new rv to me with a couple issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhoog

Recently picked up a 1995 Fleetwood Bounder 35' with the Ford 460 motor in it. Paid $6500 has 30K miles on it.  It does have a few things I need to address on it. 
1) It needs all new tires - what do ya'll recommend and use?
2) The generator does not run, it will run when you hold down the button but as soon as you let it go it dies.  (It has been sitting presumably quite awhile, thinking maybe basic tune up on it first, spark plugs, oil filter, fresh oil, fuel filter, air filter)
3) The speakers in the coach only work in the back bedroom.  No others work. 
4) the hydraulic jacks also don't seem to work.  The controller on the dash is missing what I assume to be the on/off button but not sure. 
5) and last but not least...my check engine light just came on.  Anybody know where the OBD port is located?  I have read its in the engine compartment and also heard its under steering column.  I just haven't had time to look just yet.

95 vintage?  Might not have an OBD port.  If it does it will be OBD1 and will offer very little information.
Tires?  What size?  I would not spend much on new tires.  You will never recover anything you put into it.
Generator.  Stsrt with a basic tune up, maybe a carb rebuild.  I would assume the gas is no good, so your going to want to drain the tank and refil with fresh fuel.  But Im guessing it starts as long as you hold in the start button that you have other issues that you will need to trace out.
The rest of the stuff is going to take following the wires.

Currently it has LT235/85/16E on it.  Just wasn't sure if any specific type of tire was needed due to the weight of the coach. 

I am hoping it has at least OBD1 so I can pull any type of code on it to figure out what it needs. 

when I got the coach it was on empty fuel level wise.  I just put about 3/4 tank into it and have been letting it just idle for the time being since I got it home to make sure nothing else comes of it.

Good troubleshooting guide for Onan generators is at
http://www.flightsystems.com/pdf/onan-rv-troubleshooting-guide.pdf

It states;
Q
. Why does my generator start and then shut down as soon as the start switch is released?
A
. Most models require both oil pressure and AC voltage from the generator to keep running.  A lack of AC voltage can
be caused by a variety of problems involving the control board, regulator, generator and wiring.  A stuck oil pressure
switch can also cause this symptom.  The interaction between the various components of the system can be confusing
during troubleshooting.  Use the Troubleshooting Guide to isolate the problem.

Awesome thanks for those guides.  I am going to start with the easiest things first and go from there.  Hoping it doesn't turn into something crazy and get expensive on me. 

jhoog said:
Currently it has LT235/85/16E on it.  Just wasn't sure if any specific type of tire was needed due to the weight of the coach. 

The tires you have on there are Load Range E.  Tires are going away from Load Ranges to Load Index and Carrying Capacity so you want to verify the weight needed for each tire and ensure the ones you buy can carry at least that much weight.  If the placard in the motorhome doesn't show individual wheel weights, take the Gross Axle Weight and select tires that will carry at least half (or 1/4 for each rear dually) of the axle's capacity.  The good news is 16" tires are inexpensive and plentiful - they're used on pickup trucks and one ton flatbeds popular with gardeners, etc.

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/load-range-load-index

I like Discount Tire/America's Tire (depending on what part of the country you're in.)  All they sell are tires and wheels and although they don't advertise it, their stores will work on a motorhome.  Usually you pull around to the loading area in the back and they come out with floor jacks to lift the motorhome.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom