Dang...that was a tight fit...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BoomerD

We both hated the Winnebago Sealy RV queen mattress in our 04 Sightseer, even though it hasn't ever been used a lot...so...today, we went to Costco, bought a Kirkland branded Stearns & Foster full queen...

Getting the old mattress out was easy-peasy...didn't weigh much and was easy to manhandle. The NEW mattress weighs somewhere around 6 metric tons...is at least twice as thick as the old one...and the extra length made it -->  <-- much harder to fit...but finally...we managed it.

(I was reminded of an old adage about a monkey and a football...) :p

The true test will come next week when we take off for a few days. It won't really be any roomier...a queen is a queen...(I had the "filler piece" added to the head of the mattress to make it almost full queen length) but I suspect we'll still sleep better. If not...I get to go through this again and return the mattress to Costco.  :eek:

Oh...and with the water tank, pump, and valves UNDER the bed...as well as some storage, I'm gonna have to jury-rig some kind of prop to hold the end of the bed up. The new mattress is too heavy for the gas shocks to support by themselves.

BoomerD said:
I'm gonna have to jury-rig some kind of prop to hold the end of the bed up. The new mattress is too heavy for the gas shocks to support by themselves.

You can buy stronger shocks to compensate for the added weight. I had to do that with mine. We had shocks but they wouldn't keep the bed raised so we always had to prop it up with a board. We purchased stronger shocks and it works great now.

Those "shocks" are called air struts and are widely available in various lengths and pressure ratings. They are actually the opposite of a shock absorber.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Those "shocks" are called air struts and are widely available in various lengths and pressure ratings. They are actually the opposite of a shock absorber.

yeah...yeah...I know. Also known as gas lifts, gas springs...and a variety of other names.

jackiemac said:
I laughed at the 6 metric tons  ;D

Hope it is a nice comfy one.

We're both in our 60's and at least semi-disabled...it FELT like it weighed that much...and I used a few choice words a couple of times while trying to get the danged thing into the motorhome...

Prop.. Get a 2x2 and cut the end off at about a 30-45 Degree cut (Exact cut is not important
Hook a hinge to that end (on the "long" edge
Screw the other half of the hinge to the wood "Box Under the bed about 2" down from the top

Lift the bed and then swing the 2x2 out and against the wood support so you can mark it, Cut that end square and drive a stud into it. You want the stud to stick up like 1/4 inch. You may also use a screw and washers.

Drill a hole in the bottom of the bed-support board to mate with the stud.

job done.

Here is a company that has a selection of gas springs (or struts) where you might find what you need.
A reducible force gas spring could help you "fine tune" the amount of effort you need for your job.  Just don't let out too much force because you can't put it back once let out.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#gas-struts/=1dlntab

Look for the dimensional size and select the amount of force.

RTsRV

BoomerD said:
yeah...yeah...I know. Also known as gas lifts, gas springs...and a variety of other names.

We're both in our 60's and at least semi-disabled...it FELT like it weighed that much...and I used a few choice words a couple of times while trying to get the danged thing into the motorhome...

Like "monkey" and "football" ?  :p

I just put a new full thickness queen mattress in mine too, but it was one of those mail order ones that comes in the vacuum packed plastic.  pull the old one out, heave the new one in and unwrap it.  It is amazing how it unfurls and expands!  Dang thing is comfortable too, and standard mattress size/thickness.

pull the old one out, heave the new one in and unwrap it.  It is amazing how it unfurls and expands! 

I had ordered a memory foam mattress for our bed since the DH didnt like the comfort aire we had in there. I had planned to do that very thing. Unfortunately, the DH decided to be helpful and unwrapped it while it was in the bathroom before I could get the old mattress out. 15 metric tons? Try 80. Whew.

Back
Top Bottom