Shattered sliding glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigcanoe

Hi! I woke up to find one of the sliding glass panels, on the rear side window had shattered.  I think it is due to the heat.  I dont see any physical damage that could have caused it.  Now I am searching for a replacement.  New, retail, the glass is $501.  Any thoughts on where to pick up a salvage glass?  Here is the Winnebago part number:098647-29-703

2008 Winnebago Outlook 31C

"New, retail, the glass is $501"  --Yikes!!!  That is pretty darned ridiculous.  I hope you get something for a lot less.

Winnebago said they can make me one for $350 + shipping, 3-4 weeks.  Ugggh.  That's my best option so far.  Hopefully the replacement is a DIY job.

It's not difficult to remove the window frame from the RV and the glass can be replaced by most any glass shop IF they are willing to tackle a window they are probably unfamiliar with. There are glass companies that do "RV foggy window" repairs every day and could handle this easily, but I don't know who to suggest in your area. Some are Suncoast Designers in Florida, RV Fog Dr in Arkansas, Dave Root Glass, etc.

Removing the window from the RV is a reasonable DIY project, even if you've never done it before (their are YouTube videos on the process).  If not willing to tackle that, figure around $200 to remove and re-install the window plus whatever the costs of the actual glass replacement. A real glass shop could do that for around $100 (dual pane glass) but those not in the daily RV glass business would probably contract out to a custom dual pane glass provider and that could easily be 2x or 3x that.

You could try RV salvage yards for a similar size glass assembly, but you still have to pay for remove/install if you cannot DIY.  Click the RESOURCES button and select Parts suppliers to find a list of salvage yards. Or just Google 'rv salvage'.

Thanks Gary! The old window (just the sliding part) is out.  I was wondering if I could just replace the sliding pane without removing the entire window from the RV.  Its not the double pane part that is messed up, just the part that slides and latches.  I will check out the RV salvage links, thank you.

Bigcanoe said:
Hi! I woke up to find one of the sliding glass panels, on the rear side window had shattered.  I think it is due to the heat.  I dont see any physical damage that could have caused it.  ....
It could have shattered due to a combination of factors, perhaps heating-cooling cycles combined with some movement or twisting of the window frame the sliding window rides in. Could have been a defect in the glass itself that took years to manifest.

And yes, window replacements are expensive. If this is a large window, I wouldn't consider it a DIY project if you have to pull the entire frame - bite the bullet and pay to have the work done. If it's a fairly small window, removal is quite tedious but very doable for the average DIY guy.

Mile High said:
Just curious, are all RV windows tempered safety glass?
I would be astounded if they weren't safety glass.

I am hoping I dont have to pull the frame.  I am waiting for it to get below 100 to check it out, ugh, summer.  Right now we have a nice piece of plexiglass fit in there, looks almost as good :)

I had a glass shop build me a replacement glass for one of the small sliders in our 08 Adventurer 38j. I was able to get the old slider out of the frame by reversing a bar clamp and SLOWLY spreading the interior edge of the frame enough to get it out. Once out, it was a matter of getting the metal band off of the top of the old glass without damaging it, and gluing it in place on the new glass. Installation was just the reverse of removal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlm611
Back
Top Bottom