Dually Hubcap Removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FenderP

I don?t know if this is considered ?technical? or not, but I need to get the dually hubcaps off my Winnebago and I?m not sure how. When I put pry bars under the lip and pry up it just seems like it is going to bend the lip of the hubcap so that it will not go back on.

I can?t access the outer tire valve stem with the hubcap on. Which is goofy because the factory put extenders on the inner tire stems for easy access. I?m going to buy some 135 degree extenders then install my TPMS, but I still need the hubcap off to install them.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attempting to attach photos.

Attachments

• Hubcap.JPG
    Hubcap.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 39
Most of what appear to be Lug Nuts are decorative however TWO of them are for real. .

Now depending on who made the covers (Called Simulators by the way, not hubcaps, but I'll accept hubcaps) look at the nuts, all 6 sides. IF two opposed sides have "Dimples" pull the chrome cover off (you may need to pry or they make a special plier for the job) if none have dimples then look to see if any of them look "Different" if not then put a lug wrench on 'em and try to loosen. if after a half turn you don not feel a differencer mover on to the next nut.  When you find one the other is 180 Degrees (opposite) it in the circle. Then the simulator comes off.

Mark the nuts somehow. 

Thanks, John. Two of them do have dimples. There is a tool that looks like a ?t? with a lug on the end I tried it but not too aggressively because I didn?t want to mess anything up. I will go out and try it with a little more effort this evening when I get home. I will post how it goes.

If you can pull the caps off the dimpled ones The chrome caps do come off. Mine the front are like that (Well one is the other one the caps are missing) the rear the caps are attached.

The tool you mentioned. that is the simulator removal tool  There should be a piece of pipe, same color, that goes over one side (or the other) of the T to give added leverage.  NOTE that it's not all that good a tool. I use a standard socket wrench socket and something a bit more powerful most of the time.

As John noted the tool is not very good, and if your simulators have not been off in some time it will probably not be able to get them off. Using a socket is the choice and then lubing the simulated lug nuts.  They are not really lug nuts holding on the tire, they only hold the simulators in place. 

Something came up and I didn’t get to it last night but glad I didn’t now that I have read the most recent replies from you guys. I have set aside some time this evening to give it a try with the socket wrench. It sucks being too busy to do what you need to do on the weekend. Haha

I will let y’all know how it goes.  I am very grateful for the help.

Perfect!  I used my socket wrench and they came loose -no need keeping that cheapo on board.  The simulator came off and went on easy.

You guys are great and the cold beverages are on me if ever our roads shall meet!

Back
Top Bottom