Why do we not see more of this (5th wheel Tow vehicles)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
  The GMC "Kodiak" was a great cross between a pick up and the HDT,,it was not as high and difficult to enter as the HDT but higher and heavier built than the pick up.>>>Dan

The year we wintered in Yuma there was a camper who altered a long haul tractor to pull his 5th wheel.  But he added a rack to hold his ForTwo Smart Car sideways behind the cab.  He loved it, but I don't know what modifications he had to make.

Ed

Florida does not require a CDL to operate a registered RV regardless of the weight:
Right, Dutch, and Chas already stipulated that.  The fly in the ointment here is that "recreational vehicle" is not clearly defined in the Florida regs.  It's reasonable to say that a private vehicle equipped with living facilities is clearly a "recreational vehicle", but not so clear that any large truck is "recreational" simply because it is privately owned.  For example, if it had a pick-up bed or flatbed on the back, is it an RV or just a big pick-up truck?  Is a private pick-up truck "recreational"?

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Right, Dutch, and Chas already stipulated that.  The fly in the ointment here is that "recreational vehicle" is not clearly defined in the Florida regs.  It's reasonable to say that a private vehicle equipped with living facilities is clearly a "recreational vehicle", but not so clear that any large truck is "recreational" simply because it is privately owned.  For example, if it had a pick-up bed or flatbed on the back, is it an RV or just a big pick-up truck?  Is a private pick-up truck "recreational"?

The point is that Florida and other states allow registering a Class 7/8 as a "motorhome" if it meets certain criteria. If the truck is so registered for personal use, whether it's towing a 5'ver or not is immaterial, a CDL is not required regardless of the weight. And that's partly why folks go to the trouble of converting them to qualify as a motorhome instead of just a personal use truck. Another reason is to actually use them as a mini-motorhome for short trips, while the 5'ver is in the shop, etc.

The point is that Florida and other states allow registering a Class 7/8 as a "motorhome" if it meets certain criteria.
I think that "certain criteria" is what is began this debate. Do you know what they are?  I think we all agreed that Florida exempts RVs, including motorhomes, from the Florida commercial requirements, including CDL.  However, if the Class 7/8 vehicle doesn't meet themotorhome  criteria but is still a private vehicle, then what statutes apply?  That's a legal gray area, IMO.

All that aside, I have lived in Florida for 41 years and been active in the Florida RV scene for 20+ years and have not seen or heard of any hassle with private Class 7/8 tow vehicles.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I think that "certain criteria" is what is began this debate. Do you know what they are?  I think we all agreed that Florida exempts RVs, including motorhomes, from the Florida commercial requirements, including CDL.  However, if the Class 7/8 vehicle doesn't meet themotorhome  criteria but is still a private vehicle, then what statutes apply?  That's a legal gray area, IMO.

All that aside, I have lived in Florida for 41 years and been active in the Florida RV scene for 20+ years and have not seen or heard of any hassle with private Class 7/8 tow vehicles.

Look at Florida  form TL-13 "CERTIFICATE OF TITLE REQUIREMENTS FOR RECREATIONAL VEHICLES, MOBILE HOMES AND OFFICE TRAILERS".

http://www3.flhsmv.gov/dmv/Proc/TL/TL-13.PDF

This section in particular on TL-13-05:

"ConversionAffidavit:"

"In the case of an individual converting their own vehicle and requesting to have the identity changed on the title in order to have it registered and licensed as a recreational vehicle, the customer must submit an affidavit to the tax collector.  The affidavit must certify that the unit has been converted to the extent to include one of the aforementioned items to qualify it as a recreational vehicle.
EXAMPLE:
This is to certify that I, ______________, owner of a (Year) __________, (Make)_______, (VIN) ___________________, hereby request the vehicle be classified as recreational vehicle for the following reason:
( ) Installed 110 volt electrical wiring
( ) Installed LP gas piping
( ) Installed plumbing system"

We are at the cottage and saw this pull in late yesterday afternoon, at a cottage not too far from ours.  It is plated out of Alberta, unfortunately there was no one around when my grandson and I walked back from the beach.

Ed

Attachments

• IMG_2595.JPG
    IMG_2595.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 20
Thanks, NYDutch.  I had not come across that Florida statute before.  I can see how that might be a fairly easy way to get a medium or heavy duty vehicle out of the commercial classification and into the "RV" class, thus bypassing the question of commercial vs private use & operation.

Yes, Florida seems to make the conversion pretty easy. Other states have similar requirements, although most require a few more RV features such as a bed, a means of cooking, and a toilet. With a truck sleeper though, the requirements are still pretty easy to satisfy. A microwave takes care of the cooking, and a port-a-potti the toilet requirement.

I have seen a full size OTR semi tractor WITH sleeper re-done with an RV size 5th wheel and electric brake control  (She converted a former OTR tractor).

I've seen Trail-Haulers. which are Peterbuilt "Local" (Designed to pull like a 28 foot van in a city with low bridges) tractor or Mini-Pete if you like
I have seen several of 'em in 30 years give or take. but they are not all that common.

They are all that expensive.

But hey.. Some folks do not ever ask the salesman "Can My Truck Tow This"  They know it can and then some. .

Here's a photo gallery of Class 7/8 HDT's that have been converted to private RV hauler use. A low mileage (~150,000 miles) HDT suitable for conversion can be bought for significantly less than a new 3/4 ton pickup, and there's never a worry over whether it's enough truck for the trailer.

http://www.hhrvresource.com/member-trucks

Click on the individual photos for more details and photos about the truck shown.

Back
Top Bottom