That crazy ol' English language...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
signcut said:
Simple enough, once you get it spelled out, so to speak...  lol

First, the capitalized Buffalo refer to the city in New York; some of the buffalo are animal, and some have a variant meaning (not common, but not unknown, either). I'll write it out, using parentheses to insert non-essential words that make it more understandable, and brackets for other explanation; if you want to make it easier, re-read it and skip the bracketed info.

Buffalo buffalo [entirely correct inversion of buffalo from Buffalo] (that other) Buffalo buffalo intimidate [variant meaning] (also) bully [another variant] (other) Buffalo buffalo.

The entire sentence is grammatically correct, because no commas are required with a restrictive clause, the word buffalo has multiple meanings, verbs/adverbs are not required in this particular sentence (reduced relative clause), and the plural of buffalo is... buffalo.

I love the English language, but it can be crazy sometimes...

:)
Thanks for that explanation Fender.  The only problem is the English only have 2 buffaloes - the town and the animal......  well as far as I know ???

jackiemac said:
Thanks for that explanation Fender.  The only problem is the English only have 2 buffaloes - the town and the animal......  well as far as I know ???

I?m not smart enough to get the credit for that. It is signcut.

I saw a Coker Wheel once (look that up in your Funk and Wagnalls).  :)

I remember this from the Boy's Life, a scouting magazine from YYEEEAAAARRRSSSS ago:

Betty Banter bought a bit of butter,
The butter Betty Banter bought was a bit bitter,
And made Betty Banter's batter bitter,
So Betty Banter bought a bit of better butter,
This made Betty Banter's bitter batter better.

The skunk sat on a stump... The stump thought the skunk stunk... The skunk thought the stump stunk... Who stunk the stump or the skunk?

Say this one fast:

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? A woodchuck could chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

Repeat after me:
One fat hen

One fat hen a couple ducks

One fat hen a couple ducks three brown bears

One fat hen a couple ducks three brown bears four running hares

One fat hen a couple ducks three brown bears four running hares five fat females sitting on a stump

One fat hen a couple ducks three brown bears four running hares five fat females sitting on a stump six saucy sallies sipping cider by the seaside

One fat hen a couple ducks three brown bears four running hares five fat females sitting on a stump six saucy sallies sipping cider by the seaside seven Sicilian sailors sailing the seven seas

One fat hen a couple ducks three brown bears four running hares five fat females sitting on a stump six saucy sallies sipping cider by the seaside seven Sicilian sailors sailing the seven seas eight egotistical egoists echoing egotistical ecstasies

One fat hen a couple ducks three brown bears four running hares five fat females sitting on a stump six saucy sallies sipping cider by the seaside seven Sicilian sailors sailing the seven seas eight egotistical egoists echoing egotistical ecstasies nine nubile nuns nibbling nicks knacks nuts and nicotine butts

One fat hen a couple ducks three brown bears four running hares five fat females sitting on a stump six saucy sallies sipping cider by the seaside seven Sicilian sailors sailing the seven seas eight egotistical egoists echoing egotistical ecstasies nine nubile nuns nibbling nicks knacks nuts and nicotine butts ten two ton truckers trucking ten tons of tomatoes to Toronto

:-X

Six short shirt sorters shirk sorting shirts.
Go ahead and say it fast 3 times. Then go wash your mouth out with soap. Where I live we warsh things.

Back
Top Bottom