Veterans discount at Lowe's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
I just found out that military active personnel and veterans get a 10% discount all the time.  All you need to do is go in and show them a copy of your DD214 or ID card, give them a phone number and that's it. When you check out, they'll ask for your number, they'll enter it in the cash register and the discount applies automatically.

They've had that in place for several years now.  It can be a big savings especially when you need a major appliance.

If you fill out the app on line it becomes automatic when they look up your name and phone number.......no hassle, no argument.  I get it at most local Ace hardware also, I show them my VAcard and it a go, same discount!

If you use a MyLowes card, they can tie your veterans status to that also. I have various cards like that, such as grocery stores, etc. I have them all on an app called Keyring, and the app works fine there, and at BJ'S etc. BJ's gas pumps also pick up the barcode on the app.

Home Depot also has this discount. Also, many restaurant offer 10% to vets and active military. You just have to ask.

Rene T said:
I just found out that military active personnel and veterans get a 10% discount all the time.  All you need to do is go in and show them a copy of your DD214 or ID card, give them a phone number and that's it. When you check out, they'll ask for your number, they'll enter it in the cash register and the discount applies automatically.

However as I understand it when I looked into it previously, it's not 10% for all veterans all the time:

To further explain the policy, military personnel who are currently serving can receive the discount. Additionally, veterans who have retired after 20 years of service or receive VA benefits may obtain the discount. If you do not fall under either of those descriptions, Lowe?s offers all veterans a 10% discount on three holidays which include Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veterans Day. Immediate family members including spouses and children up to 18 years old can also get the 10% off savings

Lowe's has offered a 10% discount everyday now for a while. (At least a year). Home Depot only offers a veteran discount on a few days a year. Lowe's also gives the discount everyday to any honorably discharged vet, not just a few days a year.

ro1459 said:
Home Depot also has this discount. Also, many restaurant offer 10% to vets and active military. You just have to ask.

I called HD and they said they only give on special occasions like Veterans day, 4th of July and there may have been another one.

jymbee said:
However as I understand it when I looked into it previously, it's not 10% for all veterans all the time:

I've used it 3 times in the last 3 days and I received it with no questions asked.

Both Lowe's and Home Depot have been providing a military discount for many years.  I have used it at least since I bought my first house back in 1997.  Home Depot does have some quirks with theirs, but still, I get what I can anytime I am there.  Lowe's just recently (this year) started requiring vets to register (either in person at a service desk, or even easier, online).  They will then use your phone number to verify the discount.  Have not had any issue with this either.  In fact, I got a discount applied to a purchase I made prior to registering (after the local store implemented the program) by taking my receipt to the service desk.  Both stores are awesome for doing this.

Our local Home Depot gave me a hassle about it several times but still gave it to me, finally said my VA card had to have disabled on it....Tired of arguing for the few pennies so I go to Lowes....never questioned and always thanked me...same with Ace.

kdbgoat said:
Lowe's has offered a 10% discount everyday now for a while. (At least a year). Home Depot only offers a veteran discount on a few days a year. Lowe's also gives the discount everyday to any honorably discharged vet, not just a few days a year.

Well that's good to know! A good friend of mine is on full disability and told me about the discount some time ago. That's when I looked into it and concluded there were those conditions in place. I've spent a LOT of $$$ at Lowe's and apparently missed out. I'll have to dig out all those receipts and tell them I want a retroactive discount.  Yeah, right...  ;D

I kid this same friend for all the benefits he gets being disabled. Great rates at gov't. facilities, campgrounds, parking everywhere etc. etc. And all he had to do was to serve in Viet Nam, get cancer from exposure there, have both hips replaced and endure countless procedures to get stable. He just laughs. Fortunately we both have a rather weird sense of humor.  :)

HD originally said the discount was only on special days, but I have never been turned down. Both even say Thank you for your service.

The Lowes vets discount has been much more consistent than the Home Depot discount in my experience. Every purchase I've made at Lowes has received it, even when using the self-checkout. I usually present my MyLowes card just because it expedites things a bit, but my phone number also works well.

The True Value near our NY vacation cottage also gives me a 10% vets discount. I was checking out one day, and another customer heard the owner mention the vets discount and asked about it. The owner told him they used to give me the vets, senior citizen, customer loyalty, nice guy, and a few other discounts, but they got tired of paying me to take their stuff, so now I only get the vets discount. :)

Yeah the 10% at lowes adds up.  I bought $300 worth of stuff there a few months back and they forgot to ask my number and i forgot to use my lowes card so no discount.  As soon as i swiped my CC i remembered the discount.  I had to go to the customer service counter and get them to give my discount to me. 

They should really train the employees to always ask for your phone number, but they dont.  But it turned out to be a big savings for me in the end.

Sign up online they send you a My Lowes card present at checkout. Never a problem. Discount and a thank you for you service.

durangod said:
They should really train the employees to always ask for your phone number, but they dont. 

Glad you got your discount, and thank you for serving, but must say, I sure hope places don't start asking for my phone #.  I try and guard it as much as my SS#.

As many others have said here, Lowes gives 10% all the time even on closeouts and clearance items.  I use a MYLOWES card (not a credit card) to get the discount but if you don't have one just show your military ID if retired.  I guess discharged vets would have some other form of ID.  The MyLowes is also a good way to keep track of every purchase you have made at the store.  Sometimes it is a good reference to obtain dates  of purchase, etc.  Home Depot has given me 10% everytime I show my ID card so if they only have special days I guess I hit it lucky for 20 or 30 times......lol

Bill

Back
Top Bottom