Slide out topper locks???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ghostman

Do they make any type of locks that can help against wind un winding slide out toppers while traveling. It has happened twice in. Two different coaches. This on pulled the tube out of mount. It is a Carefree. Just curious . My long one is the main one I have trouble with.

Does Dometic/A&E  use the same size tube as Carefree. If so I should be able to use these. I am still trying to find some diameter dimensions of this. Thanks for the Info.

These days the anti-billow locks are usually built in, so I would think a 2016 model rig would have them already (or should have them). Maybe yours are broken or missing?  What model Carefree topper is it - mine (a 2004) was an SOK II and they have had built in anti-billow devices forever.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
These days the anti-billow locks are usually built in, so I would think a 2016 model rig would have them already (or should have them). Maybe yours are broken or missing?  What model Carefree topper is it - mine (a 2004) was an SOK II and they have had built in anti-billow devices forever.

I didn't know they had devices like that built in. Is this something that would have to be disengaged before opening the slide or is it just a  fairing bolted underneath to then entire length of the roller tube preventing the wind from getting under the fabric.
Is it possible that the OP needs to add a turn or 2 to the roll putting more tension on the spring.

Gary RV_Wizard said:

Thanks Gary that is what I found out upon further looking this morning. I will have to look at it further when we get back home . Mine has the SOK3 . It should have them. I have it remounted and just left the fabric rolled up on tube and ziptied so I can get home. It was pretty strong wind gust right to the front drivers corner. It may have broke the lock. Lucky nothing else broke. Just popped the tube out of the mount. I am beginning to wonder if my bolt had come loose. I don't see any other way it pulled out of mount. It was not stripped. It bolted back in.

How do the locks work? Are they automatically built into the spring like a ratchet. If so how do they release? I see nothing external. Unless of course it is gone. But my other 3 don't look like they have anything external either.

I also know the Domitec anti Billie wont work on mine. I have the wind deflector on the SOC3. I may end up making one I can mount if we get into heavy winds again just to be safe. Of course I would have to remove it before opening. I have a CNC End mill. So I could make something similar. This is only the second time in all my years this has happened. The first time it failed. 

I have clips similar to what dutch posted on my toppers.  I just learned what they are!  It will rotate with the topper.  Once the slide is closed, it can not turn - too close to the camper.  The slide must move out to allow it to turn.

It may be that the "defector" is in lieu of the anti-billow device used without the deflector. My SOK had the locks and no deflector.

I've known many people with SOKs, with and without deflector, and never heard of them billowing, so I'm thinking something is wrong with yours.

Here is the SOK installation manual - maybe some clues there?

https://www.carid.com/images/carefree/items/pdf/sokiii-installation-manual.pdf

Just an update. Got back from vacation yesterday and I took the tube apart reinstalled the spring, tube ,and fabric. Upon putting back on I determined there is no way the wind bellowed the fabric. Once it is retracted I can not pull the fabric or unwind the tube. My conclusion is the 1/4 bolt holding the none spring end of the tube had come loose and allowed the tube to come out of bracket. I did have one other bolt on another topper that was a little loose. Good thing to check once a year. Glad nothing broke and was able to get put back together. Just wanted to pass on the info

Back
Top Bottom