Fuel filler tube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chopshop

When filling up the gas tank recently, I noticed that there was some dripping happening during the fill process. Unfortunately, I didn't notice the dripping until the tank was almost full. Drove the MH home crawled under to take a look and noticed multiple cracks in the filler tube. My question: Can I change the filler tube with almost a full tank of gas? In other words, does the fill tube go into the the tank on top of the tank or on the side of the tank near the top?

I'd hate to disconnect the current filler tube and have gas spewing out everywhere. Thanks!

Logic tells me it's located on the side near the top of the tank, I'm thinking I should be fine??

Look at the hose. It should have a hose clamp and if you look closely you should see that it fits over a metal tube.

If you want to make sure that there will not be any leakage then jack up slightly the side with the filler tube.

HueyPilotVN said:
Look at the hose. It should have a hose clamp and if you look closely you should see that it fits over a metal tube.

If you want to make sure that there will not be any leakage then jack up slightly the side with the filler tube.

Yep, it looks fairly simple to replace.... 2 hose clamps with a flexible filler hose. GREAT advice for jacking the MH up a little bit on that side, thanks!

HueyPilotVN said:
Your Welcome.

I just respond to the easy ones.

I let Gary, Lou, and the other guys, (or gals) do the harder ones.

Hahaha  :)) :)) :))
And I still get it wrong, lol

I agree, I'd first try to snug up the filler tube, but don't get crazy, you don't want to crush the metal tube that is part of the tank.

I agree, I'd first try to snug up the filler tube, but don't get crazy, you don't want to crush the metal tube that is part of the tank.

It's far beyond that, multiple cracks in the filler tube. I can see where the gas was leaking out; the tube was looking wet and was darker in color.

Call me crazy, but here's what I did! Some strange reason I can't find a 40" filler hose, I'll find after more searching, I'm sure of that. Ok, I was talking to a couple mechanics about at my barbershop, and both said to duct tape it until I can get a replacement. So, that's what I did! Took the MH on a maiden voyage this weekend, 500 miles total, and the gorilla extra thick tape worked flawless.... took my time and wrapped it very tight around the filler tube and it did the job. Now to start doing some more research and get it fixed the right way....

NY_Dutch said:
Most auto parts stores sell fuel filler hose by the foot in various diameters.
I've tried Napa and O'Riley's to no avail. They have the hard straight fuel tubing,  not the flexible kind I need.

chopshop said:
I've tried Napa and O'Riley's to no avail. They have the hard straight fuel tubing,  not the flexible kind I need.

I replaced a "bent" fuel filler hose several years ago using a couple of shorter pieces of straight hose with a 45 degree stainless steel exhaust pipe elbow clamped between them. It's still working fine...

NY_Dutch said:
I replaced a "bent" fuel filler hose several years ago using a couple of shorter pieces of straight hose with a 45 degree stainless steel exhaust pipe elbow clamped between them. It's still working fine...

I was thinking about this as well, glad to know it worked out for someone else. If I can't find the flexible line I'll be using this method for sure. I've been searching online for marine exhaust/fuel line and did find a seller that has 1 3/4 flexible line, but it won't be in stock for another 5 weeks.

chopshop said:
I was thinking about this as well, glad to know it worked out for someone else. If I can't find the flexible line I'll be using this method for sure. I've been searching online for marine exhaust/fuel line and did find a seller that has 1 3/4 flexible line, but it won't be in stock for another 5 weeks.

With a little luck, that tape job might hold up long enough then.  :D

Back
Top Bottom