Grand Canyon National Park - North Rim or South Rim?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

therealsimpsons

When we leave California after seeing 5 National Parks, we are heading to Lake Mead and then the Grand Canyon.

The North Rim area has one RV Park, the South Rim area has 4 or 5. Which area is best to see? According to Google Maps, they are a 6 hour drive apart, so we have to choose one or the other.

We would be interested in members' opinions and experiences.

P.S. (we are short hikers only..1/2 to 1 mile tops)

Both are beautiful. North higher elevation and cooler. North greener. A few folk I know prefer the North. I like them both....  there are campgrounds in Kanab and Fredonia so not too long  drive to get to north rim if you are not in the campground at rim itself.

Boondocking at South rim on a road called Long Jim Loop forest road 302. Quite a lot of spots I believe.

Both have view points you can drive to but some on South you can only do by the free bus..

Tough choice!!  Enjoy.

Edit... my partner says better views at South..... 

Also there's a wildfire at North so be sure to check before you go.  Just started by lightning apparently...

We were on FR 302 ( about 3 1/4 miles in), just 3 weeks ago. Nice cool nights, we got far enough away from302, to avoid noise and dust. Even saw a small group of elk ( cows and calves) early one morning.  An enjoyable way to spend some time at the “Canyon”!

If you?ve never been to Grand Canyon, I would recommend South Rim - more ranger talks, more history, more views. But put North Rim on your list for a return trip.

I used to live at the south rim for a month or so every year to photograph the Condors. The south rim is the preferred rim for first timers. There is a lot more to see and do. Plus it is 1000 feet lower in elevation (7k v 8k) meaning if you are a flatlander the south rim will be easier on your lungs.

For your first visit, I would recommend the south rim.  There are more historical buildings and more to do.  Also on the south rim, at the eastern end is Desert View Watchtower, which is historical and a very impressive architectural version of a Native American building. There are also pueblo ruins at Tusayan on the south rim.  And some excellent bike trails!  Also better internet access on south rim, and trailer village provides full hookups, which you cannot get on the north rim.

Note that RVs over 30' long can stay ONLY in Trailer Village, not in the Mather Campground.

However, I have to admit that the Kaibab squirrels on the north rim are adorable!! 

Whatever you decide, make reservations NOW!!

Our choice, North Rim hands down. Harder to get to so much less crowded. South rim is a zoo.

therealsimpsons said:
Is it still a zoo after Labor Day...mid Septemberish?

It?s much better after Labor Day, the later, the better. October on South Rim is delightful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom