The infamous "yellow sticker"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
garyb1st said:
Ours had the lowest CCC.  IIRC, 2,600 lbs.  That was my calculated CCC since the truck GVWR was 10,000 and the CAT scale weight was 7,400 lbs.  Very disappointed when we looked at 5ers.  At the end of the day we would have been over the GVCWR with any 5er that weighed more than 10,000. 

Yup, now that I've got the weight thing pretty well figured out, only looking at 1 tons

The "yellow banner" sticker includes a full tank of fuel, and nothing else.  It has been required since 2009, I believe, but some vehicles had it before then.

A recent review of Ford weights and footnotes indicated max slide in camper wt assumed a 150# passenger in each legal seating position.

For towing a decent size FW, you really need a 1 ton truck.  The question becomes SRW or dually.

Yes, it is confusing!

If you are looking at some examples Hanna Motors Ford photographs the yellow payload stickers on their trucks shown on their website. https://www.hannafords.ca/  Very useful!

Payload is difficult number to calculate, you substract the options from the Max. payload and that is your payload.  The sticker number however seldom seems to match the calculations.

hoss10 said:
If you are looking at some examples Hanna Motors Ford photographs the yellow payload stickers on their trucks shown on their website. https://www.hannafords.ca/  Very useful!

Payload is difficult number to calculate, you substract the options from the Max. payload and that is your payload.  The sticker number however seldom seems to match the calculations.

I thought the yellow sticker payload was VIN specific??  ???

xrated said:
It is, don't get off track with any other comments

Phew, I thought we were going to have to start all over, and I?m sure no one here wants that to happen!  ::) :D

hoss10 said:

Wow that is super cool you know payload for each vehicle thats so awesome love it

steveblonde said:
Wow that is super cool you know payload for each vehicle thats so awesome love it

Yes, too bad it doesn't seem to have caught on

Of course it's VIN specfic,  I don't think  I was getting anyone "off track".

If you are ordering a truck or trying to estimate payload you do not have a yellow sticker or a door for that matter!  I was pointing out away to estimate payload, which usually is off a bit from the VIN specfic yellow sticker.

hoss10 said:

If you are ordering a truck or trying to estimate payload you do not have a yellow sticker or a door for that matter!  I was pointing out away to estimate payload, which usually is off a bit from the VIN specfic yellow sticker.

i think you were perfectly ON TRACK no issue here

Hi Sorry for the delay Sun2Retire,

I think you got your answer but the yellow stickers I saw while looking were most often on the entry door of the class A's. On my particular coach they put the info in the storage cabinet on the wall just to the left of the door (when looking from inside). Best!

hoss10 said:

My apologies......I guess I didn't quite read it that way.....sorry!

So here's my take on the debate.
I've owned 1 ton SRW and DRW trucks. The DRW truck tracks better and carries a load better.
So I currently have a 2013 3/4 ton GMC gasser that I have made upgrades to that improve the towing experience. The #1 most beneficial upgrade is wider wheels. This is a dramatic improvement. I still use the same tire size as the stock optional 265's. The new wheels are 9'' wide vs the 7.5'' that came with the truck. No longer does the truck feel pushed around by the coach. This is for me, better than a dually. Ok, I know, here comes the argument...payload...This truck has a 2981# "yellow sticker". The 2018 SRW diesel 1 ton I just test drove had a payload of 3100#. Alright it was a loaded Platinum edition but it was $82 large, but 200#! I know the dually has way more payload. But I don't want a dually. My pin weight is somewhere around 1900# so I have 1k# left for everything else. I weigh 180 and baby weighs 120. Hitch probably 225 leaving me with about 475# for the rest of my gear. Bilstein shocks and airbags with onboard air, this is a pretty comfortable ride now. I'm close to the max payload but within spec and I am not over stressing the TV. So I don't necessarily agree with the statement here that a 1 ton is a must. A guy has gotta do what he is comfortable with.
I wasn't comfortable with the stock junk leaf spring and electric drum brakes on the coach so I spent a lot of time and money on a serious axle, tire, wheel, and brake conversion for the coach. This made the overly bouncy, inferior braking coach a pleasure to drag around. As much as a 10k trailer could be a pleasure that is.
So to sum it up...For me, no dually and money put into a better performing suspension on the coach and truck. Now I am in my comfort zone. FWIW

Sun2Retire said:
Yes, too bad it doesn't seem to have caught on
  Several reasons why but the big one is the rest of the world out here doesn't use the gvwr based payload sticker for a number of reasons. Biggest is it isn't used to determine a trucks safe/legal load carrying ability. Thats the function of the trucks makers GAWR.
Another is some (not all) of the new gen trucks with a high gvwr has a high gvwr based payload sticker which when its all placed in the bed as payload is overloading the trucks rear axle ratings. This is true with some of the F150 with small rawr....or gas 3/4 ton trucks with a 3500-3640 lb payload sticker.....and several one ton SRW trucks with 4k plus payload stickers.

Coming from the commercial side of the LTL world pulling same size trailers with the same trucks  we look for the truck with the largest RAWR. The larger RAWR gives us more actual PAY LOAD which is the bottom line in this type business..

Just a FYI so carry on.

The GVWR depicted on a certification label found on vehicles built according to FMVSS is their limiting weight factor. The limiting statement reads, in part, like this: "The GVWR refers to the maximum weight a vehicle is designed to carry including the net weight of the vehicle with accessories, plus the weight of passengers, fuel, and cargo. The GVWR is a safety standard used to prevent overloading".

Unless a rule is found that supersedes the above statement it stands as official.

Unfortunately, the GVWR is also just a state registration tool. As I have stated in the past, a 2011 to 2016 F-250 can have the exact same springs, brakes, etc. as an F-350, part number for part number, and the ONLY difference will be the badges on the fenders and the GVWR on the sticker. A 3/4 ton, at less than 10000#, in most states, will be cheaper to register than an identical 1 ton with a GVWR over 10000#.

Then states like mine that have no weights (gvw) for registering our trucks.  We simply carry weight in the bed determined by the truck makers axle/tire load ratings.

To add to Fords F250 certain packages can be the same as the F350 srw ..... is the F350 srw itself.  Ford offers the same exact F350 srw truck in a 10000 GVWR or a 11500 GVWR. Of course Ford gives the 10k  truck a smaller payload than the 11.5k  truck.
Just another example how useless some GVWR and GVWR based payload stickers can be.

I don't see any real conflict in what longhaul and Fast Eagle stated.  Both GVWR and GAWRs need to be heeded, even if no LEO is going to check them on a private hauler.  It's a fact that one or the other GAWR can be exceeded without exceeding GVWR.  Since the definition of "Payload" and OCCC is GVWR minus curb weight, it is evident that a full Payload can exceed one or both GAWRs, depending on how the load is distributed.  It's also fact that loading both axles to the GAWR can (and probably will) exceed the GVWR.    You simply cannot consider any of these ratings out of context.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I don't see any real conflict in what longhaul and Fast Eagle stated.  Both GVWR and GAWRs need to be heeded, even if no LEO is going to check them on a private hauler.  It's a fact that one or the other GAWR can be exceeded without exceeding GVWR.  Since the definition of "Payload" and OCCC is GVWR minus curb weight, it is evident that a full Payload can exceed one or both GAWRs, depending on how the load is distributed.  It's also fact that loading both axles to the GAWR can (and probably will) exceed the GVWR.    You simply cannot consider any of these ratings out of context.

It's a problem that exists when FMVSS standards & FMCSA regulations are mistakenly used to describe tire/axle loads, weights and inflation. The two completely different regulatory listings of regulations are not interchangeable. One of the major differences in tire inflation is the FMCSA do not have manufacturer recommended cold inflations. People reading about commercial tires in any tire manufacturer's commercial tire data book will mistakenly come to a conclusion that their tires should be inflated to the load carried. Try that with your car tires and see how long they last.

All of our highway vehicles need the GAWR load capacity reserves. It's a known factor that we can have axles carrying different loads without exceeding the GVWR. That would not be possible without load capacity reserves. 

Most do not dig deep enough to understand that excess GAWR is a built-in load capacity reserve, very similar to tires haveing load capacities above the GAWR they are fitted to. It's a derivative from the automotive manufacturing standards.  The vehicle limiting factor is it's GVWR. Most states tax a GCWR not GVWR. GCWRs will differ, usually because of gearing. An increase in GCWR does not change a vehicle's GVWR.

Back
Top Bottom