Montana LLC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

styckhorse

we live in texas,we are in the process of upgrading our RV.
for tax purposes we are considering a Montana LLC.
would like some pros and cons

This topic has been discussed many, many times on this and other RV forums.  I'm sure you can get most of your questions answered from doing a search of older topics.

However, suffice it to say that MT LLC's make the most sense if you are a full-timer and don't keep your RV in your state of residence in excess of the number of days per year that it can be allowed to be there without violating State law.  OTOH if you live in a State and intend to keep the RV garaged in that State then registering it with a MT LLC might be judged to be tax evasion.

Personally, I do have my MH registered with a MT LLC. We are SD residents and don't keep the MH in SD for more than the allowed 60 days per year.

The only "con" is that Texas may still demand taxes  and title. If you and the RV still reside in Texas, merely establishing a Montana (or other state) LLC does not necessarily avoid Texas tax, tag, and title requirements.  I'm not saying it cannot be done, but you need to carefully review Texas law & tax regulations to determine what your status will be.  It's not a slam dunk.

Generally speaking, if the RV is kept in the state and used for personal purposes only, the state is probably going to tax it and require that you get tag & title in that state.

We're likely going to go the LLC route next year when we buy our RV for full timing purposes.  Taking a risk if you're not going to full time or live near the state boarder and can store it in another state.

Back
Top Bottom