Campground Wording - What is your interpretation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have an  MEd so most folks automatically think I have a handle on proper grammar and punctuation. Not so. I am also terrible at soeling....speling......spellin, well you get the gist.

camperAL said:
Hi Campers,

O.K. won't leave you hanging any longer. The original quoted statement was by the camp ground. While $4 or $5 dollars doesn't bother me, dishonesty does. Again here is the exact statement used:

"The cost for this site will be $37.75 plus tax.  We give a 10% discount for AAA, Good Sam or Military, just present your card at the time of check-in.  Or we offer a 20% discount if you pay cash."

The owner of the campground stated (after I dragged it out of her) that you get a 10% discount with either AAA, Good Sham, and a Military Card. If you pay cash with one of those three discounts you get another 10% or 20% total. The way I read it was I had a choice of using one of the three methods OR using cash for a 20% discount. She said no and I had to have both even though the wording to me sounds like a 20% discount with cash.

I feel she was being dishonest/deceptive and she said she thought it was very clear. Tell me if I am wrong. Many thanks!

I think that she could have been clearer in her explanation of the rates. I don't think she was being intentionally dishonest. 

Doubtless the sign is clear to the campground owner.  My interpretation is different from her intention and she sounds too inflexible to consider changing the sign.  I wonder how many times she's had the discussion.  Maybe the sign's wording was deliberate. 

"brought to you by the Professional Organization of English Majors"
Were they a member of the National Federation of Associations?   

Hi,

There was no sign. This is what the email said that she sent to me when I was planning a trip a while back. She also said the same thing verbally to me over the phone.

While I feel it was probably just a poor choice of words that she sent/said, she got pretty angry when I was just trying to clarify if I would get a 20% discount with cash or not. Kind of like she had been caught. Sometimes tone in the voice and someone's unwillingness to simply say only 10% with cash unless you use a AAA, Good Sam, or Milltary card as well for the 20% discount.

Still think the park owner was trying to deceive me.

kdbgoat said:
Cash, no credit/debit card. As in "I can put the cash in my pocket and not report it"

Let me tell you the story of a thing called Credit and how they rip you off today
They double dip when you use your plastic and they make a killing that way.

(That sings to: The man who never returned  or Charlie on the MTA (two titles, one song)

You know when you use your credit card unless you pay in full every month they hit you with usurious interest rates (Anything over 20 percent used to be illegal)

WHat many do not know is they DING the merchant as well..  So if the merchant is paying 20 percent. he is simply passing on the discount.

Make sure you get a reciept.

xrated said:
Just hand the lady 2 twenty dollar bills and 2 dimes.....then tell her to give you a $10 bill back for your change.  Problem solved!

I'm really sure she would have charged me $37.75 minus 10% and gave me back $6.22 less the tax though.

One of the places we used to go to very often offered 'discounts' for cash and it turns out the person accepting the cash imbezeled hundreds of thousands from the owners of the property by pocketing the cash.  They believed that the park was only about half full on traditionally busy weekends.

They were ready to shut the park down because it was not worth the trouble.

Once they investigated this dirt bag and subsequently fired him the new manager increased their net by 50% because he's a fine upstanding and honest guy.  No more thoughts of shutting it down either.

My writing/instructions for work ALWAYS look clear and concise to me....but I'm the author.  Although I agree discount statement is confusing, I'm pretty sure it wasn't meant to confuse.

I spent right at $200 for 6 days at the RV park a couple weeks ago....and $375 on fuel to get there and back.  We loved every minute.  Without the discount I would have paid $220.  Still substantially less than the fuel.

I think the book is titled, Don't Sweat the Small Stuff?

8)

Hi FenderP, msw3113, butchiiii and others,

Thanks for the support on my interpretation on her email. To be truthful things like this can ruin my day if they get away with it. I have a small business and I have given discounts when there was misunderstandings before, because I didn't want to loose a customer and more important I didn't want someone saying they were cheated by my business. I still think she was being dishonest with me but agree you shouldn't sweat the small stuff. Life too short.

Thanks to all that responded, your input was valuable to me!!

camperAL said:
Hi FenderP, msw3113, butchiiii and others,

Thanks for the support on my interpretation on her email. To be truthful things like this can ruin my day if they get away with it. I have a small business and I have given discounts when there was misunderstandings before, because I didn't want to loose a customer and more important I didn't want someone saying they were cheated by my business. I still think she was being dishonest with me but agree you shouldn't sweat the small stuff. Life too short.

Thanks to all that responded, your input was valuable to me!!

:))

Using the credit card at business's they get charged, usually 3/4 of a percent for the transaction. Depending on the
company who handles the business's transactions.  Some also charge a per transaction fee.  Ours was .20 cents per transaction.
(even if it was declined)  Then of course there are the monthly account fees, machine fees, government fee's,  etc etc... It amounted
to many thousands of dollars at our shop..  And it is a cutthroat business, with salesmen wanting you to swap to their company all the time.

Bob

I think the wording could have been more clear but I don?t see it as dishonest. It would seem strange for a campground to participate in some discount programs but then offer a much bigger discount for cash. Personally, I have never seen it handled that way. I would have been happy with the 10% discount offered and a chance at another 10% if I used cash. That is entirely sensible since it would save the credit card transaction costs charged to the campground.

Back
Top Bottom