How to get wifi at the parks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HairyWBush

They claim they have a wifi hotspot, but I will never get a decent signal at my RV. They tell me there's some 3rd party company that will give me a hotspot for so much $ a month/6 months/year...but can't I just get an extender? Or what about this NETGEAR router I have? I've always just had a service provider and hardwired my laptop, or wifi through an ISP at a relative's so I don't know.

Well even if you get a decent signal you may not get sufficient bandwidth to do anything because so many people are using the bandwidth.
You can get a hotspot from Straightalk that is a pay as you go plan where you pay for the months you need it.
I use them when on the road; make sure you have a AT&T or Verizon Hotspot from them.
You can PM me for strategies to make sure you get one of the above

Last year, We switched from Sprint to Horizon. Last fall, we purchased a Jet Pack from Horizon. As long as we have a signal/bars, the jet pack works great. I plug it in and keep it behind our TV. It's plugged in 24/7 while we're camping.

I use a JEFA tech repeater and it helped a great deal when I was at a park.
If there was a signal it would amplify it good enough that I could use the WiFi without any problems.

The problem that the park had was they didn't purchase enough bandwidth and didn't think they needed to purchase more
so they would turn OFF the WiFi at different times - sometimes for a few days at a time then turn it one few a day or 2 and then it would
be off again.  So when it's off there is nothing you can do except hotspot from your phone or pay for some kind of service etc.

Larry N. said:
Does that look right Rene?

You obviously didn't get the memo. They changed their name just like IHOP did. Or should I say IHOB.
Can't believe I did that. A senior moment AGAIN.  :eek: ::) ;D

Try Millinicom.  $70 per mo for unlimited and very good speed most places.

http://www.millenicom.com/sign-up/    Scroll down....

Park wifi often has multiple shortcomings.  The park wifi signal may not cover the entire park well, there are often many people using it and saturating the system, and once you get on the wifi, you find the internet access bandwidth is so limited that much much happens anyway.  An extender may help with connecting to the park wifi at longer distances, but will be zero help for the other common problems.

You can get an extender and see how & if it helps. It may be all you need in some parks but no value at all in others. A sophisticated product such as Wifi Ranger can do multiple things to assist.
https://wifiranger.com/
And some others listed here:  https://www.usautoauthority.com/best-wifi-boosters-for-rv/

I always carried a wifi booster called the Crance SuperUSB Wifi, but it is designed to connect to a USB port on a computer. If you rely on phone or tablet, it may not be the best choice.

Thanks for the replies guys. I made the decision to just get Spectrum installed. It will be done soon. After talking to the tech people and purchasing for a week (refund if I don't like it or problems), it is literally useless. It will not load a simple web page. It's not worth the attempt at a booster either.
That said, I don't think the park wifi is best suited for such a long stay. A couple months at best.

Spectrum? That's cable tv/internet, right? Thought you were needing something portable for use at different RV parks.  If staying in a fixed location, cable is an option IF they can get it to your park site.

You state in part ;
HairyWBush said:
After talking to the tech people and purchasing for a week (refund if I don't like it or problems), it is literally useless. It will not load a simple web page. It's not worth the attempt at a booster either.

What did you purchase for a week?
What is it that is "literally useless"?

Most parks are a tad... Low on bandwidth.. However some are fantastic. We have a nice Wi-Fi here but it's just in the family center or nearby not through the park.. I"m perhaps 80-100 yards from the family center. My slightly closer neighbors are not able to get Wi-Fi.. Me, no problem

Ubnt (Ubinquitti) nano Station Loco M2 (in my case you might try the M no 2) it is not a USB device it has the same Cat-5/6 jack a Modem would have. IT feeds a Home ROuter (I do not recommend Belkin) and that feeds everything in the house when I'm here. I have been at lest 2 or 3 times as far from the router and still locked on solid.

NOT a 100% solution. does not always get the job done (My M2 for example only was WEP2 not WAP so one park .. No joy)

I am told Wi-Fi Ranger uses much the same hardware..

But still if the park has not the bandwidth. You will have no joy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom