can I

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jr brown

I know nothing about this so please help.  Here it comes stupid question. Can I put dish tv on my 5th wheel . told you stupid question. ;D  Chief

That is not a stupid question.

Yes you can,  You might need a roof mounted Dish antenna or you can use a ground mounted antenna on a tripod or a base.

Use the receiver from home and wire it directly or thru a switch if one exists in your fifth wheel.

Yes you can. Dish also has a rv package you can get on a month-to-month basis
We have it .you can go to walmart.com and get the antenna package and use your box from home.
Have Xfinity at home. Kids have dish so we use one of their boxes

Simple answer - YES.

Several dish location options are available.
1.  Manual setup dish on a tripod that can be moved to get the best reception.
2.  Automatic dish that can be placed in a location to get the best reception.
3.  Manual or automatic roof mounted dish which requires nothing blocking the satellite to get reception.

Be aware that if you take a receiver from your house and ask to change your service address for get local channels, you will screw up local recordings at home. Since I am a huge PBS Mystery fan, this was a no-go for me. I had my home DISH set up to record them all, so we bought a month to month with a Pathways 2 tripod mounted antenna and another receiver. We wanted something mobile since we park in a lot of shaded spots. The antenna is automatic, and it works well. It chews up a lot of battery power while boondocking though, so we used to unplug it when we had the trailer. We will have a lot more solar and more batteries on the motorhome, so I am not sure if we will unplug it in the future. It took about 5-10 minutes for it to come alive each time, so we just planned for it.

We recently switched to DISH, because we could not get local channels at our home thru Direct. First RV outing.....Buyer?s regret. Can?t wait for the two year agreement to end. As was stated by UTTransplant, if you try to get local channels ( at your location), you will not record your programs at home. Life was much better with Direct.....even if ?all? we got was east/west feed, from the ?alphabet? networks.

Just to be clear, the "will not record your programs at home" issue is a result of having only one account and not a matter of Dish vs Direct.  If you have only one account (bring a receiver from home) with either service, any change you make affects both the mobile location and the home location.  That includes designating a different service address for local channels.  If you need to manage mobile differently than the home receivers, you must get a separate mobile account.  However, that costs more than borrowing a receiver from the single home account.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Just to be clear, the "will not record your programs at home" issue is a result of having only one account and not a matter of Dish vs Direct.  If you have only one account (bring a receiver from home) with either service, any change you make affects both the mobile location and the home location.  That includes designating a different service address for local channels.  If you need to manage mobile differently than the home receivers, you must get a separate mobile account.  However, that costs more than borrowing a receiver from the single home account.
Thanks Gary, I wasn?t very clear about that. We did get separate accounts. Since the RV one is only for the days/months we want it turned on, I thought it was well worth the money. There are lots of trips we don?t even pull the satellite out of the storage bay, so I don?t have to pay anything g for it then. I really like Dish, and I like getting local news and weather (plus that important PBS) when in the middle of nowhere with no OTA availability.

We have Directv and dh wanted to "bring a box" from home and hook it up.  Well no can do as we have a whole house dvr.  We had to buy a "stand alone box" from directv and then we bought a satellite receiver just for the rv.  We have to pay a monthly fee of $7.00 on our account but our new box.  And the new box isn't set up at all with our home dvr and is strictly for our use on the road.  This might be something to look into if you have directv.  Now we just need to have an opportunity to "try it out." 

Having a separate box installed in the RV doesn't change the one-account situation.  The extra receiver box is still associated with the home account, so if you make an account-level change such as service address (to get different local channels), it affects all the receivers on that account.  Neither Direct nor Dish provide any method to say that receiver X is in one location and receiver Y another. 

We have a Dish Hopper w/Sling installed on our coach, and another Hopper w/Sling installed in our upstate NY cottage. When we change our service address to our current RV location, our cottage Hopper also changes, and of course can't receive the new locals if we're beyond the spot beam they use as expected. However, since our cottage Hopper does still receive the local stations OTA, we can still use it to record local programming that we can later watch on the road using the DishAnywhere app on our FireTVstick. When it really gets interesting, is when we switch to locals that are on a CONUS (CONtinental US) beam that can be received anywhere in the lower 48. When one of our daughters is using the cottage, they're sometimes surprised to find out they're getting the Jacksonville, FL or Louisville, KY locals for instance, as well as the area OTA locals.  :)

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Having a separate box installed in the RV doesn't change the one-account situation.  The extra receiver box is still associated with the home account, so if you make an account-level change such as service address (to get different local channels), it affects all the receivers on that account.  Neither Direct nor Dish provide any method to say that receiver X is in one location and receiver Y another.

I get what you are saying.  we use to have two houses and we had "boxes" in both houses and it was only one account.  We just "had to call" directv and let them know when we moved from house to house.  The really nice thing was we didn't have to pay for additional boxes for the second house.  I don't think they would do that now.

I hope dh is up for calling directv.  I use to not mind calling, but now their customer service has gone downhill so badly that I hate to call them.  And with them being AT&T they are no longer focused on anything, but selling you on an At&t plan.  The last time I called I finally had to get very firm that I was NOT changing phone carrier.  It took 4 "No I am not interested" answers to get my point across! 

Can you change the Service Address (not billing address) online?  I know you can do a reset and other routine actions online with Direct. We had the national "distant" network service when we used Direct (and before AT&T), so never had to change service address.  I've heard that Dish offers this, but not sure about Direct.

With Dish, you can change your service address either by phone or online using "Chat". If your account is flagged as an "Outdoors" account, you can also change it with a smart phone app.

Gary RV_Wizard said:

We have a Winegard Pathfinder X2 for Dish and a 211z receiver in the motorhome. We also have Dish at home and have never had a single show not record while we were on the road. These are NOT separate accounts, We call Dish, explain the situation, give them our temporary address, get the local channels for that location...our Hopper goes on recording stuff at home.

BoomerD said:
We have a Winegard Pathfinder X2 for Dish and a 211z receiver in the motorhome. We also have Dish at home and have never had a single show not record while we were on the road. These are NOT separate accounts, We call Dish, explain the situation, give them our temporary address, get the local channels for that location...our Hopper goes on recording stuff at home.

Does your receiver at home continue recording programs from your home locals via satellite? The non-local programming doesn't change, so that will record at home ok. As has been said, that temporary service address applies to all receivers on the account.

NY_Dutch said:
Does your receiver at home continue recording programs from your home locals via satellite? The non-local programming doesn't change, so that will record at home ok. As has been said, that temporary service address applies to all receivers on the account.

AFAIK, yes. ABC, NBC, etc. shows all still record (I THINK) Dang-it...now I'm gonna have to check that when we go out next week...

BoomerD said:
AFAIK, yes. ABC, NBC, etc. shows all still record (I THINK) Dang-it...now I'm gonna have to check that when we go out next week...

Unless you are in a service address area with a spot beam that reaches your home dish, your home receiver will not receive those network channels. If you can receive them over the air at home, you could record them that way though.

An issue that I didn?t see addressed is that there are limited satellite dishes that will get HD programming through direct tv. The carryout dishes will not for instance. Once we switched to dish, we can get all Hd channels, except our locals.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom