Finding right Fifth Wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gps42

Last year I bot a travel trailer to pull with my Chev 1500.  I believe that I was within all the weight limits, but I was still unhappy with way it moved around especially on the Interstate with all the semis going by at 75 mph or more.  I have now decided that I would like to buy a 5th wheel ( I know that I will also need to upgrade my pickup).  We at times would like to take my wife's sister and husband along on some of our trips and they are very fussy when it comes to where they sleep.  In other words they do not like sleeping on the dinette bed that we makeup at night.  What I thought might work would be something that had a 2nd bed that was more or Les permanent.  With all the thousands of RV's out there, is there something like that out there without going to a high end model?

Look at toy haulers. They often have a half bath in the aft compartment, and that compartment can be easily converted in a nice bedroom - completely separate sleeping quaters

There are models with separate "bedrooms", but the beds are usually bunks more intended for the chitlins.  To find a full-time separate bedroom, or even bed, may prove difficult.  I don't think high-end has as much to do with it as demand for something like that.  It would likely be a large 5th wheel and you would need an equally large truck to pull it (F-350/3500 or above).  You might be better off convincing them to buy their own RV and y'all go caravaning that way.  My wife and I and my Dad would meet up several times during a year when he was still with us.  We thoroughly enjoyed camping with him.

Sun2Retire said:
Look at toy haulers. They often have a half bath in the aft compartment, and that compartment can be easily converted in a nice bedroom - completely separate sleeping quaters

Agreed but only in the 5th versions and yes your are also looking at 3500s probably duallys

I have seen models where the living room had a door, but still had the "usual" sofa bed.  That gets you half way there.  Consider a tall air mattress for improved sleeping, like this. 

http://www.intexcorp.com/store/airbeds/dura-beam

At 16 +inches tall, they are seat height, so easy to get out of.  Most have built in air pumps.

For the new tow vehicle, go with a F350 / 3500!!  For the same physical size and virtually the same price (SRW) as  F250/2500, you get an extra 1500# of payload.  The ? ton trucks will not carry you and 3 more adults plus a decent FW.

Floorplan, floorplan, floorplan.
We climbed into a zillion RVs at the RV expos.
We looked at more floorplans online.
This site lets you look at a *lot* of floorplans.
https://www.rvingplanet.com/rvs

We do take Mother camping with us.  I did get a bigger 5er with a second bedroom.  Technically it is a bunk house, but Mother sleeps on the queen(ish) sized lower and the upper bunk is storage space for her.

The Silverback I just sold had a queen-size sofa bed and it actually had a great mattress on it (not foam) and was very comfy.  As you look at 5ers just ask to fold the sofa bed out and give it a try.  You'll know if it is foam or the real deal.

gravesdiesel said:
I second the fifth wheel toy hauler.  That is what my next one will be and I just ordered a 4500 Dodge Ram.

Why a 4500? What are planning to tow? When i got my 350 i could have bought an identicaly equiped 450 for less money but the 450 had 500lbs less cargo capacity than tbe 350  and it had 4.10 rear end which gets less mpg but more torque out of the hole which is the trade off . I opted for the 350 because of those factors and figured what i saved in purchase price i would loose in fuel

steveblonde said:
Why a 4500? What are planning to tow? When i got my 350 i could have bought an identicaly equiped 450 for less money but the 450 had 500lbs less cargo capacity than tbe 350  and it had 4.10 rear end which gets less mpg but more torque out of the hole which is the trade off . I opted for the 350 because of those factors and figured what i saved in purchase price i would loose in fuel

I haul a lot of equipment (scissor lifts and electric pallet jacks) on my flat bed.  The flat bed itself is not light either.  I would rather go with overkill than underkill. The 4500 has much better brakes and tires than the 3500 also.  Plus I will still have my current two 3500s, but also the heavier truck when needed.

Check out the K-Z 281BHK 5er.
https://www.kz-rv.com/products/sportsmen-travel-trailers-and-fifth-wheels/fifth-wheel-281BHK.html

It has the read dual bunks and the queen up front. Plus it has one full bath and one half bath (stool and sink). The half bath is located on the nose by the queen bed.
GVWR is 9,200 pounds.
Length is roughly 34'.

It's a pretty lite unit.

There are some that have a 'den' or mid-bunk room, which leaves the whole back open for living/kitchen. I'm not sure how big you want to go. I just purchased this: http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=505&Image=24932&ModelID=3983#Main
The couch in the den folds out to a full-size bed and the couch in the living are folds out to a queen, but some models like this have true sofa-beds instead. I bought thick mattress toppers which make them more comfortable to sleep on.
The master is smaller than most fifth-wheels.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom