What is your tried and true method

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FenderP

Of learning a new song?

Over the years I would grab a tab, memorize it, then just jam along with the music on my mp3. Well, that did not much for me musically and I have recently joined a band. The songs we play aren?t really available on tab so I?m having to ?grow up? musically.

I?m given a chord chart and expected to a) learn the bass Line as the artist recorded it, or B) come up with something that sounds good.

I have had a little success with both, but I don?t really have a set method that I use and frankly I am struggling.  . I thought if some of you more experienced musicians have a way that you stick to because it is solid for you, you might share so I can give them a try.

Any and all comments/help is appreciated.

P. S.  If it matters I play bass and mostly enjoy rock n roll and punk rock but the music I need to learn is praise and worship. Hey, don?t ask me, it?s God?s doing.  ::)

It depends on what you're playing and how repetitive or complex the progressions are.

Mostly Repetition.  Rote.  And don't think about it too much.  Trust your hands to remember.

For complex music I learned a trick from a graduate of the Bass Institute of Technology:  learn the ending first, then go back a verse/movement/whatever, then back to the previous one until you've learned the whole thing.  This way the deeper into a piece the better you'll know it.  (How many times have you watched someone fall apart while performing?)

Does it work?  It's worked for me on some fairly complex stuff.

?Trust your hands?. Wow, that makes sense. It seems when I mess up the most is when I try to think about it.

I never thought doing it in reverse order. I guess that would also force me to focus on the one section instead of trying to get my mind around the entire song at once.

Thanks for your counsel, 8.

As Russ said, muscle memory works, after lots of repetition.

Thanks guys.

?Playing things to death?. Haha.  If ?things? = fingers I?m getting there.  Seriously, I know what you mean, though -go to sleep and wake up with the song in your head.

Try playing piano when you're dyslexic.  Been a number of occasions when my left hand is playing the Treble Clef.  Also makes for some strange sounds. 

If you come across a difficult section that is complicated and fast, load the song into audacity (it's free open source) and you can mark sections to repeat over and over.  You can cut out sections.  You can cut the speed as much as you want without changing the pitch.

ETinMass said:
If you come across a difficult section that is complicated and fast, load the song into audacity (it's free open source) and you can mark sections to repeat over and over.  You can cut out sections.  You can cut the speed as much as you want without changing the pitch.

Now THAT is some right handy information to have, right there, ET.  Thank you!  Speed is definitely a problem for me -i.e. the "interludes" in Iron Man and Sweet Leaf.  Most of the faith-based tunes I am learning do not require speed but I have had some difficulty listening to and learning the recorded bass part by ear.  It sounds like "audacity" will make that a much easier task as well.

That said, in the last four months since I started this I am amazed at how much I have learned my way around the fretboard and about chord/key structures and even transposing.  I guess if you want to really get wet you have to just jump in the pool.

Thanks again!

There are several audio engineering programs (Audacity, Adobe Audition and Cool Edit Pro) that can preform magic tricks such. They can change the speed without changing the pitch. Or change the pitch without changing the speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom