Campground Wording - What is your interpretation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camperAL

Hi Folks,

Had a campground word a reservation in a way I am not sure what they mean. Wonder what others think they are saying. I will put the sentence up exactly as I received it and would be interested in how others interpret this.

"The cost for this site will be $37.75 plus tax.  We give a 10% discount for AAA, Good Sam or Military, just present your card at the time of check-in.  Or we offer a 20% discount if you pay cash."

Thanks in advance. I'll comment after I get some input.

Sounds like $33.98 for AA, GS or Military, or $30.20 cash

Cash, no credit/debit card. As in "I can put the cash in my pocket and not report it"

In th UK some credit card companies charge a fee for using the machines, perhaps they don't pass that charge on if you pay cash?

What they are saying is they adhere to the old saying CASH IS KING.  No bank fees, no opportunity for someone to protest the charge, no stolen cards, No charge-backs and best of all they do not have to wait for the money.
For some entities insurance is based upon the gross receipts "on the books". Cash is usually not put on the books immediately.

Hi,

I'll comment to what I think it means, as others have commented a 10% discount with AAA, Good Sam or Military or If I pay cash a 20% discount without needing any other form of discounts.

Again will comment later on this to get other comments if campers are willing to respond. Thanks so far!

The 10% discount usually only covers the tax portion of payment,(you could probably claim membership in the Chinese Communist party and get the discount)  Cash is always king!!>>>Dan

Credit card companies usually charge a fee to process the card. I try negotiating with small, local stores and vendors for a discount to pay cash. If they won't then I use the card and they loose a little profit on the sale and I gain the reward points.

Unless you told them about various affiliations in advance, or that you were going to pay cash (in which cash the discount could already be built in to the $37.75 number), I stand by my original interpretation.

Oldgator73 said:
If you claim one the organizations that you receive the 10% discount for and then pay cash do you then get an additional 20% off for cash?

I doubt it.  "Or" means "or".

Well comeon camperAL, you going to just leave us all hanging here?  ;)

Sun2Retire said:
Sounds like $33.98 for AA, GS or Military, or $30.20 cash
While I dislike seeing a bunch of "me to's" or "ditto's", in a topic, the above is what it sounds like to me as well.  Keep It Simple Stupid! (KISS) :)

Hi Campers,

O.K. won't leave you hanging any longer. The original quoted statement was by the camp ground. While $4 or $5 dollars doesn't bother me, dishonesty does. Again here is the exact statement used:

"The cost for this site will be $37.75 plus tax.  We give a 10% discount for AAA, Good Sam or Military, just present your card at the time of check-in.  Or we offer a 20% discount if you pay cash."

The owner of the campground stated (after I dragged it out of her) that you get a 10% discount with either AAA, Good Sham, and a Military Card. If you pay cash with one of those three discounts you get another 10% or 20% total. The way I read it was I had a choice of using one of the three methods OR using cash for a 20% discount. She said no and I had to have both even though the wording to me sounds like a 20% discount with cash.

I feel she was being dishonest/deceptive and she said she thought it was very clear. Tell me if I am wrong. Many thanks!

camperAL said:
Hi Campers,

O.K. won't leave you hanging any longer. The original quoted statement was by the camp ground. While $4 or $5 dollars doesn't bother me, dishonesty does. Again here is the exact statement used:

The owner of the campground stated (after I dragged it out of her) that you get a 10% discount with either AAA, Good Sham, and a Military Card. If you pay cash with one of those three discounts you get another 10% or 20% total. The way I read it was I had a choice of using one of the three methods OR using cash for a 20% discount. She said no and I had to have both even though the wording to me sounds like a 20% discount with cash.

I feel she was being dishonest/deceptive and she said she thought it was very clear. Tell me if I am wrong. Many thanks!

I agree with you.  She needs to change the wording of her offer.

20% off for cash seems a little high.  I'd be surprised if Master Card, Visa or AE get much more than a few percent for their service.  Example - more and more, when we buy gas, there are cash and credit card price.  Most often $.10 a gallon more for credit.  If you buy 15 gallons of gas for cash at $3.00 per, you pay $45.00.  If you charge the gas and pay $3.10 a gallon you've paid another $1.50.  That's probably ball park of how much goes to the card company.  Some service stations charge as much as $.20 a gallon for credit.  IMHO, that's money in their pocket. 

As to the comment that maybe not all the money is ending up on the campground owners tax return, that may not be too far from the truth. 

You'd have a much better read on the person than I do here, based on body language, attitude, and such.... But my thought..... she probably wasn't being dishonest.  More likely just not an English major in college.....

You can find poorly worded signs and such almost daily if you look for them.  Just search my posts and you'll no doubt find lots of them.

on that point, here's a funny book on punctuation.  Hard for me to read since the author is British and so the language is a bit 'odd' to this American, but still funny I  thought.
https://www.amazon.com/Eats-Shoots-Leaves-Tolerance-Punctuation-ebook/dp/B000OIZSVY/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1530821404&sr=1-1&keywords=%27eats+shoots+and+leaves%27

and of course, remember the Prairie Home Companion...."brought to you by the Professional Organization of English Majors"

Back
Top Bottom