From NY to ? And back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ditsjets7

Hi all, so despite the two big trips we have planned with our class C later this month and then in August, I can?t help but look forward to next year. The reason we bought the rig (200331 Foot Leprachan) was to gonfrom upstate NY, to out west, and back again. I?m excited and also really trying to get as much as information as I can to see what we can do. The priority is Yellowstone. The other parks we want to do are any and all of the big 5 in Utah, Hrand Canyon, redwood, really as much as possible. My two boys are 8 and 10 years old. Jets the catch. Although I am off each summer, my wife can only take off two weeks at a clip. She could do two weeks, work a week, then two weeks again. She telecommutes so she could work from the road. I?ve never been out on the road out west. We ha e some great trips planned to NC, Deleware Beach and Maine this year, but I can?t help but think about how badly I want to go across this great nation next year. Looking for guidance/suggestions.....Yellowstone is definitely at the top of my list. Thanks everyone.

Mike

For the westward trip, plan lots of time. Distances are long and you need to spend more than a day or two at places like Yellowstone.  Avoid long days of driving and one night stands.  Experienced Rvers typical plan only 250-300 miles per day and do not expect to travel every day either.

You will probably need a Verizon or AT&T cell modem. Any others are very spotty even in Upstate New York. This will allow her to try to telecommute from the campground. Of course the campground must have a cell tower near it.  Out west there are big areas not covered completely by cell service; West Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and Utah are some states that come to mind. In those instances pick a camp ground close to or in a town when she needs to work not the peaceful country camp ground.
On the other hand you could purchase her an inexpensive  round trip air ticket from a LARGE city to New York. Unless you are in a small  upstate town with crappy air service where the price is never low.  for example RT  Chicago/ NYC is about $225 on Fridays but Chicago/Syracuse is double the price. If you qualify AA has a 60000 mile bonus if you get their credit card. That is enough for at least 2 round trip tickets for her. And United has 40000 miles plus a $100.00 statement credit but occasionally they go to 60000 as well. So she gets one you get one  that's about 4 round trips taken care of if she NEEDS to go home

Working in the road is doable, but Verizon is the best carrier for data, and you will need to plan where you are when your wife needs to work.  (I am assuming you can spend five weeks on the road, but she will need to work online the middle week, right?)

Also, I would NOT suggest that you try to see all of those places in one trip.  For example, try the northern national parks next year and the southern ones the following year.  And consider altitude and how it affects temperature.  For example, Grand Canyon, even the south rim, is at 6,500' and is likely to be in 80s in the summer, although it could also be in the 90s.  Zion, however, is hotter all summer.  Here is a climate site you can use to at least estimate the predicted temps. https://www.usclimatedata.com/ 

I just left Yellowstone, and it has almost no cell service or data for internet, so your best bet would be Grizzley RV Park in West Yellowstone. However, since parking is so bad inside the park for RVs in summer, you might want to consider renting a car in West Yellowstone and leave the RV in the RV park for the day. 

http://sturgismotorcyclerally.com/ 

If you are going through that area from the end of July to the end of August you better have reservations. 500,000 motorcycles show up and campgrounds are packed.

Wow, thanks everyone for the information. I think our goal is to spend at least a week in Yellowstone itself. The more I read here the more I think my wife working from the road is going to be really tough to pull off. That said I think I might be able to convince her let me and my 2 boys a few days head start and she could fly into say Chicago. Time is the challenge with planning this trip. I have heard renting a car in Yellowstone is a good idea. I also heard it?s great to be in the RV due to having to go the bathroom if there is a traffic jam. My two boys always ha e to go at the worst times it seems. I know it goes Against with many of you veteran RV years have told me here, but I think 500 miles a day is what I am looking at to get to Yellowstone and spend ample time there. My wife is a good relief captain on straight roads anyway, so that helps for sure.

I hear the Northern part of the park has the best wild life. Any suggestions on campgrounds? Thanks everyone.

Mike

A road atlas and a decent GPS will be a god send to have. If you don't have them then buy them.

At 31ft you will get into Fishing Bridge which has hook ups is bookable and fairly central. For the north I'd suggest either the first come first served campground Mammoth or Yellowstone RV in Gardiner.

Wildlife is all over the park. We've seen wolves at Lamar and Hayden Valley and near Norris. We've seen bears in different locations. They are most active in May/June I believe.

Consider the Tetons too....

Over our varios trips we have bypassed several parks only to regret those decisions.  Thus we have made additional trips to knock those off of our "bucket list".  I would say that each and every National Park is well worth the designation and worth the time to visit.  Some of our favourites were Mesa Verde, Hovenweep, Arches, Canyonlands, Grand Canyon, and many more.  Plus there are some very great places to visit north of the border when out west, such as Banff, Lake Louise, and the Royal Tyrrell Museum and Hoo Do's  & Bad Lands.
    The suggestion to get a good 4G service needs to be investigated as your wife likely would have problems trying to used park wifi for work, they are notoriously slow.  Gary's advice to take your time is also valid, there is just so much to see, and the distances are long.
    We have done Florida to California twice, and several trips Florida, midwest then home to Nova Scotia.  You may need to plan some stops that are kid friendly, places with waterparks, or near amusement parks.  Otherwise you will lose them to "I'm bored" syndrome.  Plan your route, but not your time frame, other than heavy tourist places like Yellowstone you shouldn't have a problem finding site a few days in advance.

Ed

So exciting! I'm also from Western NY (Rochester) and am going out west. I'm taking my kids for a trip across the country leaving July 31 of next summer and returning the following June 1. My kids are 17, 15, 14, 13, 11, and 10. Can't wait!

ditsjets7 said:
Wow, thanks everyone for the information. I think our goal is to spend at least a week in Yellowstone itself. The more I read here the more I think my wife working from the road is going to be really tough to pull off. That said I think I might be able to convince her let me and my 2 boys a few days head start and she could fly into say Chicago. Time is the challenge with planning this trip. I have heard renting a car in Yellowstone is a good idea. I also heard it?s great to be in the RV due to having to go the bathroom if there is a traffic jam. My two boys always ha e to go at the worst times it seems. I know it goes Against with many of you veteran RV years have told me here, but I think 500 miles a day is what I am looking at to get to Yellowstone and spend ample time there. My wife is a good relief captain on straight roads anyway, so that helps for sure.

I hear the Northern part of the park has the best wild life. Any suggestions on campgrounds? Thanks everyone.

Mike

I think having your wife fly out is a great idea.  You could go even further West, say to Billings, MT.  Billings to Yellowstone is a one day trip.  You could have almost two weeks in the park, then back to Billings for the return flight.  Just be certain the park is open given all of the fires in the West.

Other posters seem to have fed you a lot of good information that I can't really add any more to.  However, I question some of their campground recommendations.  I'm not sure where you might find space for a
200331 Foot Leprachan
;D

Molaker said:
Other posters seem to have fed you a lot of good information that I can't really add any more to.  However, I question some of their campground recommendations.  I'm not sure where you might find space for a  ;D
All the comforts of home, and more lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom