Berkley RV homeless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
blw2 said:
I think we are blurring the topic.... there are very different things we are talking about...
1) the under employed
2) the panhandler, beggar, swindler,...
3) the disabled
4) the well intentioned but down on their luck
5) the nomads by choice
...all are very different and one does not = the other.

regarding the whole "lack of compassion" thing....  It all seems a judgement based on absolutes.  I don't think anyone wrote or thought that they are ALL druggies and alcoholics, or all cheats, or whatever.... just that some are, or maybe many are....

I find it interesting with any of these sorts of discussions (not just here, but in life generally) that when things get judgmental, perspectives tend towards absolutes, and lumping dissimilar things together..... for example, a person disagrees with some action that a person does, so that automatically means that the first person is a rascist against whatever race that second person he disagrees with is...
It really doesn't matter that the word racism means that there is a belief that one particular race is 'superior' in some way to another.  You disagree with a particular action therfore you must somehow think that your race is better than that theirs....  it just doesn't make sense. 
It's about the deed, not the genetics.

I think a review of the 1st page of this thread indicates many absolutes. I believe those that jump to make such initial judgmental statements don't consider the entire situation at hand. I feel too that some responses are in a small manor just to help boost their post count without adding any significance to the topic.

Also I believe that compassion, empathy and sympathy comes from the soul, more than anywhere else. It is not a matter of religion nor taught principals, although there is something to be said for that. Case in point, within one family of multiple siblings you'll have a range compassion, empathy and sympathy from sibling to sibling. All brought up in the same environment and morale standards - everyone is different.

Sorry - I have no solutions to the woes of mankind, all I can control is my own life, and remember the Golden Rule.
I hope that someday being of the most intelligent species on Earth we'll have the compassion to solve these maladies of mankind.

Corky

Senator said:
I have never seen a homeless problem that a bit of work would not solve.

Not all homeless people are jobless and unless you know individual circumstances, one should not make assumptions. 

... ?Obama phone?  Low income families have been eligible for discounted telephone service for decades. But the program is funded by telecom companies, not by taxes.
Just for the record, the FCC Lifeline program that provides home and mobile phones is funded by an extra fee on our phone bills that is federally mandated.  Technically not a tax, but it's not funded by telecom company profits either.  You & I pay for it directly when we pay our phone bills and most phone bills state it as a separate fee.

Isaac -

The homeless population is not a stable group of people. Many have fallen into homelessness and eventually transition into stable housing. But even with a job or other income that will pay the rent, putting together first and last month's rent plus a damage deposit can be daunting. I don't know of any places in the country where there is not a waiting list for subsidized housing.  There is a lot of competition for those places. When people get one, they tend to hang onto it. As one person finds a way out of homelessness, someone else is falling into it.  In places like San Francisco, that is a buyers market. There are a lot more people falling into homelessness than are getting out.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Just for the record, the FCC Lifeline program that provides home and mobile phones is funded by an extra fee on our phone bills that is federally mandated.  Technically not a tax, but it's not funded by telecom company profits either.  You & I pay for it directly when we pay our phone bills and most phone bills state it as a separate fee.

And signed into law before President Obama took office by George Bush

FenderP said:
Minimum wage in most small towns is a livable wage.  If you work hard, have integrity, and treat others as more important than yourself, you will grow as a person and your career and wages will grow with you, but even if the higher wages do not come, it?s still a satisfying life to earn an honest living and not be a burden to others because of laziness, lack of integrity, or fear of moving away from where you grew up.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/06/08/heres-how-much-you-would-need-to-make-to-afford-housing-in-your-state/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.8d36dbda4e0b

RossWilliams said:
Isaac -

The homeless population is not a stable group of people. Many have fallen into homelessness and eventually transition into stable housing. But even with a job or other income that will pay the rent, putting together first and last month's rent plus a damage deposit can be daunting. I don't know of any places in the country where there is not a waiting list for subsidized housing.  There is a lot of competition for those places. When people get one, they tend to hang onto it. As one person finds a way out of homelessness, someone else is falling into it.  In places like San Francisco, that is a buyers market. There are a lot more people falling into homelessness than are getting out.

This was my initial point, that there are a lot of cheaper places to live or try to make a living at the lower end of the employment scale than the San Francisco bay area.  As to wait lists on subsidized housing, in some areas the wait list is shorter than others.  Around where I live in western Louisiana I know the wait list is relatively short, and people tend to get in after only a month or two of wait, sometimes less. The area does have a distinct lack of higher paying jobs, but if one is willing and able to work there are jobs out there.

Issac -

Have you ever moved someplace with no money, no friends, no place to stay and no job? And, in many cases, with no transportation. And most communities are really not all that welcoming to homeless people who come to town. To the contrary.

I lived in the Bay Area upon my discharge from the USN, I lived in my car for about 6 months, i.e. homeless. I never sponged off anyone including family, I worked a full time job at a Short Stop Store, took daily showers at a local truck stop, I ate peanut butter a lot, bologna sandwiches were a treat. I saved my money and in 6 months I could afford an apartment in San Pablo, and I worked in Fremont (I couldn't afford Fremont).

Moral of the story, I refused to move back home as much as my mother asked to make it easier for me. I refused help sans that occasional meal, and I inched my way to independence.

I along with everyone else knows that not every person who is homeless is a derelict, but I am also not blind to the that fact that derelicts exist in vast numbers among the homeless in our country. I NEVER give money to a homeless person with a sign.

As callous as it may seem, I have a heart hardened to the homeless. I pray for them, I hope they found what I found, and I often give my time to the local homeless charities. Because, the homeless mostly don't give enough care to even clean up after themselves. I am just a heartless SOB who thinks that everyone has an opportunity to succeed if they care enough.

RossWilliams said:
Issac -

Have you ever moved someplace with no money, no friends, no place to stay and no job? And, in many cases, with no transportation. And most communities are really not all that welcoming to homeless people who come to town. To the contrary.

I have...and worked myself out of it.

RossWilliams said:
Isaac -

And like my sister-in-law and her husband, he worked at a good paying in San Francisco and when he retired, knew they could not afford SF any longer, they wised up and moved to Roseburg, OR. No one says one must stay in a community they cannot afford.

California's biggest problem WRT attracting homeless people is it's mild climate. Why would someone endure the summer heat and winter cold in the rest of the country when they can have enjoy to perfect weather year-round in CA?  The Pacific Ocean is a huge moderating influence so nine months out of the year the temperature is moderate and dry.  During the winter months you'll get rain, not snow because almost always the temperature stays well above freezing, even overnight.

San Francisco's climate is close to perfect for outdoor camping.  Los Angeles and Sacramento do get hot during the summers but the temperatures rarely go into triple digits and most nights cool off nicely.

Paul 1950 said:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/06/08/heres-how-much-you-would-need-to-make-to-afford-housing-in-your-state/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.8d36dbda4e0b

Yeah, that article has nothing to do with my post. Read my post again and you will see I said ?most small towns?. The state average will surely inflate that. Besides, WP.

Wow, I'm surprised this thread has not been shut down.  Congratulations for keeping it relatively civil with minimal reference to politics and religion.  It shows we can have a discussion on any topic and this is one discussion that we need to have.  The homeless situation is only going to get worse.  And while some may think this topic has run it's course, and we need to move on, personally I believe homelessness and RV squatters will negatively impact RVers and RVing in general and we need to make sure that doesn't happen. 

FenderP said:
Yeah, that article has nothing to do with my post. Read my post again and you will see I said ?most small towns?. The state average will surely inflate that. Besides, WP.

I dont disagree with your assessment about state averages, however, the problem is that there are few jobs in small towns.  One of the underlying problems is that wages have fallen far below the rate of inflation for most of the last 40 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom