Water Pump Runs no H2O Flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaputnick

First, on city water all is fine and the water fill switch is in the correct position. It was also replace less than a year ago. Water pump runs but no water or a very slight flow; the filter is not clogged.
    Not sure where to go with this next other than replacing the pump. Are there check valves on the downstream site of the pump? I see two gray couplers in line before it enters the system; could these fail?

edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved

Also verify that the valve you say is good really is!! There have recently been several reports that these valves seem to operate but do not. IE the handle turns but the guts do not.

The pump usually acts as its own check valve, i.e. it is designed to allow water to flow in only in one direction.  You can add your own check valve on the pump inlet side if you like, though.  The plumbing diagrams that John cited would show if Winnie installed their own separate check valve. 

One possible reason for no or low flow is that the pump is sucking air.  It doesn't take many air bubbles to severely reduce flow. Possible reasons for sucking air include a cracked water line between pump & tank or a winterizing inlet valve in the wrong position or damaged.  The valve I refer to allows the pump to suck antifreeze from a jug for the winterizing process and not all RVs are equipped that way.

kaputnick: Is the pump able to build pressure and shut off, or does it run continuously?  If there is some flow, it should be able to build pressure to the shut-off point, though it would take longer than usual.

In case others have similar problem:
The pump continuously runs; clear elbow inlet side no flow and strainer is not full of water. One thing of note: drain valve failed at some point driving down the road and completely emptied a full tank. It worked fine after the valve repair but I think the impeller failed finally; pump was probably original since 2006.

***Update***. Replaced water pump and all is well!

All of the failures were the SureFlo Smart 4.5 GPM (?) pumps. Winnebago sent me one when we were in Alaska, then they replaced another one and I think I replaced another one or two. Complete dud of a pump.  Then I installed the amazing Remco Aqua-Jet - that must have been five years ago. I was so leery of pump failures (no dry camping without a FW pump) I bought a spare Aqua-Jet and it's still brand new in the box  :)) .

Back
Top Bottom