Mods I Have Made So Far To My RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Here is a collection of mods and improvments i have made in my RV so far. 

1.  I added a box spring under the matress (it bearly fit i mean like millimeter bearly fit but i got it in.
2.  Due to adding the box spring, the first month i slept with my head about 5 inches under the full length cabinet that was mounted over the bed.  So the next thing i did was to remove the whole cabinet and shorten it to one door left side of bed.  I used the other pieces for other things in the RV and other projects.
3.  Converted the dinette to a computer desk, since its just me.
4.  Converted the empty space above the fridge to a storage area. Just used a small DIY cabinet i got at walmart and modified the pieces to fit the space.
5.  Installed TV and swing mount.
6.  Installed Radio
7.  Converted the unused space behind the TV into a shelving unit for can goods. I improved the support so it can handle the weight.
8.  Added a new electrical outlet in the dinette area as there was not one.
9.  Added a cable connection outside the slideout for the computer router.  Cut a hole and installed a wired box and cover.
10. Used PVC pipe and two hanging end caps to make a new clothes hanging area in the bedroom, the closet is not big enough. 
11. Removed the door framing and sealed around the door with foam.  There was so much space around the door frame you could drive a car through there lol. 
12. Replaced my awning (by myself).
13. Removed the AC cover on the roof and lined it with screen mesh with lots of silicone to hold it in place.  This keeps bugs from building their nests in there.  PS i also covered up my hitch (5iver) with plastic to keep bugs out (especially those pesky mud wasps).
14.  Added an electrical outlet to the main storage bay.
15.  Switched out all inside bulbs to led.
16.  Removed ceiling lamps from slideout and replaced with slim-line led lights.
17.  Built a permanent shelf in the bathroom.

TODO List:

1. Remove and plug up shower skylight - i have some marine plywood and the special tape already. 
2. Add a male outlet to the side of the trailer and a normal outlet connected to it inside - this will be for a direct connection on a seperate circut on the pedestal for the PC.  This will prevent the APS unit from beeping every time the AC runs.
3. Rip out the old folding sofa, reduce the storage space underneath and put in a normal sofa with recliner included.  Need to watch the weight as this is part of the slideout.
4.  Appliances just turned 11 years old, i suppose its time to save money and be prepared to replace them should they fail.

If i can find them ill add some pics as well.

PS maybe this needs to go in the remodeling section, sorry i didnt see that before.

Just curious why you want to take out the shower skylight. If it is too much light and heat consider this alternative. I cur out a piece of 3/4 R-Max foam, glued a piece of material that I made our windshield curtains out of and pushed it into the hole.....insulates and darkens....easy peasy and I can remove it anytime I want since it is a snug push fit.....just a suggestion.

Hi, the main reason is that the plastic is 11 years old and very brittle and i dont want to replace it as a skylight.  It also leaked when i first got the unit, i fixed the leak but when i went to put the bottom part of the skylight lens back it crumbled in my hand.  So i know the external plastic is just as bad. I am very surprised that it has not broken yet with some of the rains we had last year and even the beginning of this year.  I been putting it off but i need to get it done. 

Yes its a huge potential leak and heat/ac loss.  When i seal it up i will just get a piece of plastic board they sell at Lowes (they sell half sheets) and ill put that over the underside to keep moisture out of the attic.  Since i can see the rafters in the attic i have considered having someone spray some peanut insulation up there to help with utilities.  I know there is no way i am going to plug every hole in the RV, there are just too many and in some places inside the walls there is no insulation at all, i found a few and fixed them, but im sure there are some i cant get to.

Here in East Tx (my first year here 2017) we had the coldest winter in 28 years.  I froze my whoooohooo off.    I promised myself i would be prepared next time.    I do have some electric heaters now but there is more i can do and closing up the skylight which is a problem child is one of them.

Here are some pics of mods..

Attachments

• SANY0001 (Small).JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 8
  • SANY0002 (Small).JPG
    SANY0002 (Small).JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 145
  • SANY0001 (29) (Small).JPG
    SANY0001 (29) (Small).JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 136
  • SANY0001 (4) (Small).JPG
    SANY0001 (4) (Small).JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 126
  • SANY0011 (Small).JPG
    SANY0011 (Small).JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 125
  • SANY0001 (1) (Small).JPG
    SANY0001 (1) (Small).JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 126
  • SANY0001 (Small).JPG
    SANY0001 (Small).JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 115
  • SANY0002 (1) (Medium).jpeg
    SANY0002 (1) (Medium).jpeg
    193 KB · Views: 129
So strange, why did my reply go to its own topic, strange

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,115101.0.html

[quote author=durangod]... why did my reply go to its own topic ...[/quote]
I have no idea, but I merged your related messages into a single topic.

Oh yeah my steps and my new plug also,  and thank you so much that is very kind of you trigg... But if not for youtube i would have no talent at all :)

Attachments

• SANY0001 (Medium).jpeg
    SANY0001 (Medium).jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 59
  • SANY0001 (Medium).jpeg
    SANY0001 (Medium).jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 73
Nice work!  I'd like to see your slim line LED lights in your slide.  The box spring is a great idea.  We've considered that many times and if we ever find a slim one, we'll do it.

Not sure why you want a box spring but there is the option of the curved slats that are available.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00160215/ 

Deano2002 said:
Not sure why you want a box spring but there is the option of the curved slats that are available.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00160215/
A box spring will help a memory foam mattress breathe and not form moisture under it.

Graycat said:
A box spring will help a memory foam mattress breathe and not form moisture under it.
so would slats and not raise the mattress up so high but, might not be the right choice for memory foam

Deano2002 said:
so would slats and not raise the mattress up so high but, might not be the right choice for memory foam
They might work as long as they are ok when the bed is lifted.

Here are those slim led lights sorry i forgot to pose these yesterday.  I kept the little round lining that came with the old lights and used it to help cover the hole, it works for not but one day ill try to find a nice round wooden trim piece to go in there.

Also i put in a little voltage switch to check my battery for how may volts. Its only about just over 6 right now because i have two batteries hooked together.

lol you said i got talent but its not in faux painting for sure.  I tried to blend in some colors to match the paneling around the switch but no good.. So one day ill get or build a little wooden frame to go over the switches and youll never see that mistake. 

Attachments

• SANY0011 (Medium).jpeg
    SANY0011 (Medium).jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 51
  • SANY0012 (Medium).jpeg
    SANY0012 (Medium).jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 47
  • SANY0013 (Medium).jpeg
    SANY0013 (Medium).jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 47
Thank you!  I had imagined a light strip of some kind.  Those look really nice.  Are they brighter than the regular lights you replaced?  That's my main interest in LED lights right now.  Our trailer seems so dark.

I was surprised by how bright they are, they really light up the area.  They are tons brighter than the 12v lights that come with the RV.  When i replaced all my normal lights in the RV with LED's it was somthing i had to get used to because those LED's are really not that bright.  But these lights are great. 

durangod said:
Here are those slim led lights sorry i forgot to pose these yesterday.  I kept the little round lining that came with the old lights and used it to help cover the hole, it works for not but one day ill try to find a nice round wooden trim piece to go in there.

Also i put in a little voltage switch to check my battery for how may volts. Its only about just over 6 right now because i have two batteries hooked together.

lol you said i got talent but its not in faux painting for sure.  I tried to blend in some colors to match the paneling around the switch but no good.. So one day ill get or build a little wooden frame to go over the switches and youll never see that mistake.

I've done a few searches and can't find any 12 volt LEDs with a toggle like yours.  Where did you find them?  Thanks!

took me a while too...  here ya go they work great..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-12V-Bright-Pancake-Light-RV-Camper-Trailer-Boat-Interior-Ceiling-Dome-Light-/252117172469?hash=item3ab35ac0f5

durangod said:
took me a while too...  here ya go they work great..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-12V-Bright-Pancake-Light-RV-Camper-Trailer-Boat-Interior-Ceiling-Dome-Light-/252117172469?hash=item3ab35ac0f5
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom