Vehicle and Trailer Weight Determination

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nate in FL

So maybe this is an obvious question but it's one that I have continued to ponder...

There is obviously a LOT of talk about trailer weight, gross vehicle weight, tongue weight, axle weight, etc... and then there are weight ratios that are important to consider. My question is, how does one go about actually getting these weights for their loaded trailers and vehicles? Obviously dry weights are known and stamped on vehicles, but I would like to determine these important forms of weight while my truck and trailer are loaded.

Is this done at a truck weigh station? If so, are we allowed to drive into any truck weight station to obtain these weights and what weights can they provide? Is there anything I need to know before driving into one, aka any proper protocol? Is there anywhere else this can be done?

I am towing an 8200 lb trailer with a 2017 F250 so I am not concerned that I am anywhere near capacity, but I am still very interested to know where I stand. Thanks!

Nate in FL said:
So maybe this is an obvious question but it's one that I have continued to ponder...

There is obviously a LOT of talk about trailer weight, gross vehicle weight, tongue weight, axle weight, etc... and then there are weight ratios that are important to consider. My question is, how does one go about actually getting these weights for their loaded trailers and vehicles? Obviously dry weights are known and stamped on vehicles, but I would like to determine these important forms of weight while my truck and trailer are loaded.

Is this done at a truck weigh station? If so, are we allowed to drive into any truck weight station to obtain these weights and what weights can they provide? Is there anything I need to know before driving into one, aka any proper protocol? Is there anywhere else this can be done?

I am towing an 8200 lb trailer with a 2017 F250 so I am not concerned that I am anywhere near capacity, but I am still very interested to know where I stand. Thanks!

Yes, it is my experience that you are welcome to get weighed at any truck stop as a Private Weight. I pull onto the scales pick up the phone that is hanging adjacent to the scales, the scale desk answers, I ask for a Private Weight, they weigh me, I have to go into the store pay my $8.00 and get my weight.

Note we're talking about privately run scales at truckstops.  Don't pull into a state run weigh station along the highway, their purpose is to check commercial vehicles for compliance, a private vehicle will be told to leave.

An exception is a state like Oregon, which leaves the scales and their outside weight display on when the scalehouse is closed.  If you come across one of these closed scales feel free to use it.

Another way to get more accurate weights is to use a service like Escapees SmartWeigh or RVSEF's Wheel Position Weighing.

Both of these services use plate scales under each wheel position so you get individual side-to-side weights, not just the axle-by-axle weights offered by truck scales.

Escapees SmartWeigh has permanent locations at their RV parks in Bushnell, Florida and Congress, AZ and at their Livingston, TX headquarters.  They also weigh RVs during their annual Escapade (the next one is March 2018 in Tucson) and at their RV Boot Camp locations.  RVSEF weighs RVs during their annual conference and at various RV rallies around the country.

Other sources of private truck scales include sand & gravel yards, moving companies, and grain elevators. All those companies mostly buy & sell by truckload weight, so usually have scales. A typical fee is $8-$10, but some may be free during off-hours.  It's not unusual for small town grain elevators to leave the scale on 24/7, so you can drive by at night and do some weighing without holding up others. Probably not going to find a grain elevator in Florida, but commercial sand & gravel yards are common.

When I got mine weighed, it took three readings. The first was the truck only. Pull onto the scale and disconnect the trailer. Then hook up the trailer and take another reading. Subtract the two and this gives you the tongue weight. Then pull the truck off the scale and take a 3rd reading. This will give to the weight on the axles.

There's actually a chain of truck scales called CAT scales.  This web site is both a locator for the nearest site as well as full directions - including a video - on how to get weighed.

https://catscale.com/

Lou Schneider said:
Note we're talking about privately run scales at truckstops.  Don't pull into a state run weigh station along the highway, their purpose is to check commercial vehicles for compliance, a private vehicle will be told to leave.

An exception is a state like Oregon, which leaves the scales and their outside weight display on when the scalehouse is closed.  If you come across one of these closed scales feel free to use it.

Another way to get more accurate weights is to use a service like Escapees SmartWeigh or RVSEF's Wheel Position Weighing.

Both of these services use plate scales under each wheel position so you get individual side-to-side weights, not just the axle-by-axle weights offered by truck scales.

Escapees SmartWeigh has permanent locations at their RV parks in Bushnell, Florida and Congress, AZ and at their Livingston, TX headquarters.  They also weigh RVs during their annual Escapade (the next one is March 2018 in Tucson) and at their RV Boot Camp locations.  RVSEF weighs RVs during their annual conference and at various RV rallies around the country.

Sorry for the late reply but thank you everyone. Lou thanks for the great information! I actually live in the Tampa Bay area and pass the Bushnell area just about anytime I travel north so I am definitely going to use the Escapee service at some point. Unfortunately the website says that location is closed until September, as I was hoping to do on my way to GA next week :(

In the mean time I have located a CAT scale on my way up that I plan to use. Thanks again guys!

Back
Top Bottom