Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: Question about batteries and keeping unit plugged into shore power  (Read 210 times)

mabgenre

• ---
  • 2006 Winnebago Aspect 23
Question about those batteries and keeping unit plugged into shore.  2006 Aspect. 30amp, plugged into 110 home receptacle.  In and out each day while working on it. Is that okay or should I not keep it plugged in. Some times run A/C. Is there a battery disconnect switch on this model?  I haven't noticed a switch but will dig in the manual.  Any reference someone can direct me to for checking water in batteries?

edit by staff - split post off an existing thread and made it a new topic
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 07:34:55 AM by John Canfield »

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
Re: Question about batteries and keeping unit plugged into shore power
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 07:41:05 AM »
My Horizon is plugged into shore power all of the time but I have a very good three-stage battery charger that knows how to properly float charge batteries. I'm not sure if your charger can properly float charge the batteries, you could call the manufacturer and ask or look in the manual for the charger.

In the Winnebago and Chassis Resources thread at the top of this board are links to many valuable and useful resources, one link is to Owner Manuals - download yours and print it for a handy reference.

My house battery disconnect switch is by my entrance door but I'm a Class A pusher, not sure where yours is located.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

HueyPilotVN

• ---
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 09:31:05 AM »
Check your batteries at least once a month to be sure that they are not boiling dry
Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
2 Jeep Commanders
Mustang Bracket Race Car
Retired from the road to Lake Havasu after 35 years on the road

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 11:23:56 AM »
You can check the "water" in flooded cell batteries using the procedure shown at https://www.wikihow.com/Check-Car-Battery-Water-Levels

We call it "water" because that is all you ever add, but it's actually a water-acid mix.

I think it should be ok to leave a 2006 Aspect plugged in 24/7 but periodic checks of the battery water level will tell you for sure. As long as level stays pretty much OK over a 3 month period, it's fine. If you see that water is being lost ("boiled" away) fast enough to require more frequent water top-ups, I would reduce the amount of plug-in time so that it's not charging all the time. If you are plugged to a 120v outlet at home, an appliance timer can automate that easily.  An appliance timer will handle 15-20 amps and can be set to operate 2-3 hours each day, plenty to keep the coach charged up.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 11:00:01 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 11:38:33 AM »
And if you do find your batteries needing a top-off of distilled water too frequently, there are some good three stage chargers that would work well for you. I think we have a link in the Winnie resources thread about such a change-out.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

mabgenre

• ---
  • 2006 Winnebago Aspect 23
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 01:23:47 PM »
Thanks. Very helpful info and video.