1995 Ford E350 - Exhaust Leak - Repair or Not to Repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanteMc

I have a 1995 Travelmaster Montego 28? Class C built on a Ford E350 with the 7.5l engine.  It has 83,000 miles and has had an exhaust leak for at least the past 3000 or more. Eexhaust leak sounds like it is coming from the manifold. I just replaced the catalytic converter last week. It needed to be replaced.  After dying on a road trip and towing home (thank heavens for AAA RV Premire) I drove it the next day with the dog house off and the right manifold was glowing cherry red after a few miles under load (up some hills).

This is going to be labor intensive and not cheap. Other than putting off additional noise when driving is there a compelling reason for me to go through the time and expense?

Thanks!

One reason is the safety of you and your passengers. It's a possible source to get carbon monoxide intrusion into the RV. A second is depending on the outside sound level, it will annoy folks in the campgrounds. Unfortunately, it will also give you a bad first impression to some folks at campgrounds.

If the leak is between the manifold and the head (i.e., bad gasket) over time the leak can erode the head to the point that a gasket will no longer seal it, making it a much more expensive repair. So I?d say for this, and the reasons stated by others, unless you?re planning on getting rid of the rig soon (and even then buyers aren?t going to be happy with it) I would fix it sooner than later. Sorry, it is a big job.

Does your state have a vehicle inspection program? In NH we do and your vehicle would not pass inspection.  There is a reason for extending the exhaust system out the back.  SAFETY.

From experience I know Sun2Retire is correct.

I bought a Class C in the early 80?s with a 360 Dodge with eroded heads. Major project getting them milled.

Tom

DanteMc said:
This is going to be labor intensive and not cheap. Other than putting off additional noise when driving is there a compelling reason for me to go through the time and expense?

Thanks!

Yes there is a compelling reason to correct the leak. Over time the manifold to head exhaust leak will etch the head and no repair will be possible with out removing the head.

For Sun2Retire, Ford did NOT use exhaust manifold to head gaskets on the 460 engine. The leak is caused by the manifold warping and sheering bolts.

All - thank you for the feedback!!

We no longer have emissions testing in our municipality. Was costing more than what it was worth. The leak is not loud.  You can hear when up close but the sound of the muffler is louder than the leak at 5 feet. 

Richard - I have seen comments that there were not gaskets for this model but I see many for sale.  Do you think it would hurt to put one in there?

rls7201 said:
For Sun2Retire, Ford did NOT use exhaust manifold to head gaskets on the 460 engine. The leak is caused by the manifold warping and sheering bolts.

Thank you for jogging my memory. I certainly should have known that as that?s what happened to my 460 powered 94 Bounder. Removed the manifolds and put the Banks headers on.

DanteMc said:
All - thank you for the feedback!!

We no longer have emissions testing in our municipality. Was costing more than what it was worth. The leak is not loud.  You can hear when up close but the sound of the muffler is louder than the leak at 5 feet. 

Richard - I have seen comments that there were not gaskets for this model but I see many for sale.  Do you think it would hurt to put one in there?

Gaskets are just another item to fail. Composition gaskets will make the manifolds run hotter. If you must use gaskets, use copper gaskets.
Those gaskets you see for sale are a must for most headers.

Richard

Go with headers.  I had headers installed on my 96 Chevy 454 after several busted
manifolds and overheating problems .  I've never been happier.  Runs cooler, pulls
hills better and no leaks.

Go with headers.  I had headers installed on my 96 Chevy 454 after several busted
manifolds and overheating problems .  I've never been happier.  Runs cooler, pulls
hills better and no leaks.

If I am going to go through the expense and labor of replacing the exhaust manifold, I might as well do the uptick to headers.  What brand did you install and where did you get them?

Thanks!

A place in Wenatchee  Wa.  installed them for me.  Not cheap but well done.  New 3 inch
pipe from headers to dual in, one out muffler then original pipe back.
Stans Header is what he used.    http://www.stans-headers.com/ford_headers.htm

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom