What if Social Security Income, SSI, were reduced.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How important is the monthly check to your ongoing RV lifestyle

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul 1950 said:
Even if everyone did that, the divide in the country will still remain the same.

Half the people don't even vote.  So I suspect we don't have a clue what they think or believe.  Not all on the Right are extremists.  Not all on the Left are extremists.  In fact, most people likely fall squarely in the middle.  I doubt we'd hear from the vast majority if they had jobs with living wages, weekend recreation and a retirement without the fear of medical bankruptcy. 

we need Congressional term limits to get rid of some of the "Crazies" that are automatically voted back into office by their political parties.

Saddly,  most people vote party,  instead of person.

sightseers said:
we need Congressional term limits to get rid of some of the "Crazies" that are automatically voted back into office by their political parties.

We have term limits, they are called elections.

Aww,  but most many people are programmed to vote Party,  not person.

just look how accurate those "poll folks"  were in the last election ?  ;D

sightseers said:

Saddly,  most people vote party,  instead of person.

One thing I really object to in our government today is the way Congress votes.  They act like sheeple instead of a person representing the will of many persons.  They do this follow the leader bit to the extreme.  I admire the ones who vote their conscience and the will of their constituents and not just because they are afraid of not being reelected.  Unfortunately those kinds are scarce as hens teeth.

Bill

As I understand it, the actual voting patterns of people who identify as independent show more party loyalty than the people who identify with the parties. There are a lot of people out there who see themselves as independent, but they always independently decide to vote Republican or Democrat.

NY_Dutch said:
Hard to say when one candidate wins the popular vote, and the obsolete electoral system elects a different one.  ;)

No poll gave Trump any chance of ever being elected

I guess they didn't understand how the Electoral College system works either  ::) 

John From Detroit said:
Well some of the information is partially correct.
THe "Fund" is an investment fund administrated by the US Treasure. Doing some checking.

THe SSA says it is fully invested in US-GOvernment backed Securities.

But still the record shows that funds have been "Borrowed" by Congress roughly half the trust in fact. SO if the funds are already US bonds thus invested in the General Fund. How can Congress "Borrow it"? 

Something smells of dead pices

It is basically a ponzi scheme. Something most of us would go to prison for doing -and some have. 

sightseers said:

I guess they didn't understand how the Electoral College system works either  ::)

:))

Of much bigger impact to me would be a more than 30% asset devaluation and a doubling of the price of fuel. Both of which are probably more likely to happen within the next 15 years

sightseers said:

I don't think anyone knows how it really works. With some states selecting electors proportionally, and others "winner take all", there is no equality in the system. The number of electors for each candidate should represent the popular vote, yet it doesn't...

A popular vote system would be a democracy, aka mob rule -the Founders understood that. But we the U. S. are a Republic with a very effective electoral college. People only complain about it when the person they think ought to have won didn?t.

FenderP said:
A popular vote system would be a democracy, aka mob rule -the Founders understood that. But we the U. S. are a Republic with a very effective electoral college. People only complain about it when the person they think ought to have won didn?t.

So your so called "mob rule" is good enough for all other elections in the US, but not for the most important one. The electoral system should at least function the same in all states...

NY_Dutch said:
So your so called "mob rule" is good enough for all other elections in the US, but not for the most important one. The electoral system should at least function the same in all states...

Not according to the Constitution, they shouldn?t. Majority wins is nothing more than mob rule. That?s not difficult to understand.

This really is digressing.  The electoral college was designed to create a political balance between states with very different populations. Its a democratically elected institution where the majority wins. It epitomizes the reality that democracy only works as a governing principal when it is constrained to protect some of the interests of the minority. Thus we are a democratic republic - i.e. both a democracy and a republic. So the argument is largely semantics. The German Democratic Republic (aka East Germany) claimed to be both and was really neither.

As for the electoral college, whatever its original purpose I think the argument is now largely partisan. We have recently had two Presidents who lost the popular vote and they were both Republicans. Given a whole media industry that depends on whipping people into an emotional state to hold their attention for advertisers, its not surprising it has become a hot button issue.

"Majority wins is nothing more than mob rule. That’s not difficult to understand. "

Its easy to understand. It also isn't true. Mobs don't operate based on taking votes.

OK guys, we're drifting into off limits political commentary.  Let's get this discussion back onto the topic of Social Security.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom