Do people leave their dogs in a motor home while traveling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shot records for the cat and dog are in the RV and on my phone. Never been asked to show them but times are changing.

Cheers

When we visit our daughter in Ontario we always cross at Port Huron and we have always been asked for the dog and cat vaccination papers.  I don't think the guy has ever actually read them but he does make us hand them over.

Bill

We crossed at Port Huron/Sarnia and Lewiston/Queenston probably a dozen times over the years with our dog, and never had to show her papers, even when we were sent for a random pick secondary inspection. One of the officers even showed my wife where she could walk the dog while we were waiting for another officer to finish checking out the coach. I don't recall if we were asked if we had them though.

We've never had any complains about our 2.5 cats barking.  They stay in the MH when we go sightseeing.  Our 1.5 cat, Rusty, is leash trained so we take him outside every so often.  In about 12 days he is going on his 17th trip across the U.S.

NY_Dutch said:
We crossed at Port Huron/Sarnia and Lewiston/Queenston probably a dozen times over the years with our dog, and never had to show her papers, even when we were sent for a random pick secondary inspection. One of the officers even showed my wife where she could walk the dog while we were waiting for another officer to finish checking out the coach. I don't recall if we were asked if we had them though.
I have crossed at Port Huron/Sarnia 5 times and each time they requested the papers on the two cats and one dog.  BUT they only glanced at them so I think it was a case of just seeing if we had them - this was going into Canada but never returning to the US.

Bill

I spent 8 years traveling with my 7 pound dog in a Class C motorhome. It took some training, but he learned to stay home quietly, though he will set up a ruckus if he thinks someone is bothering the rig or the campsite.

Whenever I could bring him with me sightseeing, I certainly did. Matter of fact he saw Niagara Falls and had his souvenir photo taken.  As we were walking to and from the falls, many sales clerks from stores stepped outside to let me know he could come inside shopping. :)

Other times he had to be left inside locked up. He loved having all the window shades up so he could patrol his rig. Of course I left him with AC or heat. Sometimes I had to run the generator to keep him cool while I was shopping or doing something he couldn't come with me.

He has been to several outdoor restaurants or places with optional outside seating. I always asked first if he could sit on his leash under my table and he was never denied. I had my own water dish though many thoughtfully provided one.

If the music was already playing when I went to leave him alone, I just left it on for him. If it was already off, I left it off. He does seem to enjoy the music though. He hears it so much when I am around.

When I tell him he has to stay, he gives me that crestfallen look like I just ran over his mother. But when I come home, he is wildly enthusiastic and optimistically sniffs my purse and pockets in case I have a treat for him. His typical reward is a nice walk when I come home. If we are in a parking lot, then it's a brief brisk walk but long enough for him to water some bushes and do some pee mail.

I do a lot of sight seeing on my bicycle and he loves riding in the front basket. I bring extra water to share with him and we stop to walk some while the bike is locked up.

I would have never gone so far and wide for 8 years without my little copilot.

Ghostman said:
I agree with Sarge that is how I know most people leave them in there RV. They are barking.

Some people don't know, (and therefore refuse to believe), that their babies bark constantly while left in a RV.
That's because dogs always stop barking as soon as they hear, (or see), that Mom and Dad are back.

That's because dogs always stop barking as soon as they hear, (or see), that Mom and Dad are back.

My dog is the opposite, He is mostly quiet while I am gone, though he does bark if someone comes close to the coach. I know this because Ive asked. Ive also walked up from a direction he couldnt see me and all was quiet. However as soon as he knows Im home, he starts barking hysterically like someone is torturing him and I need to get in there now to save him. lol

cadee2c said:
My dog is the opposite, He is mostly quiet while I am gone, though he does bark if someone comes close to the coach. I know this because Ive asked. Ive also walked up from a direction he couldnt see me and all was quiet. However as soon as he knows Im home, he starts barking hysterically like someone is torturing him and I need to get in there now to save him. lol

Yup, our current pup is just like this.  You'd think someone was taking a belt to him when he hears usf drive up, but numerous people have told us he makes no noise while we're gone(well, except for the one camp host that had his GSD with him on his rounds.  He commented that our little 10lb rescue sure wanted a piece of his GS).
Our previous chihuahua had separation issues.  He'd continue to make more noise than you'd think a 4 lb dog could make until we were out of sight(if walking away from the coach).  Funny thing was, that if saw us get in the car to leave he made no noise at all.

How many dogs do you have? If these are two, then you can take them with you. It is better to take them with you. On the contrary, I know many alert systems are available to make you aware what they are doing in RVs, but as animals rights' activist, I have noticed many cases where dogs felt discomfort and made a misfortune.

There is a photo on the internet and I think in one of the forums here (Around the campfire?) The Dog did not care to remain inside the trailer so. Exited.  Much to the loss of a door.

I have a cat. he is very happy to remain inside.. In fact if I leave the door open he will sit there looking at me like CLOSE THE DOOR STUPID.

Our dog camped with us for all 16 years of her life, including the last 6 years of it fulltiming. Early on, we would give a neighbor our cell phone number and ask to be called if the dog caused any problems while we were out. We never got a call, and the motion controlled camera we left inside mostly just showed her sleeping. We did return once at one park to be told that she had indeed barked some, but the neighbor called the park manager and it was taken care of. Then she laughed, and said the 6 or 7 year old boy across the road would run over and bang on our RV to get her barking and then run away. The manager came and spoke to the kid's mother, and that was that...  :)

I have two Shih-Tzu's that have been tent camping, and fishing with me for the past 9 years or so. In the past they wen were I did and either stayed in the tent, truck, or boat with me. Now that we have a 5er they can stay behind on colder/hotter days.

I find most campground rules are more like guidelines, and only enforced when someone is being a nuisance to other campers.

As typical, both sides are right in this one.  It is VERY annoying to be parked next to a yipping dog all day/night.  At the same time, not all dogs are bark monsters.

Manage your pet in a way that is considerate for others and everyone's life is good....

-Kyle

Hanr3 said:
I have two Shih-Tzu's that have been tent camping, and fishing with me for the past 9 years or so. In the past they wen were I did and either stayed in the tent, truck, or boat with me. Now that we have a 5er they can stay behind on colder/hotter days.

I find most campground rules are more like guidelines, and only enforced when someone is being a nuisance to other campers.
We travel with a young Shih Tzu and two middle age cats.  Despite coming to us at different times they have managed to adapt to each other and live peacefully.  They also love the motorhome travel - one cat rides the dashboard and the other one hides...lol.  But as for leaving them alone while we do a two or three hour day trip we often do that but I have a large sign that I put in my front window stating that if campground power is lost please notify us at the listed phone numbers.  The sign is large enough to read from the road in front and we also leave a note at the front desk.  Never had any complaints about barking but, when we are there, she will usually growl or give some light barks to alert us of somebody or something passing by.

Bill

We have a temperature monitor and signs with our phone numbers in case of problems. Also a sign by the door  " Dog, Cat and Husband inside.. Please rescue the Dog and Cat"

Monitor alerts the cell phone when heat is over 80 degrees.  (Ebay-- Smart4house temperature monitor $49.95)

In many years of camping and fishing we have only had to return due to temperature problems 3 times..

Cheers 

When we leave our dog in the motor home, I've had neighbors tell us that he never makes any noise until we pull up in front of the coach.  Then you can here him from 3 sites away until we get the door of the coach opened.

When we leave our dog in the motor home, I've had neighbors tell us that he never makes any noise until we pull up in front of the coach.  Then you can here him from 3 sites away until we get the door of the coach opened.

Yup thats Hank.

You can hear MJ through the closed up RV and even when we're still in the Jeep with the windows rolled up.  Some of these people must think we beat the crap out of him.  It makes us laugh every time we come home.

lostintimetoystore said:
My wife and I are looking to buy a motor home maybe a 20 ft one you can drive and we are looking to travel with our dogs and will want to stop and see sights and we wanted to know if anybody leaves there pets while they are gone in the home and can you keep air or heat on for them depending on the seasons? Also with they be secure inside by just locking the doors. We are very new at this as you can tell and would love some advice for traveling with pets.

Thanks

Better you can go with pet temperature monitor! I'm using it for a couple of weeks it alerts when the temperature has gone high. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom