5th wheel reccomendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dhoff024

I am posting for my father who is looking at trading in his open range travel trailer and going to a 5th wheel. He has had a 5th wheel in the past but now he is working as an independent contractor in Erie Pa and is going to be staying in the trailer during the winter. He stayed in the travel trailer this past winter but it was just to small and didn't do exactly what he wanted. The dealer is pushing him towards a specific one but there are 3 different ones he is looking for and I am kind of looking to see if anyone has any real world experience with any of these 3 5th wheels so that he can make a better decision as to what may work best. 1st one Open Range Light LF319RLS (this is the one the dealer is pushing him towards), 2nd Open Range Light LF291RLS, 3rd Cherokee Arctic Wolf 285DRL4 (dealer states the open ranges are better suited for the winter even though the arctic wolf has the extreme weather package). Just looking for pros and cons and any real world experiences. You can look at specs all you want but I'd rather hear people's experiences and opinions.

Thanks in advance!

All three are more weekend rigs.  If he wants something serious to spend winters in  PA  I would suggest something like a Mobile Suites or Teton.  Both will cost him more but are able to hold up better in bad weather.  Your other options might be Arctic Fox.

I agree with your reccomendations. The issue he has is he bought a Highland Ridge RV Ultra Lite UT2802BH last year and has stayed in it 5 days a week for the past year. The trailer has worked fine for him minus a few issues. He found that living in it as much as he does its smaller than he would like. The issue he is having right now is the one side wall is starting to delaminate. He called highland ridge and they said that living in it year round voids the warranty. They said since it was a manufactured defect they would still warranty it and have it fixed. He wanted the trailer to be replaced but we both knew that wasnt going to happen. They said he could take it to the dealer and it could be fixed under warranty. The dealer says it will take a minimum of 3-4 weeks to be repaired. He is trying to get the dealer to take that trailer back and get him into something else. Hence why his options are between those 3 because that is what the dealer has to offer. He can't trade it in anywhere else because they won't take it with the damage and this dealer will take it because highland ridge has already said they will pay them under warranty to fix it. I know these trailers aren't what you should be using to stay in year round or in Erie Pa winters but it's kind of the only options he has at this point. Plus we are from Pittsburgh area and since he is on a contract he doesnt know how long he will be up there so he doesnt want to overspend and not be able to afford it once his contract is up. Once he is back home it will be used more as regular use than staying in all the time.

If he gets it repaired first, then it can be traded anywhere.  However, the dollar loss on a late-model trade-in is going to really hurt. If he is going to confine himself to what that one dealer is willing to do for him, the options are very limited.

Those "weather packages" are really just an acknowledgement that the base model has no insulation and they are offering an option to put in what was omitted in the first place. That doesn't make it a better year-around choice except in comparison to the same trailer without that option.

That leaves him basically with the choice between those two Open Range models, so thr deciding factor is what suits his lifestyle needs the best.

I agree with your assessment on the "winter packages" that they are just an addition of insulation that weren't included in the first place, as far as trading in his trailer he knows he is going to take a loss on it which there is really no way around at this point. The problem with waiting for it to be fixed and then having to pay for a hotel or whatever other option there is until the trailer is fixed. He feels it would be easier to trade it in and just take a new one back so he doesn't have to find a hotel or another place to stay until it's fixed. He said he would rather put that money down on something new than spend it on a place to stay while his is getting fixed because there is no guarantee that it will be done in 3-4 weeks that is just a guess by the dealer.

I understand about the time delay problem and that it is likely to be at least 4 weeks and quite likely more.  I merely point out that it makes his choice almost zero.  We don't even know what else the dealer might have in inventory that may be better quality.  Nor do we know what features your Dad wants or needs.  Under those circumstances, there isn't much useful advice anyone here can offer.

You are correct it would have made things easier if I gave you more info on the dealer. He is working with all season rv in streetsboro Ohio. The only 5th wheels they have currently are either open range or arctic wolf. I don't know if he would able to get open range to ok a different dealer (that sells open range to fix the trailer and take it in on trade) maybe one with more selection. He would have to check on that I guess.

Dhoff024,  Be ?VERY? careful of most (almost all) of today?s ?advertised? 4-season or Arctic pkg. campers. The represent ?false advertisement? in the highest degree!  If you buy new, and want ?true? wintering capabilities.....the price will start at around $60 K and quickly go up from there.  You can likely get into an Arctic Fox by Northwood for around that or a little more.  Be aware of other units with similar names....kinda like saying a lion is just a cat! All are ?not? created equal!

Back
Top Bottom