Question about batteries and keeping unit plugged into shore power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mabgenre

Question about those batteries and keeping unit plugged into shore.  2006 Aspect. 30amp, plugged into 110 home receptacle.  In and out each day while working on it. Is that okay or should I not keep it plugged in. Some times run A/C. Is there a battery disconnect switch on this model?  I haven't noticed a switch but will dig in the manual.  Any reference someone can direct me to for checking water in batteries?

edit by staff - split post off an existing thread and made it a new topic

My Horizon is plugged into shore power all of the time but I have a very good three-stage battery charger that knows how to properly float charge batteries. I'm not sure if your charger can properly float charge the batteries, you could call the manufacturer and ask or look in the manual for the charger.

In the Winnebago and Chassis Resources thread at the top of this board are links to many valuable and useful resources, one link is to Owner Manuals - download yours and print it for a handy reference.

My house battery disconnect switch is by my entrance door but I'm a Class A pusher, not sure where yours is located.

You can check the "water" in flooded cell batteries using the procedure shown at https://www.wikihow.com/Check-Car-Battery-Water-Levels

We call it "water" because that is all you ever add, but it's actually a water-acid mix.

I think it should be ok to leave a 2006 Aspect plugged in 24/7 but periodic checks of the battery water level will tell you for sure. As long as level stays pretty much OK over a 3 month period, it's fine. If you see that water is being lost ("boiled" away) fast enough to require more frequent water top-ups, I would reduce the amount of plug-in time so that it's not charging all the time. If you are plugged to a 120v outlet at home, an appliance timer can automate that easily.  An appliance timer will handle 15-20 amps and can be set to operate 2-3 hours each day, plenty to keep the coach charged up.

And if you do find your batteries needing a top-off of distilled water too frequently, there are some good three stage chargers that would work well for you. I think we have a link in the Winnie resources thread about such a change-out.

mabgenre said:
Question about those batteries and keeping unit plugged into shore.  2006 Aspect. 30amp, plugged into 110 home receptacle.

2004 Adventurer 33V. I was told to never use the disconnect the batteries switch, I think I read that in the Owner's Manual too. I'm 50amp, plugged into shore power 24x7, run AC and dehumidifier 24x7.

If you aren't on shore power (or gen set) and you will be in that situation for more than a couple of weeks, then shut off the house with that switch. No reason to leave it on and discharge the batteries unnecessarily.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom