hope others do to. It sucks to see pets neglected.

Nothing to forgive, you spoke your opinion, I spoke mine. My dog was well trained to not bark under normal circumstances, and since the RV was her home, staying in it alone for a few hours was quite normal for her. We've also been parked next to barkers from time to time, and as Rene suggests, we didn't hesitate to refer the problem to the park management. I have seen guests asked to leave a park due to too many barking complaints. It still remains though, that every time I asked a park management about the "unattended" rule, they said it only applied to pets left outside. That would be similar to the "No alcohol" rules at some parks that also only apply to outside use, not what you do inside your RV. It's all good...

We leave our two labs in the MH when they can't come with us. We also have a sign on our door that there are pets inside. Depending on the campground, we  also leave our door unlocked. We leave the radio. Seems to drown out the noise outside. Planning a trip next month and we know one of our excursions will be an all day event where dogs are not allowed. I looked on Yelp and found a local dog walker (you probably can get recommendation from the campground office as well). Will be hiring them a few times that day to take the dogs out for a walk and a bathroom break. We have also left our dogs at local cage-free dog boarding facilities. They love playing with the other dogs.

We travel with two cats and a dog.  We do leave them in the coach when we go off for a visit or to eat out.  BUT, I have a large sign that I place in the front windshield (readable from 20-30 feet away) that lists both of our cellphone numbers and requests immediate notification if our animals are annoying anybody or if power to the campground is lost.  So far we have not had any calls but have had two other campers with animals copy down what is on our sign so they can make their own.  We also have a factory made little sign that is permanently attached to a window near the door notifying firefighters that there are animals inside.  We try to never be gone more than 3 hours and make sure the dog has it's potty needs met before we leave.  The cats have a litter box and specialize in crawling in behind the curtain on the windshield and looking out at the people passing by.

Bill

Rene T said:
I'd say you may be part of the problem. You should have contacted the CG at 0805 if there was a barking dog and the owners were gone for the day. You don't have to put up with it.  If the CG isn't aware of it, they can't fix it. The dog owner will continue to get away with it if no one says anything. If the CG turns a blind eye, then don't go back. It only takes one irresponsible camper with out of control pet to make the responsible pet owners take the heat.

I have never complained about barking dogs because usually being inside their barks are muffled and, in my experience thus far, they usually calm down after a bit. BUT I do complain about people who like to sit outside around a campfire and the smoke is drifting right into or around my coach.  I have bad lung problems and it is not just an annoyance it is a medical necessity that I stay away from smoky areas.  I feel bad complaining but so far it has only been to the people themselves and not management and in every case they have been very understanding. One group moved to another members coach which was on the other side of the campground.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom