Why do we not see more of this (5th wheel Tow vehicles)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCrew

I'm just curious why in all the years camping, I can think of maybe two times I've seen:

Using an OTR tractor to pull a 5th wheel. Not like weight or length would be an issue, so why is it not more prevalent? Don't need a CDL for private use, can weigh up to 80k, pull about 50' + of trailer, and they're good for a million + miles. Heck, it wouldn't even break a sweat in many cases. Why don't we see more of it? What am I missing?

of course, in some states such as Florida, the length of a travel trailer (and I assume a "fifth wheel" is nothing more than a subset of the travel trailer category, the max being 40 ft, and the combination being 65 ft total.

Try buying insurance for such a beast, try going to get groceries in it.

Charles

Most of the "OTR tractors" I've seen towing a fifthwheel are specially designed for the job, and not up to task a "full" tractor would be.

The Escapees Forum has a whole section dedicated to HDTs.  Most HDTs are highly modified for pulling a fifth wheel.  Not everyone has the time, money or interest to do so.

While they look spiffy and are certainly up to the job they are not very practical for everyday transportation the other 50 weeks of the year. Thee owners are likely retired truckers who who full time. Who else would want one?

You can get a very nice, clean, class 8, do all of the work (yourself or hired-out), to convert it into a very nice RV 5th wheel ) hauler......for far less than a new, loaded-out 4WD  3/4 or one ton pickup. And many, Volvo comes to mind, have a tighter turn radius than does a 4 WD pickup truck. Also, far more room and far more comfortable than a pickup truck!  The only real drawback, they “suck” on snow/ice.....but most of us avoid those conditions anyway.

Actually.....most of those using HDT vehicles where never “professional drivers”! The have heavy, 20 K pound + 5th wheels, and many set theirs up to haul a “Smart Car or similar). So, they actually work out pretty well.

In many cases, the HDT itself has been configured to qualify as a motorhome for registration purposes. Most states have requirements for some basic amenities that must be included to qualify. Standard Class 8 tractors are usually "singled" from the original dual rear axle setup, since the weight capacity is not an issue with all but the heaviest 5'vers. Most also have a custom made rear deck added that can be used to haul motorcycles, ATV's, or a Smart car sideways, or a Jeep, etc., the long way while towing. As said, the Escapees forum has an entire very active section devoted to HDT's.

Memtb said:
  You can get a very nice, clean, class 8, do all of the work (yourself or hired-out), to convert it into a very nice RV 5th wheel ) hauler......for far less than a new, loaded-out 4WD  3/4 or one ton pickup. And many, Volvo comes to mind, have a tighter turn radius than does a 4 WD pickup truck. Also, far more room and far more comfortable than a pickup truck!  The only real drawback, they ?suck? on snow/ice.....but most of us avoid those conditions anyway.

Other drawbacks are the 9, 10 or 18 speed non-synchromesh manual transmissions requiring knowing how to "double clutch" as you row through the gears, although full or partial auto-shift transmissions are making inroads.

The 13' 6" height of most sleeper tractors (you need the sleeper space to add the items to "convert" it into a motorhome for registration and insurance) complicates using it as a daily driver and rules out taking it into parking garages and many service shops.

Not to mention waiting for the air brakes to pump up every time you want to run  to the store and getting atrocious fuel mileage until that big engine comes up to full operating temperature.

It also helps if you are  mechanically knowledgeable.  A half million mile tractor may run for another half million miles, but it will require ongoing repairs and maintenance.  You don't have to do the work yourself, but recognizing what work is needed and being able to communicate that to the mechanic doing the work is a definite plus.

Lou, as you stated the auto?s are making huge inroads and also have improved greatly. Not having experience with all of the ?newer? manual transmissions that are in service, out old ?96 Frieghtliner with a 13 speed, was actually ?easier? to run thru the gears that our ?07 Dodge 6 speed, especially when ?splitting? the gears ( not necessary with light loads).
  If we were full-timing, and ?not? doing off road, and snow/ice.....we wouldn?t even hesitate in going HDT!

An HDT is actually on my dream list, too having driven Class 8 rigs during the Central Valley's summer tomato harvest.  Maybe when my 7.3L Powerstroke bites the dust, although an HDT with sleeper will look ridiculous pulling my 29 ft. travel trailer.  Currently I'm averaging 18 MPG solo, 12 MPG towing the relatively low profile trailer, another reason I'm not in a hurry to make a change.  ;)

Very good overview of HDT pulling fifth wheel here:

http://www.jackdanmayer.com/

If I was fulltiming or "most the" timing, and pulling a big fifth wheel, there's no doubt in my mind about using an HDT. For what it costs for a new 3500/4500 dually, it's a no brainer about the HDT.

Memtb said:
    Jack?s been doing it for many years.....as knowledgeable as anyone!

And now he's in the business of converting/selling HDT's. Yep, he does know his "stuff"!  ;D

http://jackdanmayer.com/

http://rvhlifestyles.com/

I've seen a lot more than 2-3 and even knew a lady who drove one (towing a 42 ft Royals International), but I'll grant it's not common. It's kind of like a schoolie conversion in that it seems cheap and easy, but ends up being a lot more effort and $$ than expected. You buy the tractor cheap and then the fun begins.

Some other hang-ups not yet mentioned include getting the commercial rig re-titled as a private vehicle and finding an insurer who will write a policy for it.

Getting it re-titled as a private vehicle is why you "convert" the HDT into a motorhome.  The exact process varies state-to-state, some are easier than others and a few are downright impossible.  But usually it means equipping it with a sleeping bed, external power, cooking facilities (microwave), a refrigerator and toilet (porta-potty) so it can qualify as a motorhome.

That's before you start thinking about what kind of bed to cover the bare frame rails behind the cab, removing the commercial hitch and replacing it with an RV version (again, required to qualify as a motorhome in most states) and any other custom touches you want to put on it.

Then be prepared to enter and be waved through any truck scales you run across, or risk being chased down and pulled over by the highway patrol because you look like a commercial vehicle that dodged the scales.

Converting an HDT to a motorhome is not the only way to re-title it as private.  There is no legal requirement in any state that an RV hauler or other private-use HDT/MDT have bunks or galley or toilet, but it may be the shortest path through the DMV bureacracy in some cases.  Seems like an expensive way to get around a bureaucratic hurdle, though!

In Florida you need a CDL above 26,000 lbs GVWR (private vs commercial use does not matter). If it is an RV, that does not apply. If you are using the Class 8 tractor as a tow vehicle for a 5th wheel, but the tractor itself is not an RV all bets are off. Probably while pulling the RV you could get away without the CDL but when bobtailing it, you would be required to have a CDL for sure. Then there is the issue of an air brake endorsement.

I think this type of issue has been beat to death many times in the past on ever RV discussion forum there is.

Charles

Yeah, Charles is right. Making it an "RV" skirts some legal and bureaucratic hurdles.  Those hurdles differ state by state, so it's always a confusing conversation to have in an online forum, where each of us is likely to be citing different regs and different DMV procedures.

Florida does not require a CDL to operate a registered RV regardless of the weight:

CDL Exemptions

The following persons are exempt from the requirements to obtain a commercial driver license:

Drivers of recreational vehicles used for recreational purposes

https://www.flhsmv.gov/driver-licenses-id-cards/general-information/license-classes-endorsements-designations/

Back
Top Bottom